WAG Triceps Strain. I think. Prognosis?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kimute

Proud Parent
DD (9YO) just got home from gym. She was doing a BHS on floor and felt a sudden pain in her triceps; she said it felt like a pop. No bruusing or swelling and she wasn't in horrible pain. It sounds like a triceps strain to me; maybe, hopefully a mild one? We are doing RICE and will see a Dr. tomorrow to confirm my hack diagnosis.

We aren't in a competition season now at least, but did just got our TOPs testing dates today. A few months away, but she could use that time :( I know every strain is different, but any idea of time back to gym for this kind of thing? anyone have something similar?

I am not sure if it is allowed to give medical advice here, I bet it is not desired...however, my brother and I used to have a lot of strains so I will tell you what helped us.

What we did was icing it the first 48 hours every few hours, then after two days switched to mild heat. Then I massaged the muscle to help the muscle fibres relax and then MILD stretching, to help the fibres growing together again correctly.
It never took longer than a month or so, but you need to be careful to not start doing things to early or it will just get worse!

Also, if it it torn there would probably be a lot of bruising and swelling as you said.

Good Luck!!!

Thinking back to my hamstring strain, the best thing I could recommend is resting. Don't let your DD do anything that could possibly hurt her tricep more! I ended up taking a lot longer to recover and needing physical therapy because I was to stubborn to take the time to rest. As far as getting skills back, I personally got most of them back pretty quickly but this varies of course person to person. I was out for about 2 months. Good luck to your daughter and I hope she has a speedy recovery!

Sorry to all who took the time to respond and I hope this thread proves useful to someone. Although, given the responses, perhaps I hope it doesn't prove useful. Turns out my DD has a rotator cuff injury/impingement causing radiating nerve pain in her triceps. The good thing is the prognosis is better! She should be back in the gym in a week or two. Thanks again all for your responses!

Sorry to all who took the time to respond and I hope this thread proves useful to someone. Although, given the responses, perhaps I hope it doesn't prove useful. Turns out my DD has a rotator cuff injury/impingement causing radiating nerve pain in her triceps. The good thing is the prognosis is better! She should be back in the gym in a week or two. Thanks again all for your responses!

Good to hear?
May I asked you how this got examined? X-Ray? MR?

Good Luck to your DD!!!

I'm glad to hear your daughter will be back in the gym soon!

Thank you all! Haileygymnast it was a great PT who made the diagnosis. No scan but she seems right on. I hope!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back