Why won't her coaches allow her BHS?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think backyard tramps are dangerous if they are owned by careless parents! We have had one for 12 years, in fact we have had two, and the only injury sustained was a knee in a nose. We have very strict rules and the kids obey them or they don't bounce. BOth tramps have had full safety nets.

Unregulated backyard tramps are extremely dangerous!

However this in not the tramp discussion thread.Feel free to start a new thread on the topic, I am SURE you will get lots of input.

totally agree that they are dangerous. and you know that i know this if you remember what i do in the day.;)

"Not many 6-7 year olds (unless they do an awful lot of hours and conditioning) have the strength for the arch dish snap or push through the shoulders. And with a tramp they don't need the snap to get over so they don't snap they pike." by Gymnut.

DD had her robhs at 4 and really perfected it by 5. She didn't learn on tramp. but rather by jumping on our couch. No amount of telling her to STOP worked. She'd watch us turn our backs and she would get back at it. DD's current gym does however break the bh into parts and does teach it on tramp. It seems to work for the kids.

I said not many ;)

and I stand by my opinion that it is incredibly rare to see a 'no deduction' BHS at 6. Do you have a video of her perfect BHS at 5. I sure would love to see that kind of talent!:)

I think backyard tramps are fine if you respect it and know it. I think kids need to have a sense of caution. If a child is just plain reckless for age ... unable to control impulses ... probably a bad idea.

I mean, what is safe? Type 2 diabetes is not safe ... our health care costs might go down if the goverment gave every family with children a backyard trampoline.

Kids get hurt all the time if they are active. I'm not convinced by how many ER visits there are per year related to tramps, that the benefit to risk is not worth it.

My kids are 5.5 and 7, and we have always had a tramp. I bought it before we had kids.

Hey no tramp discussion. You have to start new thread for that. THis is Bella's Mom's BHS thread! Be good folk....LOL

My daughter is on pre-team and they are testing in January to see if they will make the level 4 team. They find out in June. They haven't really worked a lot of back handsprings in class and I know that they have to have a roundoff backhandspring in level 4 floor. They will start competing I think in October of next year. I think they are just waiting until it gets closer to really start focusing on it. Right now it's all about conditioning and perfecting the other skills. Maybe that's what your daughters coach is working on just the girls getting better at the skills they have before adding a new one.

My daughter is on pre-team and they are testing in January to see if they will make the level 4 team. They find out in June. They haven't really worked a lot of back handsprings in class and I know that they have to have a roundoff backhandspring in level 4 floor. They will start competing I think in October of next year. I think they are just waiting until it gets closer to really start focusing on it. Right now it's all about conditioning and perfecting the other skills. Maybe that's what your daughters coach is working on just the girls getting better at the skills they have before adding a new one.

Our pre-team feeds into L3 team. I would estimate that Bella's class works on backhandsprings about once every four practices?

Before preteam, Bella was in the Hot Shots class, which is an invitation competition track type lesson. When she was in hot shots, they began doing BHS with a spot on a mat that was on the in-floor tramp. Once she moved up to pre team, that coach spots them on the floor still on a mat.

I see the L3 girls work on bhs but my understanding is that it isn't in their routine. This is probably why our gym doesn't really work the bhs much in preteam.

I've told Bella that we are going to discuss this with her coach tonight at practice and we'll take it from there. Like I said earlier, I figured there was some reason her coach wasn't encouraging the skill, and the reasons given make a lot of sense. It's hard to hold an enthusiastic kid back though. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
When DD was in preteam they didn't work on them at all, not even with a spot. Preteam is like L3 at her gym for kids who aren't old enough for the regular level classes. They just did BWO. When she moved to Level 4 I was really concerned because I know there is a ROBHS in the routine and it seemed like it would take a really long time to learn that. Surprisingly it only took her about 6 weeks to get her ROBHS. I'm not claiming it's perfect. I'm sure it doesn't have perfect form etc, but it's not scary like some of them I have seen on youtube. So hopefully it will come quick once they start working on it.

I'm such an overprotective, scared mother that I won't even let my child jump on the trampoline at open gym, much less do tricks. Her gym has an inground tramp and she went to an open gym with friends at another gym and all she wanted to do was jump on the above ground tramp. I was like "Absolutely not!" The other parents were making fun of me, but I'm so afraid she'll get hurt. This is probably not the sport for my kid if I can't handle that.

I said not many ;)

and I stand by my opinion that it is incredibly rare to see a 'no deduction' BHS at 6. Do you have a video of her perfect BHS at 5. I sure would love to see that kind of talent!:)
If you look on DD's youtube site there are some videos at 5 doing the flip flop. She turned 6 this year in January, anything prior to that on YT she is still 5. Tumbling is what comes easy to her. She has trained level 5 since she was 5. After looking at my previous post, I realized that her bhs was the reason we started looking for a serious gym because she actually did her first one at 3 yo. Her older sis and I were watching the World Championship that year and she, little DD, just threw one without thinking. Arms were really bent, but she did it. I understand the zero push of bhs when they are young, but some real young gymmies have a knack for throwing tricks that they learn to perfect. Right now DD is doing standing power hurdle round flip flop back tuck in something they call "complex" at the beginning of every practice. HC of the optional team had her doing round off flip flop full off of tumble track for the first time this summer and she is 6. IDK but I trust his judgement. He did win Junior Olympic Coach of the year this year. Yeah! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So tonight, Bella was chatting with her coach and next thing we know, she just throws a back handspring right there on the floor. LOL

Her coach spent the next ten minutes spotting her and correcting form, giving tips, etc. I guess she decided that if the kid was going to be doing them, might as well be training them.

Her coach finally gave in eh?! :) At least the coach can train her the skill correctly now rather than her picking up the bad habits that trampolines tend to bring!! Good luck to her, hopefully she'll be throwing an awesome BHS soon! :)

Depends on how old she is and what level she is at. Bhs is a level 4 skill and many coaches dont like kids doing skills before a certain level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back