WAG What would decertification mean for us?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Other sports and youth organizations work just fine without children being alone with coaches or other non-related adults. Sure, it can make things a little more conplicated, but it can work as long as parents and coaches buy in.

No way I would trust my child with a coach who was willing to violate policies put in place for my child's safety.

Have parents meet up at the airport with other families - from other teams if need be. Multiple kids and coaches can then travel together. When my boys attend Scout camps, this is what they do. No non-related adult alone with a single child - EVER. This won't prevent every instance of abuse. However, if it prevents even 1 child from the horror of abuse, we have to all get on board.

How many of those victim impact statements used phrases like - Nassar was like family. We trusted him. etc. It is imperative that parents stop using these phrases as excuses cor being willing to violate safe sport policies. Most are trustworthy, but the abuser doesn't wear a sign saying that he isn't trustworthy. Being trustworthy is part of the process of gaining access to abuse.

How many of those victim impact statements used phrases like - Nassar was like family. We trusted him. etc. It is imperative that parents stop using these phrases as excuses cor being willing to violate safe sport policies. Most are trustworthy, but the abuser doesn't wear a sign saying that he isn't trustworthy. Being trustworthy is part of the process of gaining access to abuse.

yes, this. What makes me trust DD's coaches and my DS's coaches (different sport) is that they are not willing to compromise the policies. The policy is there to protect, period. They figure out a way. They demonstrate through these actions that they are worthy of my trust because they are not budging on these things. DS's coaches send WEEKLY reminders about safe sport practices in their emails. If a kid contacts a coach and does not have the parent on the correspondence it is immediately forwarded to the parent and the kid is reminded of safe sport practice. If the behavior is repeated, they will be reprimanded. They take it seriously. And they do have many meets where the team travels together and not all parents attend. They follow strict policies and safe sport guidelines to ensure safety of the athletes at these events. No exceptions. If it is done in other sports all. the. time. then there is NO REASON why it can not happen in gymnastics. Lets learn from this and not repeat the mistakes of the past is my feeling.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back