Parents What to do coach wants child at gym at 2 and school doesn't end till 2:37

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree with education first. By the end of the day the first real job they "land" (hehehe) wont be because they can do a giant on bars. It will most likely be because of there education. But I also don't agree with homeschooling. Something about being involved socially I think helps further them in life. You can't learn how to be carasmatic from a book IMO.

Also on the leaving early bit. I could see how school systems in particularly other parents would use this to there advantage...... Well so and so gets to leave early for gymnastics how come my child can't leave early for swim lessons...

You know everything has to be fair in life now...

I have even had old coworkers complain about the people who go outside to smoke. They get free breaks and I don't..... Whine whine whine.....

Ahh such is life can't please everyone and someone always plays the victim.

Education first.
I totally agree that education is #1.
but lets be realistic, all of us gym parents must juggle the crazy demands of gymnastics and progressing in gymnastics, especially when you have a relatively talented kid.

you can reach a happy medium with the school....you just have to explain it to the school without going overboard.....Know your rights as a parent too.
There are some schools that HATE to excuse kids on PE exemptions, but in some counties it is totally OK even if the school says no

I don't see this as the school not being cooperative. This is the coach not being cooperative. If this is NOT a homeschool group then it makes no logical sense to have practices starting at 2:00 as I have never heard of a school that gets out by 1:30 (assuming time is needed to get there). a 2:30ish end time to school is not crazy (our middle schools are like 4:30! Imagine what kind of problems that causes for any type of non school related after school activity!), I can understand why the school is not OK with redoing the entire class's schedule for one student. What grade is she in? I would say if middle school that it might be reasonable to ask to have PE the last period if possible and have her miss that; but much more than that is asking a bit much IMO.

I agree with the others. 2pm for a non-homeschool group is pretty presumptuous. My DDs have had practice as early as 3:15 and it was a hug pain in the butt. Schools here typically have one early day a week, and ours didn't line up with the district the gym mirrored. We switched my DD to a different practice group as soon as her skill leveled allowed. We were planning to homeschool this year already, but if we weren't my other DD would have missed nearly half of her practices. Her training starts at 3:30 and the local high school lets out at 4:15 (plus some of the worst traffic in the country). It would be nice if the people planning the training groups took the fact that these kids have school into account, but I guess they must have their reasons. I hope.

I agree with what everyone has said so far. I just wanted to add that our district was able to accommodate my dd doing one online class in order to facilitate early release. She only practiced early 3 days a week but left early all 5 days. We were told it was an "all or nothing" proposition, meaning that since her 6th hour class was online, she could not be in the building for 6th hour. Our district and State seems more flexible than some, based on what I've read. I tried the PE route, but found that class was absolutely mandatory and I could not get her exempt, hence the online social studies class. It was hard because she still had to do the class when she got home from practice, but was able to keep up since the curriculum was not too hard in Middle school. Now that she is in high school, we are opting out of that since it will be harder to fit in more studies outside of school.

Reactions: sce
DD left a gym whose start time was 2. Well when she did the 2 start time it wasn't mandatory until she became a level 9. DD was only an 8, and the 2 time worked for us because she is homeschooled. As I hear it now, it is mandatory now for all level 8s on up...they even have as low as level 5 gping at 12:30. I can tell you that at this gym school is not as important as gym. To original poster, be sure you are going with what your gut tells you is right.
I know of some kids whose parents listen blindly to gym and disregard their child's academics.
That being said my own child is homeschooled. I prefer it to the public education in our area. If I am going to pay for school it will be what I feel is appropriate for my child. Every year I reassess curriculum. I have total control.

I know a lot of children sport and non sport who do cyber school and love it but I just worry about the social aspect

Homeschooling in its various forms is not for everyone, but TBH my girls get plenty of the "social." Also, think of how much of school actually IS "social" vs. kids being told to stop talking and get back to work.

If your DD is on the elite path, homeschooling can make things easier. Not all elites homeschool, but many do, and it can make things more flexible for the whole family.

On the education aspect, kids can absolutely get an excellent education at home. There are many, many resources available nowadays, including tutors, online courses, videos, message boards, Facebook groups, etc. etc. It also gives older kids tremendous freedom to tailor their education individually.

In any event, we have a homeschooling group and there's a homeschooling thread, and you're welcome to contact me anytime if you just want to know more. I'm more than happy to help. It's just something to consider. :)

Based on some of the stories that have appeared on this board over the years, it appears that the motivation for at least some of the gyms that schedule their team practices during school is space constraints. They don't have room for all of the team groups and/or for team plus rec in the gym after school, so they push some of the team groups to school hours to maximize program capacity and revenues. If enough parents were unwilling to put up with this and pushed back or left these gyms, economic pressure would force the gyms to get more efficient with their schedules and/or to expand their facilities so they could schedule everything after school. It can be done--my daughter's gym currently handles a huge number of team and rec kids in a modestly sized facility without asking anyone to skip school, thanks to some very well constructed rotation schedules.

I have the same problem with Friday schedules for routine, local JO meets. Parents go along with it because they feel like they have no choice, and so the host clubs get away with having parents pull kids from school for Friday sessions. I am seriously contemplating forbidding my child to compete in any meet that requires me to pull her from school, but I'm afraid I will lose my resolve the first time she starts crying because mean mommy says she has to miss a meet. And that is how the consumers (parents) in the gymnastics market become something other than the rational actors that would make the market function efficiently so it eliminates gymnastics scheduling that conflicts with school.

Education first, gym second. I wouldn't attend any gym who didn't understand that.
DD has missed one day of school due to gymnastics, when they scheduled States on a Friday last year. I wouldn't even think of pulling hera from school for training.

I agree with education first. By the end of the day the first real job they "land" (hehehe) wont be because they can do a giant on bars. It will most likely be because of there education. But I also don't agree with homeschooling. Something about being involved socially I think helps further them in life. You can't learn how to be carasmatic from a book IMO.

But I bet you could learn how to spell charismatic from a book! If there is any time left over after learning all those valuable social skills.

Doing a giant won't land you your first job, but the determination you learned and the fear you overcame will go much further than the lunchroom gossip you might have missed.

What do other people in the practice do? I can't imagine their schools end earlier than 2:00? Are they all homeschooled or in private school? Just wondering, I mean on one hand I can kind of see the issue because it's not like we're talking about arriving at 2:15, it's gonna be 3:30 by the time you get there and by the time she's warmed up she's missed almost a whole event probably. I, just not sure what you can do about it, of course. But does everyone else just homeschool? If so, why wouldn't the practice just be in the mornings? 2:00 just seems like it doesn't work conveniently for anyone school or homeschool.

I can't believe the social piece is still talked about regarding homeschool. You don't have to hide your kids in the basement anymore in order to homeschool. Homeschoolers are out and about and interacting with all walks of life much more than kids in a classroom. Tell me how often in the future your kids will be in a room of 25 other people exactly their age being told exactly what to do? That is not real life.

As for what the OP should do - we have had to be late to practice for years now due to school ending late. We let the coaches now we would be late and what time to expect the girls. Reasonable coaches won't have a problem with this. If they are asking your child to devote more time and really up her commitment and attend an earlier more serious practice then you do really need to evaluate what you want to do long term - in gymnastics and in school.

^^ There are actually quite a few charter schools out here that are doing more "less traditional" school hours. Lots of kids at our gym that start training at 12:30 or 2:30 go to those schools. I guess there are a lot of kids out here who, for family reasons or for pursuing sports or arts need those more flexible hours.
There are also a lot of kids that do sports and get PE exemptions to miss that last hour of school. Other kids I know do a summer school class so that they can leave earlier during the regular school year. Or, some elect to do at least one subject as homeschooled or online school. Some kids can't or won't change their school times and just get to practice as soon as they can. The coaches work with ALL of these kids.
Actually, very few of the kids at our gym are homeschooled. Mine are, but for different reasons than gymnastics.

OP must be leaving something out. Usually Elite or Homeschool groups start at 1 or 2pm and finish at 5 or 6.
Then the lower levels like the L1,2,3s since they get out earlier and typically don't stay out late.........then the middle and high schoolers practice late.
In my area most of the gyms with elite paths start either homeschool at 9am or at 1pm....

So I think OP is leaving some details of how she got in the 2pm group to start with.....is there a later group your DD can get into? Especially at L8?

I KNOW I'm going to sacrifice PE if possible.....like I've said before, I don't need my kid to learn how to to sit-ups, or sit and reaches......but I drew the line at cup stacking!...... Sorry school, DD needs to rest up and do homework before her 4 hour practice.

Reactions: sce
I agree with education first. By the end of the day the first real job they "land" (hehehe) wont be because they can do a giant on bars. It will most likely be because of there education.

I disagree. I've been headhunted twice for big opportunities. Both times it's because I had my gymnastics on my cv. That's what stood out, and that's what they wanted to talk about at interview. Kids leaving DD's gym are getting jobs and uni places because of their gymnastics, over more qualified applicants, as they are showing they have a work life balance, are dedicated, work with others, travel experience, etc, etc, etc.

I was someone who was strongly discouraged from elite sport in favour of education. Education got me nowhere :). Now with a family I am going back into coaching as the long hour demands from my "day job" does not fit. Sport would have given me way more opportunities than education, even as a non-elite.

My child will, as much as anyone can predict, go on to elite sport (she should be doing jnr elites next year, all being well). I feel while she is young she should grab these opportunities. She does miss school, with the schools blessing, for comps, training, squad etc. So far she is keeping up OK. She can always go back to school once her sport career is over. She can't go back to sport once she finishes school :)

Obviously, if she was more standard club level, I'd think again. But I'd still encourage sport over excessive homework and the like :)

Just my 2p.

ETA; Also knowing the difference between "there" and "their" will help with the job search ;)

I disagree. I've been headhunted twice for big opportunities. Both times it's because I had my gymnastics on my cv. That's what stood out, and that's what they wanted to talk about at interview. Kids leaving DD's gym are getting jobs and uni places because of their gymnastics, over more qualified applicants, as they are showing they have a work life balance, are dedicated, work with others, travel experience, etc, etc, etc.

I was someone who was strongly discouraged from elite sport in favour of education. Education got me nowhere :). Now with a family I am going back into coaching as the long hour demands from my "day job" does not fit. Sport would have given me way more opportunities than education, even as a non-elite.

My child will, as much as anyone can predict, go on to elite sport (she should be doing jnr elites next year, all being well). I feel while she is young she should grab these opportunities. She does miss school, with the schools blessing, for comps, training, squad etc. So far she is keeping up OK. She can always go back to school once her sport career is over. She can't go back to sport once she finishes school :)

Obviously, if she was more standard club level, I'd think again. But I'd still encourage sport over excessive homework and the like :)

Just my 2p.

ETA; Also knowing the difference between "there" and "their" will help with the job search ;)

As a teacher, I'd caution you to think again about "...she can go back to school..." I hope you are not sacrificing her education for gym. A gymnast, beit elite or JO, should be well rounded. Just a thought.

Why would she not be able to go back to school?

If a child is bright, they'll keep up generally, and putting exams on hold for a year or two won't affect an eventual academic career. If they're not academic, then maybe they'd have a better career in sport anyway?

We are not "sacrificing her education". She is still being educated. To get good grades here you have to be pretty much 100% focussed on school, many schools recommend 2-3 hours homework a night from 8th grade. I would rather she concentrated on sport, then school, than try to do both less well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back