Parents We lost the best coach ever. How do I help my daughter through this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry for your loss...only time can help.

I am so sorry. Just make sure she knows you are always there to listen whenever she needs to talk and that's it's okay to be very sad.

I'm so sorry, that is truly awful! I like the suggestion of counselors being brought in. The most important thing that you can do is to let your child know that you are open and there....you don't judge or tell her how she should feel and when.....just there to listen and help her through the process. It will be a long process with a wide range of emotions and feelings. Just hold her and let her know that you're there for her

I am so sorry for your family and the coach's family loss. That is SO hard. Just be there to listen.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. I know what you're going through. Two years ago (almost to the day), one of the coaches from our gym was also killed in a horrible tragedy. We didn't get to go to the funeral because it was a few hours away from here, but the whole gym really came together as a family during that time. The whole gym closed down for a week, allowing people time to grieve and to attend the funeral if they wished. When they did open again, the first few days it was only opened for the team girls. The first day back, it wasn't structured at all. They just had a kind of open gym concept. They just wanted to get them back in the gym and doing what they love, but being very relaxed about it. They also brought counselors in to talk to anyone who wanted to. There were many, many tears shed that first day back, but it was therapeutic. It will be a process getting past it, and he will never be forgotten. They will just learn to not have him there anymore. We still have a picture of the coach we lost hanging in the gym, and I'm sure it will always be there.

What a horrible tragedy for you and your daughter to deal with! I am so sorry for your loss and hope that you can both find the comfort you need during this difficult time.

My daugther's coach died in a car accident on Thursday. We just found out last night. My dauther is devastated. She was up most of the night crying and saying she doesn't know what to do with her life. She loves him - we love him!! I don't have to tell this group how strong/important that relationship is. I don't know how to help my daughter through this. I'm not sure what is going to happen with the gym. I'm just so sad.

Peder was one of my closest dear friends. 1 of the few i could actually go out to dinner with. my wife and i will miss him dearly. Tania will continue on. you get her thru this by letting her know that Peder would be very disappointed to learn that she gave up. true gymnastics people carry on. Peder didn't start a gym thinking this would happen. His gym will be his legacy to the gymnastics community. Tania will find a coach once she regroups and the gym will remain strong in Peder's memory.

Peder was one of my closest dear friends. 1 of the few i could actually go out to dinner with. my wife and i will miss him dearly. Tania will continue on. you get her thru this by letting her know that Peder would be very disappointed to learn that she gave up. true gymnastics people carry on. Peder didn't start a gym thinking this would happen. His gym will be his legacy to the gymnastics community. Tania will find a coach once she regroups and the gym will remain strong in Peder's memory.

Dunno, I'm so sorry for you loss. He was an amazing coach and person. We are going to miss him dearly!! We learned Monday evening that the gym was going to continue on - Thank God!! The team kids are back in the gym today for the first time. Tania came in today to be with the kids. What an amazing strong wonderful women she is. DD is doing better. She had some time with her teammates - so that helped. She does want to do it for Peter but isn't really certain that she can do it without him. It will take time but the team is strong and they can do it. I'm so grateful and relieved that the gym is staying open so the team can stay together. It will never be the same without Peter but they will try to make him proud.

A terrible loss brings sadness and from that can come strength through family and friends; stay strong. Remind the girls that they have a new guardian angel watching over them. And that this angel will be watching every move they make. They need to take strength from the fact that he prepared them to take on life's challenges; they will come together and compete the season for him.

I am sorry for your loss as well Dunno. It shows what a really small world the gymnastics world is.

So sorry for your loss. May your gymnastics family gain strength from each other to get through.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Peter was a dear friend of our head coach. He has visited us in the past to work with our girls and was scheduled to come again in the next few months. My daughter made her first kip while working with Peter. All our girls loved working with him when he came. Our condolences to everyone who is mourning his loss and my heart goes out to his family and gym community. I can't even imagine.

Peter was one of my favorite coaches to rotate with at meets. Lots of laughs and fun no matter what. It is hard to imagine not seeing him at meets this season. My heart goes out to his family and his gymnasts and their families.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back