Vault help !!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am a level 4 and for my vault I have to do a handstand flat back . And when I do it they always say I pike when I do my handstand . And we have to do a arm circle and I know how to do it but I don't know when I'm suppose to do it. Do i do it before I jump on the spring board or when I jump on the spring board ???? Any suggestions ??

Your arms should be swinging as your feet hit and leave the springboard. As for piking down, again, just like your issue with the handstand forward rolls, piking usually occurs because you are anticipating your landing. You are so eager to land that you jerk your legs down toward the mat as opposed to allowing gravity pull them down. Work on handstands on the vault to your flat back. There is a lot less going on then if you add in the springboard, so you can focus on where your legs are.

Level 4 vault basics:
1. The run. Your last 3 steps need to be your best. These 3 control the power you get onto the board
2. The hurdle. Your hurdle should be low and fast. This is where you would start your arm circle.
3. Punch the spring board. You should be trying to push the spring board forward with your feet so the rebound gives you a strong heel drive. This is what gets you do the handstand without piking. You should be in the process of bringing your arms to your ears. Your feet should be in front of your hips and you shoulders should be above your hips.
4. The flight phase. Don't think about the mat once you've hit the board. While leaving the board, bring your arms to your ears and squeeze your entire body straight. If you hit the board correctly, you will flip to a handstand. If you are thinking about putting your hands on the mat, you will usually reach down or pike down.
5. Support phase. your hands should touch the mat with your body at an angle that will let you bounce to...
6. fall flat on your back and look at the ceiling.

Most beginners try to get their flip on vault to happen by dropping their chest down instead of bringing their feet up. Punch to layouts either flat on your back on a mat stack or into the pit are great drills for this.
Try to focus on what part of your body needs to be going up instead of the part that is going down.

4. The flight phase. Don't think about the mat once you've hit the board. While leaving the board, bring your arms to your ears and squeeze your entire body straight. If you hit the board correctly, you will flip to a handstand.

CoachTodd, I'm a bit confused about this, can you explain further? From this description, it sounds like you would just do a straight jump. What determines whether you flip to a handstand versus doing a straight jump?

CoachTodd, I'm a bit confused about this, can you explain further? From this description, it sounds like you would just do a straight jump. What determines whether you flip to a handstand versus doing a straight jump?
The key to unlocking your question is found in in his point #3.

Exactly what wordsmith said. If you hit the springboard with your feet in front after running forward, you will flip. You have to make a special effort not to flip. You can test the theory on a mini tramp into the pit.

So to do a straight jump, you would hit the board with feet right underneath you? Now I've gotta try this feet in front thing and see if it flips me. Thanks for the info, Coach Todd.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back