Parents Well, How did Everyone's Kids do At States?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
Dd had tons of fun this weekend at States. She didn't have the best meet and didn't place in anything, but that's ok. She totally botched beam but had a good attitude about it and came back to compete the other events well. For those that remember last state meet where she was a disaster after not placing this was a huge relief. She has matured so much over the last year! I am very proud of her.

So how did everyone else do this weekend?

My daughter had a decent state meet. It was not her best performance by far, but she took 1st AA. (out of 3, youngest group of L8). So she will be going to regionals. Never been before, anything I should know?!
It's kind of bittersweet because we have a team of 4 and 3 qualified. The one that didn't qualify should have, she just had an off meet :(

My daughter had a great meet. (L8) She took 1st place AA and made the State team for regionals.

I am just so proud of her for how she has handled the last month with the sudden gym change, and having to compete in the same session with the old gym after everything they have put her through.

It made me so happy to see her out there having fun :)

Dd had tons of fun this weekend at States. She didn't have the best meet and didn't place in anything, but that's ok. She totally botched beam but had a good attitude about it and came back to compete the other events well. For those that remember last state meet where she was a disaster after not placing this was a huge relief. She has matured so much over the last year! I am very proud of her.

So how did everyone else do this weekend?
So glad she had fun and had a good attitude! Especially nice that she was able to recover after a bad beam. Love your attitude too!

It was a good meet. 3rd AA
Only one on her team to qualify for regionals.
They have had a tough year as a team.
Congrats to her!!! Bummer she'll be the only one of her team at Regionals though--that will be a tad lonely for her.

My daughter had a decent state meet. It was not her best performance by far, but she took 1st AA. (out of 3, youngest group of L8). So she will be going to regionals. Never been before, anything I should know?!
It's kind of bittersweet because we have a team of 4 and 3 qualified. The one that didn't qualify should have, she just had an off meet :(

Congrats to your dd!! I feel so bad for her teammate--that happens sometimes and it's no fun when it does. Regionals is fun--for level 8 it should be a bit more relaxed as they don't need to worry about placing to move on from there. She should have a good time!

My daughter had a great meet. (L8) She took 1st place AA and made the State team for regionals.

I am just so proud of her for how she has handled the last month with the sudden gym change, and having to compete in the same session with the old gym after everything they have put her through.

It made me so happy to see her out there having fun :)

Congrats to her!!

Congrats to your DD!!! It is so hard when one teammate doesn't make it. I am sorry for her :(

It was a good meet. 3rd AA
Only one on her team to qualify for regionals.
They have had a tough year as a team.

Congrats to your DD!!! My DD was all by herself for Level 7 Regionals and she ended up making some great new friends :)

First of all, it sounds like lots of great successes and big congrats to the girls going to regionals!

I thought DD had a great state meet (L7)... Unfortunately the judges didn't agree....

The week before the meet the coach had them all write out goals for the meet. Thankfully DD had very specific skill based goals for each event and did not set score or placement goals. So, she was able to feel good about her meet, even though the scores were not what she had hoped for. If she had set goals related to scores or placements she would have been devastated.

So here's the details, since no one outside the gym world will understand, and I have to share it with someone!
First up, bars- competes her clear hip to handstand beautifully- which was her goal. (She has played it safe all season and not hit handstand since she doesn't need it to go HS in L7.) Nails the routine (so we think). DD is thrilled that she stuck everything. Start value appears...only a 9.5 and a 9.2 from one judge. We think they didn't count her cast as high enough. DD was momentarily devastated. No score as the scoreboards aren't working. Found out the day after the meet she got a 8.3. Her lowest bar score of the season, usually averages around a 9. Probably good that she never knew the score during the meet.

On to Beam. Sticks her routine beautifully. Just about tackles her coach after her beam routine as she was so nervous about staying on the beam. Again a 9.5 start value. I thought her connection was fine, but apparently not. Scoreboards still not working. Found out next day she got a 8.7.

Floor- Beautiful routine. Stuck her front pass which she has struggled with this season- she usually ends up with a hop forward. Still no scores. Did not place on Floor at awards- which means bottom 1/2. Prior to state had never placed below the top 1/4 on floor.

Vault- Nice Vault. Actually placed 2nd!!! THis was huge as she started the season consistently at the bottom.
No places at awards on anything else.

At first it was really annoying that the scoreboards weren't working, but after a while, it was actually nice to just enjoy watching my dd stick her routines and do her stuff and not worry about the scores. DD actually decided that she would rather not see her scores in a meet from now on.
I was so proud of dd for getting over the disappointment of bars and going on to the other events and meeting her goals. Just to be able to stick all her routines given the fact that she missed 5+ months of full training this year I thought was huge! While she would have liked to have made regionals, she cannot wait to get in the gym and start up training. She missed all of the "fun" up training last year as she was out with an injury from April through July, and then injured again in the fall for 7 weeks. Her coach told her that if she can train all summer with no injuries, she should be a very strong competitor for L8 next year.

gymtigermom - it sounds like your dd did great! I felt like you - my dd did great, but the judges obviously disagreed LOL. I was just so glad she didn't cry while on the beam after the first or second fall that I was just proud of her and didn't care about the falls. She completely missed her feet on her back walkover and looked surprised when it happened. Afterward she said that when she went over it felt great and she was totally shocked that she missed the beam. Not sure how that happens, but it did. Hopefully your dd will remain injury free for awhile.

Level 4 for dd this weekend. She had her highest all around of the season. She does not focus on placement or scores, she just loves the sport. Thank goodness for that attitude. She knows that she improved and is so ready to work on her level 5 skills. She needs her kip and her front hand spring needs some polishing. At state, she placed last on vault and 2nd on bars, so she was all over the place. She was proud of herself and her coaches were proud of her. All in all a great way to end the season. Now hopefully on to level 5--we will know in about a month.

My son had a great states meet. Placed first in the all around for his age group. He is Level 4 though, so no regionals for him. Was named to the All State team though!

Allison had an awesome state meet but I have a judges vent, too. I'll save that until I get to it! Level 7

Floor, 9.025, not spectacular but not bad, solid.
Vault: 9.15, I was thrilled. She stuck her landing on the second vault, which is the first time I've seen her do that in competition. Super cool that she did it on her last ever front handspring vault. She placed 5th (out of 10) in a super competitive group.
Bars: 9.425!! Soooo happy! She has an awesome bar routine but fell 3 out of the 6 meets this season and the other two she was kind of tentative about so it was great to see her do it well. She placed 3rd.
Beam: OK, so here's my vent (since, again, no one else understands). We watched the team before us and all the girls had a BWO-BWO for their series and quite a few had a lot of balance checks and they were still scoring around 9.3s. So I was pretty excited, thinking that they were scoring high and that Allison would probably beat her previous high AA from back in L4 (All she needed was a 8.9 just to beat it but a 9.4 would have given her a 37 would have been awesome!!) So she does that best routine I've ever seen from her. She does BHS-BWO for her series and it was beautiful, no wobbles, etc, the whole routine looks clean, her coach hugs her and tells her she did awesome and then then the score came up: 8.85. Not a SINGLE girl on our team scored over a 9.0. We have pretty relaxed coaches and our HC was very upset when I saw her in the bathroom later. She felt like they were penalizing our team for doing the harder skills. Oh, well. She told me that they want to get the girls to L9 and L10 as quickly as possible so that they can be rewarded for doing harder skills. Anyway.... the other coach (her husband) is so great. He told Allison and a couple other girls that they were robbed but then he said, "Well, that's gymnastics. If you don't like it, go play golf." and they told the girls to disregard the scores and just be proud that they did their best. Love that attitude, I'm sure it won't be the first time that scoring seems unjust.

Anyway, she ended up tying her highest ever AA, with a 36.45, which was still cool. The last time she got that score was in L4, which is obviously a little easier. She placed 6th. Even 3rd place was something like a 37.65 so it was obviously pretty competitive and we were very happy. The team didn't place but we got our highest even team score which is definitely something to be proud of!

Congrats to everyone else! I'm kind of glad that we have one last year without worrying about Regionals... good luck to you that are going!

My six-year-old Level 3 had a great meet!

Beam- 9.250 4th Place - she had a big bobble, but fought and stayed up!

Bars- 9.575 2nd Place- her best ever with a huge front mill circle with straight legs!

Floor- 9.700 1st Place- beautiful routine!

Vault- 9.775 1st Place- the first gymnastics goal she set was to win the state championship on vault; she had the session high score!

AA- 38.300 1st Place- her AA score would have been first for the next three age divisions above her. She beat personal bests for everything except for beam and met every goal she set for this meet, including having the most fun ever at one of her meets. She had the meet of her life in the biggest meet of her short gym career. Couldn't be prouder!

Congrats to all the girls who competed this weekend! They all accomplished something regardless of whether they made the podium or not! Hope everyone had fun!

My DD is competing this Sunday, but we spent the weekend watching some awesome gymnastics at the Level 9/10 meet. It was exciting to see her Teammates make their personal goals and some did end up with state titles. Seniors and their parents were recognized, it was a proud moment for the entire State to see the results of many years of hard work and dedication from these families! That is something that the younger girls can really look up to!

DS had a decent state meet. He placed 4th in the AA, 4th on floor, 2nd on pommel, 6th on rings, 8th on vault, 9th on pbars, and 10th on high bar. I think this was only the 2nd time he placed on everything! His team came in 2nd.....again ;)

As to the judging...it is so hard. I know we see/feel the bias at almost every meet, and almost everyone talks about it. But, the kids, they don't seem to care. DS just takes it as he has to work that much harder now. And our coach put it best when he said the judges are hard on us....we should take it as a compliment. When I thought about that, it really made sense to me ;)

(as a side note, I have the idea for a judges exchange program where judges from different states swap and go do states/regionals with kids they don't know and have never seen....sounds like fun to me ;))

Good luck to those who still have states! We are preparing for regionals!

Level 4 for dd this weekend. She had her highest all around of the season. She does not focus on placement or scores, she just loves the sport. Thank goodness for that attitude. She knows that she improved and is so ready to work on her level 5 skills. She needs her kip and her front hand spring needs some polishing. At state, she placed last on vault and 2nd on bars, so she was all over the place. She was proud of herself and her coaches were proud of her. All in all a great way to end the season. Now hopefully on to level 5--we will know in about a month.

Congrats to your dd! Love her attitude :). She clearly picks that up from mom!

mom2brats--I hate it when judging appears so biased like that! Congrats to your daughter on a great routine anyway. Sounds like she'll be off to level 8 next year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back