Twisting on Layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is training level 9. She is 11 years old. She was a strong level 8 gymnast but her season was cut short by a broken fibula. After returning to full workouts she began learning 1 1/2 twists and doubles. All was going pretty well up until a month ago...but now she can't do a layout. She tries and ends up doing a 1 1/2. She feels "out of control" and it has spread to all events. She won't dismount beam for fear she will twist. She won't do her Yurochenko for fear she will twist. And today she wouldn't do her flyaway on bars. She left the gym crying today feeling like she "can't do anything" and is talking about quitting. Any suggestions...

vestibular. tell her to be patient. it will all come back together.

It might help if the coach tries spotting the simpler skills. She is having difficulty orienting her body and additional proprioception can help that (I have seen it help in cases like this). I realize it is difficult to suggest things to a coach like that. To be honest, it's the summer, so I'd conveniently plan a few days off if she's leaving that frustrated to talk about quitting and crying. Make sure to let her know you are supportive and okay with this and don't have any expectations, aren't mad, etc (although this might seem to go without saying, at 11-13 the kids often irrationally feel this way even if no one has given them any indication that they should). Mention it doesn't matter if she is ready for the meets now, or whatever, there is always more time and no reasons to worry about that now.

Then after a cool down period if the coaches are supportive, maybe consider a private lesson or two where she can be spotted on simpler things and do some drills, if you think that would help her (for some kids it might be more pressure, others would welcome it).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back