Vault Table Height???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi,

I am just wondering if it matters what height my daughter vaults on? The coaches adjust the table based on needs to achieve the best situation for the girls. I have heard that the higher the table the score will be higher? Is that true???? My daughter unfortunately had a growing spurt and seevers so she is now almost starting over - well with her number. That is now set so she is now trying to pop and land at least her body length from the table. Any info you can give me to tell her would be appreciated.

Just wanted to say I feel like my DD is starting from scratch too. Broke her heel begining of year and missed a whole lot of vault time. Now with L5 and the table, it presents new problems. DD is scared to hurt heel again, plus she also got DX w/ the Seaver's in April. Makes her running, hurdle and pop almost nothing now. Used to be her best scores, even medled at states and now it is the worst & most frustrating. I never heard about the table height/score before so I am curious too!

There is no deduction for the table height in USAG JO. All the deductions come from the vault itself. If you are using the FIG guidleines there are specific heights given.

What level is your DD? I think you are in the US?

There is no deduction for the table height in USAG JO. All the deductions come from the vault itself. If you are using the FIG guidleines there are specific heights given.

What level is your DD? I think you are in the US?
Hi,

Yes we are in the US. She is a level 7 now. Don't get me wrong her vault isn't horrible, it's just that she is just beginning to get it again. She is a very strong gymnast and has all her 7 skills. The seavers and now osgood schlatters is getting to her run - she can't totally run on the balls of her feet. She is fast, but for a long time before they got her number corrected she was taking off from the wrong foot.

Thanks!

There is not score benifit to a higher or lower vault table. The table should be set to a height that isn't too tall or short for the gymnast. The coaches will adjust the height to get the best performance of the skill to get the best score possible for your daughter.

Trust that the coaches know what the best setting or what ever will get the best performance and score from your child at a meet.

The optimal table height is dependent on how high the gymnast is when she takes off from the springboard, which is dependent on both the strength of the gymnast's run and her height. So, generally, shorter girls and less powerful runners vault on lower settings than taller girls and more powerful runners.

If the table is too low, the girl may not be able to get enough height in her post-flight, resulting in bad body position. If it is too high, she will not be able to hit at the right angle to do a good handspring (or other vault).

How high the vault is, is bassed on your hight and also your power. I vault on 4 and I'm 4'10 or 4'11. You don't get scored higher if the vault table is higher.

If the vault is higher, you have (ever so slightly) more time for distance and landing in the post flight. However there is no point wacking the vault up to its highest if you can't contact in the right place/shape for a good post flight.
You should be pleased that you have a coach who is willing to adjust the equipment to suit individuals. There are many (lazy?) coaches, who will just pick a setting that everyone has to use regardless of ability/situation.

Thank you

Thank you to everyone who replied. My daughter is lucky to have coaches that adjust the table height to fit the needs of the girls. I always thought the height didn't matter, but some of the moms think it does, so I thought I'd post the question. My daughter is happy with her vault and the progression she's made and the owner of the gym thinks one day she'll be great at it once all the technical things are worked out as she is a great tumbler and is strong. She is a very determined person in all things she does, so I'm positive it will all turn out for her. I'm just glad she is happy and enjoying doing what she loves!:)

I do not think it matters what height you vault on. I am 5' and I still vault on 1050 becase that's where my vault is better. I think that the height of the vault is for the coach and the gymnast to decide. All though, if your daughter is not feeling comfortable on a certain height, I would talk to the coach about it. Good Luck! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back