Tsuk Vault Help Needed!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmom14

Proud Parent
My dd is struggling with her tsuk. She is frustrated and she thinks her coach is frustrated with her. (which makes her more frustrated, she is a people pleaser) Her problem seems to be that she is tucking too soon. She bends her legs to tuck while she is still on the table. Being the uninformed mom, I said just don't start your tuck until later. She was not too happy with me. She said she tries and just can't seem to make the correction. She said she can't figure out how to wait to flip. Any advise or suggestions?

I do have a video of her doing her tsuk at her last meet. I am not sure this shows the problem, but here is the video. YouTube - Emma's First Level 8 Meet- Vault

Mind you I have never fully competed this vault, i have done timers during up training but from watching videos i think that the best way to fix this

This video does show the problem, and what i think might help her is go back to timers like this for a few vaults to make sure her legs are straight in the timer

YouTube - tsukahara vault timer to feet

If you look at this vault (the second in the video (she got 1st place so she had to be doing something right)

YouTube - Alex Jenson Tsuk Vault

She pops off the vault before she begins to tuck

What might help is thinking during the vault pop wait tuck or something along that line

Last edited:
okay...

1. get the hand mat outta there. geesh...

2. she needs to move up her run. maybe a foot? it needs to be experimented with.

3. the board needs to move closer to the table. front on 1/back on 5.

4. she needs some kind of arm hurdle. she has none. taking off with the arms static and over the head when you punch the board results in dead/high pre-flight angle. 2 ways...open the arms out to the side on the assemble part of the hurdle or the most commonly used technique which is the tried and proven 'under arm swing'.

it is a combination of these 4 things in concert that are causing the vault to 'run out of gas' before she can even get to the table to do what she needs to do. the pre-tuck is a result of her lack of, then reduction of linear speed/force. you can see it best when she leaves the board. her legs separate and begin to tuck right as her feet leave the board.

and i watched the videos posted above. the vault is deficient. do not use that one as your model.
the drill up on to the high mat is a good one. it will help you if you do it with the changes i have suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
okay...

1. get the hand mat outta there. geesh...

2. she needs to move up her run. maybe a foot? it needs to be experimented with.

3. the board needs to move closer to the table. front on 1/back on 5.

4. she needs some kind of arm hurdle. she has none. taking off with the arms static and over the head when you punch the board results in dead/high pre-flight angle. 2 ways...open the arms out to the side on the assemble part of the hurdle or the most commonly used technique which is the tried and proven 'under arm swing'.

it is a combination of these 4 things in concert that are causing the vault to 'run out of gas' before she can even get to the table to do what she needs to do. the pre-tuck is a result of her lack of, then reduction of linear speed/force. you can see it best when she leaves the board. her legs separate and begin to tuck right as her feet leave the board.

and i watched the videos posted above. the vault is deficient. do not use that one as your model.
the drill up on to the high mat is a good one. it will help you if you do it with the changes i have suggested.

Thank you Dunno~! I just wanted to tell you how lucky the gymnasts you coach are to have you. My dd would love you. She is a very analytical thinker and when she read your comments, had an a-ha moment. I will let you know how she makes out. Thanks for the advise. It is greatly appreciated.

sorry for the dodgy video, i saw it came first and thought she has to be doing something right

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back