WAG What percent of Level 4's stay with the sport until graduation?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not even to high school with most yet but in my dd group started with 22 level 4s and now my dd and 2 other girls are left and just got through level 8 at middle school age. My dd being the oldest. She has college aspirations but time will tell all.

My dd was L4 at age 7, she stopped at age 13 due to stress fractures. Not one of her team mates was still competing at 17, one made it to 16, she was about L6/7. The original group was 10 strong,

Very few make it from L4 to optionals, let alone L4 to L10.

Dd was one of those girls who wasn't very successful at the lower levels. She was in a group of 16. She was the youngest. Today, I count 4 girls remaining. Dd was a lev 4 at age 6, she is now moving to level 10 age 13.

My DD competed L4 at age 8. There were 5 other L4's on her team. 3 have since quit and 2 moved to other gyms. There were 2 10yr old L6's then and both have since quit. One girl is now in HS and is a successful diver. My DD was a 2nd L 8 this past season and is the only one left from her original compulsory years. Most of her current optional training group (L7-10) came from other gyms and there is 1 girl who was a L8 when DD was L4.

It is interesting to see how things change. As a L4 my DD wanted to be in the gym all the time. Never wanted to miss a practice, wanted more training hours, went to open gym all the time. Now as a 14 yr old, she still absolutely loves the sport- but truly values her time away from the gym!!

DD1 was one of 4 level 4's, the girls were 6,7,8,11. The 11 quit that year. The 6 y.o. quit before level 7, DD who was 7 quit at 14. The 8yr old left USAG (after 2 seasons training not competing) when she entered high school, competed till junior year.

DD2 was a 6 yr old in group of 14 level 4's, she was youngest, ages up to 12. By level 6, there were 3 left in USAG. At level 7, there were 2 but the other girl didn't compete. DD is the only one left at the ripe old age of 13, level 10. One of the older girls started back competing for her high school team, she's a sophomore now and doing great.

My DD is in 7th grade, so she has a few years until graduation, but 50% of her L4 group have already left the sport.

This is a very interesting thread, and when that person gets the grant to do the analysis, how about including how many of those who do stay with it through high school go on to do four years of college gym.

My dd's friend is 1 of 6 from her level 4 team (new 3) that stayed with it and is now a Div 1 gymnast. My dd is 1 of 6 from her level 4 team (new 3) that is still with it, but she is a junior, 3rd year level 10.

So, one of the advantages to having my two DDs' iPods tied in to my apple account is that I can see what they are posting to Instagram. My gymmie just posted a picture of her level 3 team. There are 7 of them. This would have been about 5 1/2 years ago. One of them quit shortly after that season to do swim team. One quit maybe 2 years later to do cheer. Two are still at DD's old YMCA gym, one an Xcel Platinum and the other an Xcel Gold. Three of them, including DD, switched from the Y to a new private gym. One quit earlier this year due to back problems (though interest was waning anyway), DD was a level 8 this year and the other girl was a level 7. So more than 50% still in the sport more than 5 years later is pretty good, though all of them at different places in the journey.

I and one girl on my old team are the only two still competing from when I was in level 4 (2007 I think). I'm graduating this year and she is next year. There was probably about 10 girls on our level 4 team. Interestingly, there was probably 40 girls on the team total when I was in level 4 and I'm not kidding you a year later maybe 20 of those 40 had quit.

I think my level 4 team had about 25-30 girls and that was around 2006 or 07. With a couple years till graduation, only 2 of the girls are still doing gym :( Most of them quit around the time when they reached the beginnings of optionals or high school.

Is this info available for 2013 yet? I'd be curious to see the numbers with the new levels. I looked but couldn't find it....

i will post it up shortly. someone asked for this the other day. couldn't find it. i called somebody. they said it will be published again soon. as soon as they do i will post it up. :)

Haven't posted anything in years, but found this thread interesting. 9 yrs ago, my DD started with a L4 (now L3) team of 42 girls. L5 23 girls, L6/PO 15 girls, L7 8 girls. L8 team has increased from an influx of new girls. But of the original 42 girls from her 1st year L4 only 4 (including my DD) remain at the gym. Yup, 10% seems to be true with her gym.

In the entire time (6 or so years) Alex has been doing gym only 3 girls were still in gym by the time they graduated. 2 at her old gym, 1 level 10 and 1 level 9. This year at her new gym 1 girl will graduate and she is a L7.

For a rough idea here is an example 2013 in PA Level 4 (now level 3) 514 girls competed at the state meet and 91 at level 10 (I am sure some were out injured). That's about 18% of girls.

At our gym we only have 1 or 2 level 1o's every year and 8-12 level 3. Only 3 girls out of the 9 girls my DD started competing with are still doing gymnastics. Mine is a L9, 2 of the girls are L8, and 1 went to excel.

Last edited:
From my dd's team, there is 1 girl that I thought was still doing gymnastics in the USAIGC program, but I do not see that she competed this year, so she may be done. If so that would just leave my dd. She will be graduating this year from HS and will be doing gymnastics in college as well. Originally, there were 8 of them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back