Tumbling Class ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mapstangelo

I am considering enrolling my daughter Katie (who will be 7 in June) in a tumbling class at her gym.

She just got her back bend kickover this past Sunday (she's so excited) so I think she's ready.

I asked what classes were available at our gym they have a beginner and advanced. I am thinking she would be a beginner.

The other kids in the class range in age from 8-12 - Is she too young for a tumbling class?

Looking for some coach feedback when it comes to tumbling and age differences.

Thanks in advance!!

7 isn't too young for a tumbling class if you can find one with kids around her age. Depending on the kid, the youngest one in the group either shies away from everything and gets very little out of the class when they are with bigger kids or they try to be the center of attention and take a large portion of the coaches time. Some do just fine either way. Keeping them with peers is usually more fun for the kid.

As a coach, gymnasts tend to be more successful with kids their own age. There are exception of course, but these exceptions are less common than parents think. :)

If you can find a tumbling class for her age, that would be ideal. If her maturity level is unusually high, I'd try the older class, although often tumbling classes are full of aspiring middle school cheerleaders and she may or may not fit in socially. Alternatively, you could put her in a gymnastics class for a year or two. She'd be with kids her age and learn basic tumbling, along with the other apparatus. Learning to run for vault, balance on beam, and hold her weight on bars will help her, even if she decides to focus only on tumbling in the future.

More than likely she will be fit into the beginner class. In a scenario where there is only a beginner and advanced class, the typical split is who has back handsprings or a connected RO>BHS or BHS.BHS.

she's beening taking class at her gym since she was 18 months old (mom and child class) they were okay with her joining the beginner class the youngest in the class is 8 which is only a year older than her and I found out her absolute favorite coach is teaching it. She can't wait class starts 3/26

Good luck to her! Having a coach she loves can make a huge difference. Let us know how it goes.

If she has been in gym that long, in theory she should be well-behaved and use to the structure so it shouldn't be much of a problem if she is young.

I could easily have a 5yo working out with 10yo with some other 10yo still playing catch up if the 5yo had the right mindset.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back