Which one? (front tuck pass)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm doing USAIGC silver and I have my front tuck (I squat instead of stand, but i have time to fix it), and I have my Front Hand Spring (ditto to the FT). And my options for my routine is: Front tuck step out FHS, or FHS front tuck. Which one is easier? My front tuck (by itself) is better than my FHS (by itself). My FHS, i need to learn to get my hips up and not squat.... I can't get that in my brain haha. And it's pretty difficult for me to do even a dive roll out of my FHS.
But I need to run into my FHS... so I don't know how the FT step out FHS would work for me.

Thanks!

p.s. my coach REALLY wants me doing the FHS FT. So, I'm most likely doing that one. Any drills? Tips? Thank you again!!

It sounds like ft fhs would be easier for you, but if your coach wants you to do fhs ft then I would work on that one. When you come out of your fhs you want you hips in front, and your legs staight. You want you head and arms back. You should be in an outcurve positions. If you are goind in the direction that you are reading this it should look like this ). Then as you are doing you front tuck you should snap into this position (. I hope you get what I am trying to say. I am also working on fhs ft, and this is how my coach explained it. When I started working on them we took a mini tramp (the circle ones you can get a Wal Mart), but you could use a spring board and but a cheese mat on the other side (fat side beside the spring board). On the low side put a sting mat or crash mat. Run, jump on the beat board, hands go on the top of the cheese as you do you front spring (down the cheese) then you should land at the bottom of the chesse (you can leave a space inbetween the cheese and mat to land, it will be easier) Then you do your front tuck onto the mat, all conected. To work on going higher you could have someone holding a pool noodle or something soft for you to front tuck over.
It should loook like this:
_> ____
spring board, cheese, space, mat
Feet..............hands... feet ..feet
.................................front tuck
The dots are their because I couldn't leave spaces.
If you don't understand this let me know and I will try and make it more clear.

Tips?

does anybody have tips for rotating faster on a front tuck

Throw your arms hard up and over, tuck fast and tight, and grab your knees. :)

blackbeltgymnast, it sounds like ft fhs would be better for you but keep working fhs ft. On your fhs, make sure you push the floor really hard with straight arms and keep your head back and looking at your hands. It takes practice but you'll get it. :)

front hand tuck vs. front tuck front hand

Well, front hand spring tuck would make more sense. You can do drills such as front handspring over a rolling barrel or anything that is fairly tall and is able to roll. Once you have mastered front hand tuck, you can move to layout, twisting, etc... or you can also go front hand tuck punch front tuck. You will get way more value working that rather than front tuck front hand whatever you decide to do out of it. Think about stretching tall and looking at the ceiling when you land, and front hand tuck looks much more pretty :) hope this helped!

Just to cheer you up on the FHS FT combo :), I suspect judges would prefer it as much as the coach.
Besides, it's the FT you land better, so you can afford some loss of speed and still land that skill on your feet (even if low) from a FHS. Whereas it sounds less likely you'll get a decent landing on your FHS if it's at the end.
My theory is the judges may get a better overall impression (score) of a ordinary looking FHS FT where both are landed low than they would of a FT FHS where the FT looks good but the last skill they see looks bad (especially an "easier" skill they'd expect better form on).
Good luck with it!!
PS: To gymlifelover, you'll usually rotate faster if you're tuck is tighter and you time your arms drop from overhead to your sides as you hit upsidedown (ie: that way dropping your arms lifts you up).

Last edited by a moderator:
PS: Have you tried doing an arabian? If your FT is stronger than your FHS maybe it's worth trying FT arabian as a combo?!

if your fhs aren't very good then ft fhs would definately be easier because you have to get a good rebound out of your fhs if you're gonna do a ft out of it.

Start drilling the FHS from a lunge or step into lunge or a powerhurdle-lunge.

Gymnasts need to make sure they are pushing off the front and rear leg besides the kick at the start of the FHS. Other than that, it merely requires that the shoulders stay open, shrug open and they don't tuck their chin in as they rotate over. Flyspring is a good drill for this.

Lead the heels into the entry of the front tuck so you are not just trying to ball up and catch your knees. punch off the floor as if you were going to do a front layout, then pull the butt over the head in a tight tuck and sit up and compress into a ball in the air. You have to make sure your tuck is tight and not loose or open. This is one of the biggest problems in front tuck.

Another is if the arms get thrown forward, it will be long versus high. So don't throw your arms in front of your face/chest. Keep them above your head. Think soccer throw from behind the head to overhead.

Start drilling the FHS from a lunge or step into lunge or a powerhurdle-lunge.

Gymnasts need to make sure they are pushing off the front and rear leg besides the kick at the start of the FHS. Other than that, it merely requires that the shoulders stay open, shrug open and they don't tuck their chin in as they rotate over. Flyspring is a good drill for this.

Lead the heels into the entry of the front tuck so you are not just trying to ball up and catch your knees. punch off the floor as if you were going to do a front layout, then pull the butt over the head in a tight tuck and sit up and compress into a ball in the air. You have to make sure your tuck is tight and not loose or open. This is one of the biggest problems in front tuck.

Another is if the arms get thrown forward, it will be long versus high. So don't throw your arms in front of your face/chest. Keep them above your head. Think soccer throw from behind the head to overhead.

Yeah, it's really weird.. I have a "the best flyspring in the gym if I push my hips up" says my coach

I would be nervous about asking someone who lands in a squat on either FT or FHS to connect either of those skills. If your FHS does not end in a tight rebound, it will be impossible to do a front tuck out of it. I would work FHS-dive roll and FHS-flyspring until you can rebound out of them both comfortably. Also do FHS-dive roll onto wedge mat and then FHS-dive roll onto a resi. Then you can try FHS-front tuck onto a wedge mat (to protect your butt) until that is comfortable. Move it to an 8-inch mat, etc.

Yeah, I'd work on the FHS rebound and FHS dive roll. FT FHS is kind of hard to pull off without rhythm errors. Eventually you need a stronger FHS for either but I'd through all my energy into the FHS FT.

An arabian initiates from a back rebound, so doing a front tuck into it is not really done. RO arabian punch FT is a viable combo, but you probably need a strong back salto. That's also assuming the series is just two connected elements with one forward element. If you need two connected forward elements (like in USAG L7), arabian front tuck will not meet the requirement.

If you can do a good flyspring you might try doing two in a row and then doing a front tuck and punching into that, or doing the flyspring into the front tuck.

Yeah, I need a front tuck in my pass. I'm doing USAIGC silver. And my routine is already made (my team has the same one) and it only has time for FHS FT or FT FHS. But my coaches seem to think I can get my FHS FT. So thanks for all the help guys!:D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back