twisting problems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter is a level 7 and has been working on her back full twist. She is getting it around between 3/4 and 7/8 but then falls down. Does anyone have any tips that would help her know what to do to pull it the rest of the way around and land standing up? :confused:

Sounds like she is trying to rush and doesn't know what a full twist really feels like. She just needs to keep practicing, and if the gym has an overhead rig it might be worth a shot to fully turn a few.

If her body understands how to initiate, then its not a technique issue (most likely).

She is stopping early because its been keeping her safe so far - why ruin a good thing, right? She needs to know she will be safe by holding on just a smidge longer, and that comes with experience.

At least, that's my interpretation..

Good luck!

Ryan

My gymmie had a problem with her full just going away last summer. Would end up doing like the 7/8 twist. Coach had her go back to doing 1/2s and lots of them. They told her it was easier to see if she was doing anything technically wrong and to just relax and "feel" the twist. One day the floor coach watched her 1/2s and said they were big, so now start trying the full again. She did and there it was. They never really figured out what she was doing wrong in the 1st place.

Don't know if that helps at all, but sometimes taking a step back for a week or so can help.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back