Parents Who Has Competed Level 3?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I really want to get a feel for parent's opinions on competing level 3. What were the pros and cons? Did you feel it benefited your gymmie and if so, how? I am trying to make an educated choice about my DD competing level 3 next year. She would start training the routines in March. I think it would give her an idea of what competition is like in a low stress way. Our gym goes to outside meets with outside judges and the competitions are strickly level 3's only. The current level 3's parents say it is very low key. Is that a realistic reason to do level 3? Did your gymmies enjoy it? Thanks for any replies in advance. I guess I should add that my DD would be 5 when she competed level 3.

That's nice you get a choice! We are having to compete level 2 this year to avoid having to drive a long way each practice for DD to do a gym that doesn't. She is 6. It is a lot of expense. If she could start competing at level 4 or 5 I think I'd prefer that. By doing the nearby program, however, she gets to make chums that are "local" and also neither child has to wait around at the other's practice now.

My DD competed L3. For her, I think it was beneficial. That may not be the case for everyone. Prior to competing she was VERY shy and lacked self confidence. By the end of L3 and Rookie 1 ( our gym competes compulsory in the fall & prep op in the spring ( Jan - March ). She was a different kid. Now, she cannot wait to get out there and perform !

I think bein introduced to competition in a lower key enviroment was helpful.

In Australia nearly all gymnasts compete level 3. There are sanctioned competitions right from level 1-10. Most clubs compete from level 1-10.

Advantages
* Getting kids into competition earlier. In many other sports kids will get to compete straight away while in gymnastics it can take years. We lose some kids to other sports if they are highly competitive.
* More experience in front of judges and so on. Builds their confidence, as so many in Australia compete from level 1. If you wait until level 4 to compete you are at a serious disadvantage as all the other kids have been in front of judges for 4 years.
* Getting used to competition in a level where there is less pressure. level 3 comps tend to be a bit friendlier, while by level 4 comps can be huge and very serious.
* Right from an early age kids are exposed to developing perfect technique. This will give them habits which they will hopefully have ingrained into them from now on.

Disadvantages
* Level 3 skills aren't always as progressive to higher level skills. Spending a long time perfecting level 3 skills for competition could be better used preparing for higher level skills.
* Competition takes up a lot of training tine with practicing routines and perfecting skills rather than on learning new skills. There is time for more perfection later on.
* In the US level 3's seem very young. The average level 3 in Australia is 7-9 years old. 5 is very young.

Obviously every child is different and repond differently but my daughter competed level 3 at 5 years old and also level 2 at 4 years old. For her I think it was a very good experience competing level 3. Her focus shifted from "getting the next big skill" to "perfecting form and skills". She made the connection of why she was doing all the work she was doing. Competing helped her realize the point to all the conditioning and perfecting (pointing toes etc.) Also my dd is a natural performer and loves an audience. There was no pressure....it was just level 3 not nationals or anything. It gave her meet experience. It taught her how to lose, how to win, how hard work at practice eventually translates to doing well at a meet, how to set goals and achieve them.

The only down side was her HC required a 36AA to move to the next level. She stressed this to the girls and my dd who was by far the youngest didn't quite understand scoring but knew she needed a 36 and put alot of pressure on herself. HC eventually explained to her that she'd move to L4 regardless and at the nextand last meet scored a 36.9 and was very proud of herself. We are at a different gym now and that is not a requirement. She thoroughly enjoys competing. I don't think just training would satisfy her but you know your dd the best. Wish you and your dd the very best. You sound like a good mama and ask all the good questions. Good luck making your decision. I am sure you're make the right one for your dd.

You might want to read a thread in the coach forum called Competing L3 states. Lots of coach opinion on the pros/cons of doing L1-L3.

I just wated to thank everyone for their advice. She has decided to do level 3 all on her own next year. Her best friend is 6 at the gym and they are going to do it together. This is so so so cool because her best friend's mom is a really good friend of mine. My DD stesses that it would be fun to stay in a hotel, just like the Barbie gymnast in a book we have. They were in a class last year together but this year they can only get together for open gyms so it will be good to spend next year together. I know there are crazy gym parents out there but I think everyone on this board can tell you that most of the parents are great, realistic and supportive of everyone. I am looking foward to next year already.

Midget has been competing L3 this year, and competed L2 last year. I read both threads about this earlier, the parent one and the coach one and both sides make great points, but I must say that I found it very beneficial for Midget.

Yes, had she not competed 2 and 3 she would have moved to 4 much earlier since she could have spent more time on skills and less on routines. But I have seen a huge growth in her because of competing. The biggest growth has been in learning to deal with disappointment.

Plus I think she would have lost her focus if she had spent so much time learning skills without the fun of competing. She loves going to meets.

That said I have a meet report to write out for a level 3 meet. :D

Midget has been competing L3 this year, and competed L2 last year. I read both threads about this earlier, the parent one and the coach one and both sides make great points, but I must say that I found it very beneficial for Midget.

Yes, had she not competed 2 and 3 she would have moved to 4 much earlier since she could have spent more time on skills and less on routines. But I have seen a huge growth in her because of competing. The biggest growth has been in learning to deal with disappointment.

Plus I think she would have lost her focus if she had spent so much time learning skills without the fun of competing. She loves going to meets.

That said I have a meet report to write out for a level 3 meet. :D

That is just like my daughters too! Realistically, I don't expect my daughters to go to the Olympics. There is no point to push them really fast to high levels. Let them learn the skills and enjoy it. Let them enjoy competiting and learn about healthy life styles. I have a level 2 gymnast (Ellie) and level 3(Emma). :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back