Coaches Team Coaches: Salaried or Hourly?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm just wondering how many team coaches out there are salaried and how many our hourly? Our HC is salaried, but the other 2 main coaches are still hourly. As hourly employees this becomes a problem for us when we miss multiple Friday/Saturday practices for competitions (which we often don't get paid for). If you are hourly is this a problem for you as well?

you should be being paid for competitions equal to what you make for coaching at the gym so that you are not losing money. this is common knowledge and an industry practice. and some of us allow double dipping when it involves senior coaches, and sometimes those with families. it is something earned over years of coaching and NOT an industry practice.:)

I would generally believe that bigger more successful gyms give their coaches salaries compared to gyms not doing as well.

Either generally pay their coaches for meets, sometimes through Boosters.

At our gym casual/part time coaches (may coach squads/team or rec or tricks or tumbling and tramp) get paid hourly but there are a few full time coaches who are salaried I think in our gym there are about 6 coaches who are on salaries which apparently is the most full time employees at any gym in my state so I'd say hourly rates are most common here. As for competitions we aren't paid very well, its $30 a session regardless how long the session goes for.

I get paid hourly. I also get 2 sick days a quarter and will get some vacation time when I have been there long enough. I get paid a coaches fee of $40 per session I coach at meets and a little bit for food and gas. This comes out of the booster club which asesses team members for meet fees and coaches fees. Privates are mine to keep minus 20 percent.

30-40$? That's about 10 dollars or less a session from warmup to medals. Pffft. I much prefer 75-100 or at least my hourly rate (15-20ish).

I get paid hourly. We don't get paid for competitions at my club. Not even travel expenses! Luckily our comps are very short here compared with USA! I miss out on around £75 on a Saturday and £36 on a Sunday! If I have to go both days I'm stuffed!

I should clarify that we do have a separate account for meet fees, which we technically get paid out of. HOWEVER, if there are 5 or less athletes competing, only one coach gets paid. If there are 6+ athletes competing only 2 coaches get paid. There are three team coaches and we coach all levels, so if we ALL attend a meet there are often several sessions we are not paid for.

I coach at a public HS so I get a whopping stipend in March for services from November-February/March which includes coaching, meets (which are lengthy affairs), and any non-practice time commitments (fundraising, 8th grade mock meet, etc.). It works out to about $6/hour.

It is crazy to me that some of you are not getting paid to coach at competitions, and then because you must miss some work to coach at the meet, lose money from your paychecks! You are essentially PAYING the gymnasts to let you coach them at competitions! As dunno said, this is not industry standard(at least not here in the States) and I have never seen this done at a club as standard policy.

Only times I have seen it are maybe for Regionals/Nationals, if it's a smaller team that has only 1 or 2 girls qualified, a coach might volunteer their coaching time to defray the cost of sending a coach for only one girl. But even then, the coaches travel costs would still be covered.

I get paid hourly and then by session for meets at $65 a session (plus food at $45 a day and mileage). We get paid for every session we actively are coaching but a lot of times we stay and watch/help the other levels just because we enjoy it. I am good with this as it is totally my call whether to stay or go. This is a very part-time gig for me, so I don't pay much attention to what I get paid hourly- I think it is around $13. There are three or so coaches on salary and numerous full-time hourly coaches. ( I don't know what they make an hour - but I am hoping it is more than what I make).

^^^This is what I would consider "industry standard". Getting paid per session similar to your hourly coaching pay rate (so $50 to $70 for a coach that normally makes $10 to $15 an hour, $75 to $100 for the coaches who make $16 to $25 an hour). Plus per diem and mileage. And like you said, coaches will often stay to watch or help with levels we don't actively coach, because we enjoy spending time with the other coaches and gymnasts.

Yeah, it's one thing if I volunteer my time, it's another if I'm getting paid diddly. I think it's more of an insult that I get peaved about. If they told me, we the boosters are broke as all get out or can only afford this much; I'd be willing to do something to bring costs down. I might even do it pro-bono if need be for my gymnasts.

That being said, I often will waive per diem and transportation costs (hitching a ride with parents who I can trust to drive competently and keep me safe during the trip). Big savings waiving that and I get to sleep, relax or just chat with parentals on the way there.

It is crazy to me that some of you are not getting paid to coach at competitions, and then because you must miss some work to coach at the meet, lose money from your paychecks! You are essentially PAYING the gymnasts to let you coach them at competitions! As dunno said, this is not industry standard(at least not here in the States) and I have never seen this done at a club as standard policy.

Only times I have seen it are maybe for Regionals/Nationals, if it's a smaller team that has only 1 or 2 girls qualified, a coach might volunteer their coaching time to defray the cost of sending a coach for only one girl. But even then, the coaches travel costs would still be covered.

spot on.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back