vault handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mado4

Coach
Proud Parent
Hi there,

I took a video of one of my girls doing vault. She is flying way too high in the table, puts her hands way too early on the table. Her last step is nice and long, her feet are in front of her, but I still don't get way she has such a high jump. The run ist fast too.
Sometimes she has a lack of arm swing. I tried putting the board further away but then she put her hands down even earlier. I wish I could show you the video but it is HD quality and doesn't fit on here... any idea ?:confused:

Yes...upload the video to Youtube and give us the link.

yes, it is. improve the armswing/underswing and you won't have that slight pike in your hips. but your vault is not that bad.:) interesting to see you running on a wood floor with no vault runway for either you or the board. the board is very lively as you can see in the video. your board placement looks good for your body length. so, work on the underswing. and try to keep your head neutral. you will notice that your head is okay until your hands hit the table and then you duck your chin. don't do this. it messes up your alignment which messes up the block angle. carry on.:)

i came back to ask...where is this that you're practicing gymnastics? are you in the USA??

1. Run is too slow
2. Board is too far from the table
3. Arms should be down on the board
4. Table is too low.

1. Run is too slow
2. Board is too far from the table
3. Arms should be down on the board
4. Table is too low.

1. because she is running barefoot on a gymnasium wood floor. there is no runway.

2. look at the video again. there is no distance to the wall. if she moves the board closer she'll be closer to the wall on the landing. she should keep it right where it's at. you can see a coach there at the end of the mat and he's holding the mat with his feet. kinda yikes...not much room to work.

3. this would mean underswing.

4. the table is at 125. this is why i asked if she is in the USA. everywhere else works at FIG. FIG=125.

not arguing CoachTodd. just clarifying the video.:)

Thanks all for your reply.

First, it's not me jumping :), it's one of my girls.

1. she usually runs faster but the problem is still there
2. board too far ??? The board is REALLY close, we measure from table foot to the board 50 cm. My other girls have like 70 upto 85 cm. And YES we don't have much space
3. The arm swing, definately a problem. Former coach NEVER thought of it.
4. Hight, the table is at 120 . We are in Germany here and we have clubs which compete against each other. It is more like high school gymnastics here with different leagues. You can choose the hight you want, between 115 upto 125.
Should I go up ?

Thanks for all your help here. I will definately work on her arm swing and neutral head position.

Thanks all for your reply.

First, it's not me jumping :), it's one of my girls.

1. she usually runs faster but the problem is still there
2. board too far ??? The board is REALLY close, we measure from table foot to the board 50 cm. My other girls have like 70 upto 85 cm. And YES we don't have much space
3. The arm swing, definately a problem. Former coach NEVER thought of it.
4. Hight, the table is at 120 . We are in Germany here and we have clubs which compete against each other. It is more like high school gymnastics here with different leagues. You can choose the hight you want, between 115 upto 125.
Should I go up ?

Thanks for all your help here. I will definately work on her arm swing and neutral head position.

i don't think you should change a thing. just work on the underarm/hurdle swing and head position.:)

I would focus on the run speed/power and the underarm lift. Very nice vault!

THANKS,

will work on head and arm swing.

ANother girl in my team has a REALLY good vault (handspring). I would like to go further now. Wath vault do you teach next ? Half on half off or Yama****a or Tsukahara ? She can already do a round off over the table.

Great support here by the way :)

oh my gosh...i'll have to think about a few things. do you guys know how to spot? do you have pits that we can't see on the video??

:)
Yes, I do know how to spot. All my girls have a good vault, one has a really good one except the one I posted. :)

No, we do not have a pit but here in Germany we are used to train without a pit. We are inventive :). Just the girls who train for Germany have centrums with pits. That is how it works here.

We put mats behind the vault and let them do flatbacks half turns, the one even tried a Tsukahara. But I don't know whats the right progress to go from Handspring... I am more the expert on bars, floor and ezpecially beam :)

Thanks for your thoughts :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back