Parents Wishing I could help...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pea'sMom

Proud Parent
Pea got the level bomb dropped on her after practice today. Coaches decided not to compete level 6 and told the few girls that were on the fence that it was 7 or 5. Pea was crushed :( She's regressed a lot a in the last month and has lost her flyaway. She says she is scared of hitting her toes or releasing too late and flying into the bar (can't quite picture that last one?) I saw her the other day and she's plugging away at it, casts to handstand, swing, then just won't release. Coaches position is that she has the ability, they have given her what she needs, and she just won't. This is, I guess, their last attempt at pushing her. Wish I could take all her misplaced anxiety and stress and fix it for her. But basically she has to want it more then she is afraid of falling...

:( That's rough, but competing at level 7 if you don't have the skills would be rough as well. I think being a parent to a gymnast is rough. There are so many ups and downs in gymnastics and it seems as the skills get harder, the ups come less and less. All we can do is support them and encourage them as best we can. For my daughter, the issue is always beam, (old) levels 4 and 5 were fine, but since (old) level 6, it's been a struggle over and over. She was a level 7 for 2 years and off and on battled fears the whole time. It's worse this year at level 8, I ask myself why she keeps going back, but she does and still seems happy. I hate seeing her struggle. Can't fix it. I just hope it has some benefit, all the struggle that is.

Hang in there. Maybe your DD will get her skills. When do they compete level 5? 7? Is it the same season? How much time do they have before decisions are made?

Tough situation, that's why I like L6. Huge jump from L5 to L7. If she is having trouble with her fly away from tap swings, it's a long way (mostly up hill) to a giant fly away... Not to mention beam. I hope the coaches reconsider. Good luck to you both. :)

Flyaway is very mental and driven down the wrong path by anxiety. Your coaches are making the absolute right call. Marathon not a sprint.

I know the coaches are making the right call in her case...I would never want her to compete without having all her skills. They won't let her compete 6, since she is capable of 7. That's what they told me. In our state compulsories were fall, optionals spring. But this year they switched L5 to the optional schedule, so doing both is not an option. So they have given her a few more weeks, she has the ability, she just has to push through and want it. I just have to watch her struggle, wishing I could fix it :(

I wish we had a magic wand sometimes, to get them (and us!) through their struggles. It is so hard for them to know they can do something, yet can't because of fears, etc. My daughter will say all the time she wanted to go (her beam series or back tuck on beam) and she knows she can, but she just couldn't go. So hard to have no way to help.

Hang in there, mama. I can't remember how old your daughter is, but can say that my daughter repeated old level 4 and old level 5 and also did 2 years at level 7. Repeating a level can be a good thing, especially if they are on the border. Not every kid flies through the levels quickly. :) Some take the longer, more scenic route, lol.

Thanks for all the reassurance. Pea is quite adamant that she DOES NOT want to repeat 5 ;) We spent some time yesterday talking about what might be stopping her from releasing. We spent some time on google looking for metal block 'tips and tricks.' And she feels like she has a plan of attack for tonight. First step is going back to her flyaway tucked instead of layout. She watched her video's from last year, saw herself doing it, walked through the steps in her head, worked out some verbal cues, and did some crying. Fingers crossed!

Trust me, going 'back' to her tucked flyaway is actually going forward! :) Trying layouts from tap swings at level 5 is a recipe for disaster, or at least a bad flyaway! IMO ;) All kids worry about hitting their feet on a flyaway, doing it laid out greatly increases those chances. I think back to lots of drills, timers, spots, and the tuck, and hopefully she will get back on track shortly. I will keep my fingers crossed. :)

Thanks for all the positive thoughts, they worked! She's back to flying away and gianting! Only bailed once last night and received two apples for her hard work from her coach. Now to put the two together ;) HC's are away this week and she is insisting that she will get it before they get back.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts, they worked! She's back to flying away and gianting! Only bailed once last night and received two apples for her hard work from her coach. Now to put the two together ;) HC's are away this week and she is insisting that she will get it before they get back.

I was reading through hoping and hoping that by the time I got to the end it would be this kind of post!!! Yay Pea!!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back