Parents TOPs Questions....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom1919

Proud Parent
Thought I would start a new thread to ask some questions to those of you that have been there done that... Our daughter made the TOPs group for 9 year olds...and we are first timers...
1) I have a room booked nearby- or as nearby as possible.... wanted to clarify that we would indeed need to make a room reservation for this first round. Actually, I have two rooms booked- one for our coach and one for our family....we are the only family from our gym traveling to TOPs....
Where did you all book. I booked at Fairfield Inn in Conroe Texas....(Heard it was the closest hotel)...

2) Gymnasts will be staying with us in our hotel room, not on the grounds for this first testing time is that correct?

3) When do you think schedules will be posted so that flight arrangements can be made?

4)Any other suggestions/tips???

We stayed at the Fairfield last year. The gymnast can stay at the ranch, but I thought a restful stay in a private room would be better for testing. I have no idea when the schedule will be posted, but I wouldn't panic. We waited a week and got great airfares! Booking hotel is the most important!

Congrats to all the new TOPs national testing qualifiers! We stayed at The Fairfield Inn in Conroe last year and it took us about 40 minutes to get to the ranch. It is a very clean hotel, very nice rooms and a decent breakfast. You may even want to opt for booking a suite as they are not that much more and it is really nice to have a refrigerator and micro, not to mention the extra living room! There is a Kroger just down the road and lots of restaurants close by. I would definitely recommend staying in a hotel for testing, rather than the ranch, to eliminate any extra anxiety for the gymnast. While the gymnasts are testing there is a parent meeting at the ranch. Last year it was led by Kim Riley and Valeri Liukin and they provided some insight into the "elite" world of gymnastics. The ranch is truly an experience in itself! I would encourage you to walk around the grounds during the testing as it is a rare opportunity and there is lots to see (camels, horses, donkeys, peacocks, cabins, lakes, etc). In the gym they were selling TOPs apparel before and after testing but be prepared to purchase it early as it sells fast. Your coach should receive a score sheet at the end of testing, but of course you will still not know the official results until USAG announces the cutoffs for camp. If anyone has any specific questions, feel free to pm me. Good luck to all!

Ive BTDT, sort of. DD made TOPS but I never went to the ranch with DD, she travelled with her coaches. Our coaches travel with the kids for TOPs testing, TOPS camp or travel meets (they do team travel most of the time). We did do some travel meets with DD but never went to Texas with her. I think it would have been cool to visit the ranch but I would have been a distraction for my DD...her coaches are much better at getting her "in the zone" than I was. Anyway, not sure I answered any questions but MANY CONGRATS for the testing- these girls will truly enjoy being where few will ever go...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back