WAG When to skip bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have about half of my team with very sore hands. We have a meet on Saturday. I'm wondering if we should skip practicing on bars one day this week? Which one? We practice Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

We usually don't do bars the day before a meet just to give our hands a rest. Besides that it's "tough it out" or "get over it".

If so many people have sore hands, you should skip a day, on Friday. That's what my coaches do before a meet. You don't want someone to get a rip right before a competition, or have more sore hands on Saturday. :S When I have sore hands I ice them, and take a pumice stone and smooth out my hands a bit. Tell them that, it should help. My coaches also take athletic tape, fold it in half, and wrap and tape around our hands to cover the callouses if we HAVE to do bars and hands are sore. Good luck! :D

You can always do bars in an a different sort of way. We do lots of floor bar work on pirouettes when their hands are hurting. Casts, presses and planges are also good to work when the hands are sore.

Thanks for replies. Because their hands are sore now, we'll probably take today off bars, do a full bar practice Wednesday and a mock meet on Friday. Hope it helps. Some do have tape grips but have still been complaining.

no days off of bars unless their hands and wrists are shredded beef.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back