Parents Training Hours

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Gym_momma

Proud Parent
My daughter will turn 9 later this year. I'm curious how many hours other gymnasts of a similar age are training? As a parent, I am trying to balance her love of gym and desire to progress/compete with overtraining/injuries.

Ours varied by level, not so much age.
USAG DP L2=7hrs, L3=10hrs, L4=12hrs, L5=15hrs, L6-7=18hrs, L8-10=20hrs
USAG Xcel practices fewer hours, but I don't know their schedules.

@datamom’s post is pretty similar to the hours my dd gym does.

I don’t think age necessarily indicates the best hours for your child. I see older kids struggle with more hours and younger kids thrive.

My daughter is 8 and just completed level 6, she is at 18 hours a week and begs to go more.

When I was 9 I was a level 3 and I trained 8 hours but it’s def notice about level not age. Level 4/5 practices 12 hours and 6-10 practice 18

I go to a YMCA:

Level 1 (doesn't compete) - 2 hours
Level 2 (doesn't compete/competition) - 3 hours/6 hours
xcel silver (doesn't compete) - 3 hours
Level 3-4 and xcel gold-diamond (competes) - 9 hours
Optionals (6-9/10) (competes) - 12 hours

(If you are an optional and want to compete USAG, you practice 3 extra hours a week)

Thanks for the responses. Looks like our gym is on the high end of these ranges. My daughter is very keen so we are going to give it a go and keep an eye open for overuse/burnout.

My 8-year-old trains 16-hours per week. It’s a lot of hours. It’s really the absolute maximum he can do. But I know a 9-year-old TOPs girl who trains 26 hours! In general, I think 8-12 hours is about right for kids who are 8 to 10-years-old.

We really don't go by age either...

Xcel Bronze = 5 hours
Xcel Silver = 8 hours
L4 = 12 hours
L6/7 = 16 hours
L8/9/10 = 20 hours

We have the ability to run extremely talented athletes at higher hours when needed... however... we have no one that needs it or wants it right now. My daughter ran up 27.5 hours/week. 7.5 hours of this was private lessons with me... so there was no need to do more than that.

If I could get everyone (parents) to buy in better... I would do this with our program...

Xcel Bronze = 8 hours
Xcel Silver = 12 hours
L4 = 16 hours
L6/7 = 20 hours
L8/9/10 = 20 hours

More time on trampoline... dance... and bars early on is very beneficial. Not so much on the tumbling and impact side of things.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back