Tiny gymnast with Stride Circle issues

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
My little dd (6) is having a hard time with her stride circle thanks to her tiny hands. She has slipped off the bar several times on the way around and just seems to struggle with the hand rotation around the bar! Her coaches say her technique is good it's just her size. Are there any "cheats" to help little ones make/minimize deductions! She actually has the rest of her bar routine quite nicely and it would be a shame to have to take the spotting deduction on the silliest skill in the routine! It wouldn't surprise me if she will get her kip before her stride circle!

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated!

in this instance, you take the deduction. the skill can be dangerous even though it looks to the untrained eye to be relatively simple.

if you don't know yet, the children become different kids when they're put on a competitive floor. they have a lot to think about. they get nervous and such. this is when they make erratic and unpredictable mistakes that the coaches haven't even seen. coaches know about this and they won't think it's "a shame" if she takes a deduction and she safely completes the competition.

safety first.:)

My DD is 6 and also struggles with this skill. She still hasn't gotten it consistently. We did a private with her bar coach to help her with it and it seemed to help a lot. She got it for the first time just still doesn't hit it every time. Hopefully both my DD and your's will get it soon! :)

Good luck to all of those level 4s struggling with this skill. If she needs a spot for a couple of meets it isn't the end of the world.

In the long run having to struggle a little for a skill early on can help develop the mental attitude needed for later when those skills get hard and no one gets them straight off. Hope that makes sense. Think about it as useful training for overcoming obstacles later on . lol.

I have a bunch of tiny Level 3 girls who are also doing this skill. The tiniest one can do it but usually loses form on the way up and bends her knee. It takes a while for the little ones to understand the shifting of the hands and timing of the skill. It just takes lots of repetition for them to understand it, she'll get it in time. As far as spotting goes, I'm always there to catch my girls if they fall for safety reasons, but I never touch them until after they have fallen. They might as well not do the skill if they are spotted through it because they lose .50 for the spot plus the entire value of the skill plus execution like bent arms and legs. So a hefty deduction.

This is my little 5 year old doing it at the end of the season. She was sick so this wasn't her best routine but you get the idea. Sarah L USAG Level 3 Bars 2011 - YouTube

Thanks for all of the words of encouragement and advice. She is doing much better with them. She has made a couple in the past couple practices, so she is getting it - she is definitely doing a better job of staying on the bar, but every once in a while she still slips off! For that reason she isn't allowed to work on them without the coach right there (thank goodness). Unfortunately, that means she isn't getting as many tries each practice, but she is determined!

Thanks again!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back