WAG upstart/kips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Reaction score
okay so today at practice i spent quite a lot of time on upstarts (kips) and i don't feel like i'm getting anywhere/ i have the first two parts of the upstart but i'm struggling with the last one. i can glide and bring my legs to the bar perfectly fine but it's just being able to end it in front support. i just push away from the bar and i need it for my comp at the very start of november. i've still got loads of practices left but i want to get it so i can perfect it. unfortunately i don't have a video so i can't show how it looks but could anyone help with this? i'm only struggling with bringing my body back to front support after the leg lift part

Here is a classic for you...

Its hard to see what you need to fix without video, but things most people struggle with are:

1. shooting their toes toward the ground when they push down, instead of shooting them up towards the ceiling and then pushing down on the bar

2. not shifting your wrists (at all or at the right time). I shift my wrists between when I start pushing down on the bar and when I am in a hollow hold shape

Its hard to see what you need to fix without video, but things most people struggle with are:

1. shooting their toes toward the ground when they push down, instead of shooting them up towards the ceiling and then pushing down on the bar

2. not shifting your wrists (at all or at the right time). I shift my wrists between when I start pushing down on the bar and when I am in a hollow hold shape
what do you mean by pushing down on the bar? i can do the whole skill with little-medium support from my coach but it's doing it myself where im unable to do get up to front support which makes it kinda hard to tell where im going wrong

what do you mean by pushing down on the bar? i can do the whole skill with little-medium support from my coach but it's doing it myself where im unable to do get up to front support which makes it kinda hard to tell where im going wrong
You have to push down on the bar to get on top of the bar. (It’s hard for me to put into words)

If you can do it with a spot from a coach, record yourself doing with your coach, and one without your coach, so you can see the difference in what you are doing between both videos.

i can do the whole skill with little-medium support from my coach but it's doing it myself where im unable to do get up to front support which makes it kinda hard to tell where im going wrong
This statement makes me think it's a timing problem that may only get better with time and practice.

You have to push down on the bar to get on top of the bar. (It’s hard for me to put into words)

If you can do it with a spot from a coach, record yourself doing with your coach, and one without your coach, so you can see the difference in what you are doing between both videos.
ohhh okay i see what you mean now. your video idea is also a good way to see so i'll try that when i next go back to practice. thank you

it may be. i hope it does get better though because i'd really like to be able to compete it
I also had a lot of issues with timing and wrist shifting when I was first learning my kip, and then when I was transitioning it up to high bar the issues came back. I had a coach who would legit watch me and yell NOW when I needed to shift. Eventually, I got the hang of the timing. It took a lot of repetition. My first competition the coach that was standing in between the bars (it was required for the jump after the squat on for safety) had to say NOW because whenever I got nervous I would forget the timing. But yea I'd see if your coach can help you with timing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back