Vault setting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How do you determine what vault setting is right for you? The reason I ask is because my daughter currently vaults on one and it just looks like that setting is to low, also she is a good six - eight inches taller than the other girls vaulting on this setting. She is having troubles blocking and I can't help but wonder if this is why and/or if the springboard is too close for her (it doesn't appear to be moved from one girl to the next). I know that I am only a parent and not a coach, so this might not make sense as I do not know the "proper" gym lingo, but I would love to hear some suggestions and advice on this topic :D

Thanks!!

Setting the board and vault height is a factor of how tall they are and how powerful they are.

If your daughter is not only taller than them but as powerful or more so than the group generally, she will probably need the vault set higher and the board farther out.

It can be troublesome to change height within a group of gymnasts but adjusting the board shouldn't be too difficult.

If the table isn't set height enough it can mess her up ability to pop off the table into the postflight.

There a quite a few factors involved with determining table height. The gymnast's height does play a role but for me their height mainly determines board distance. Even then it only makes a difference of a few inches when I'm working with them.
In a nut shell, if the gymnast is doing everything mechanically correct on vault. (i.e. good board angle, good run speed, fast turnover from the board to the table...) the coach can usually tell if the table is too high or too low.
Example: If the vaulter is floating high during the preflight then piking down to the table or even straight body landing too high on the table, this doesn't necessarily mean the table is too low. It could mean the vaulter's turn over is too slow.

I would need a video to really be able to tell any more.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back