Parents Another start value question.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2-4

Proud Parent
DD has fallen on every attempt of giants this year due to cast not being high enough. So coach is removing the giants and one of the cast from the routine. She is trying to qualify for regionals in 3 weeks She is about a total point off around 34 AA. Needs a 35 at states. So SV is super important. Last year L 6 she did kip cast CH. Jump to HB. Kip cast CH fly away. Took deductions all year on both casts to horizontal. So this year again not to 45. Huge deductions. So HC told DD new bar routine has SV of 9.2. I don't think this is correct I think it's lower. The routine will be : Kip squat on jump to HB. Kip cast to horizontal CH flyaway. I am thinking 2 missing parts for 9.0 or less just on SV. What do you think?

If level 6 I think they need a free hip, stalder or sole circle somewhere in the routine?
Sorry it's l7 and it has a free hip Or clear hip sorry all I abbreviated it as CH which is probably cast handstand. So it is just kip squat on jump to highbar kip cast to horiz. Free hip flyaway. Can she use a sole circle in l 7 as a circle element. Or as a missing "A"?

DD has fallen on every attempt of giants this year due to cast not being high enough. So coach is removing the giants and one of the cast from the routine. She is trying to qualify for regionals in 3 weeks She is about a total point off around 34 AA. Needs a 35 at states. So SV is super important. Last year L 6 she did kip cast CH. Jump to HB. Kip cast CH fly away. Took deductions all year on both casts to horizontal. So this year again not to 45. Huge deductions. So HC told DD new bar routine has SV of 9.2. I don't think this is correct I think it's lower. The routine will be : Kip squat on jump to HB. Kip cast to horizontal CH flyaway. I am thinking 2 missing parts for 9.0 or less just on SV. What do you think?
Since you mentioned 45, I am going on L7:
Kip - 1 A
Squat on - 1 A
Kip - 1 A
Cast - no credit
CH... if that is a Clear Hip - 1 B
Flyaway - 1 A
That is 4 A's and 1 B.
L7 requires 5 A's and 2 B's.
She is missing the Cast SR.
-0.1 for the missing A
-0.3 for the missing B
-0.5 for the missing SR Cast
9.1 Start Value.
Add a low bar clear hip and kip and the SV goes up to 9.5. It would require an extra cast, and she is losing 0.3 in deductions per cast.
9.5-0.6=8.9 max if all else is perfect.
9.1-0.3=8.8 max if all else is perfect.

Kip - A
Squat on/ jump to high - A
Kip - A
Horizontal cast - no value
Clear hip - B
Flyaway - A

This routine is missing the 3/4 cast(0.5), a 2nd circling element(0.5), a B (0.3) and an A(0.1), so would start from an 8.6. It is worth it to leave out a cast and take the missing A(since she would be losing way more than a tenth on a horizontal cast. Best solution with no giant is to do 2 clear hips in a row. Routine with horizontal cast and one missing A would start from 9.4.

So she might as well do the shorter routine and take the SV hit. Little difference. So no credit + .3 that's .8 for one cast. Or .6 if she does two badly.

Kip - A
Kip - A
Clear hip - B
Flyaway - A

This routine is missing the 3/4 cast(0.5), a 2nd circling element(0.5), a B (0.3) and an A(0.1), so would start from an 8.6. It is worth it to leave out a cast and take the missing A(since she would be losing way more than a tenth on a horizontal cast. Best solution with no giant is to do 2 clear hips in a row. Routine with horizontal cast and one missing A would start from 9.4.
The problem with 2 clear hips in a row is it adds another bad cast.

[QUOTE"wandrewsjr, post: 445495, member: 5258"]Kip - A
Kip - A
Clear hip - B
Flyaway - A

This routine is missing the 3/4 cast(0.5), a 2nd circling element(0.5), a B (0.3) and an A(0.1), so would start from an 8.6. It is worth it to leave out a cast and take the missing A(since she would be losing way more than a tenth on a horizontal cast. Best solution with no giant is to do 2 clear hips in a row. Routine with horizontal cast and one missing A would start from 9.4.[/QUOTE]
Lol, i forgot that the second circling element was part of the SR. I thought my number was off, but not on my computer, so didn't have them in front of me. :)

Right now she averages around 9.1 on floor and vault. Needs to get around 8.4 on beam and bars. Another dumb question since none of this is my call. But can you use a jump connected to acro. Ex. RO switch jump. For beam connection or must it be two connected parts like BWO BWO.

Two clear hips in a row on high bar is still only one cast(cast on low bar into squat on isn't evaluated for height). Sole circle won't cover the requirement, needs to be a clear circling element - clear hip, stalder, toe-on-toe-off, giant, etc.

I am not sure where HC is getting her SV from. She is pretty new to the optional thing though.
She is just forgeting about two circling skills being separate special requirements worth 0.5 each, and she was probably counting the cast as an A. Not uncommon, and I know many who might miss it.

Two clear hips in a row on high bar is still only one cast(cast on low bar into squat on isn't evaluated for height). Sole circle won't cover the requirement, needs to be a clear circling element - clear hip, stalder, toe-on-toe-off, giant, etc.
She has a good toe circle. How long to get the toe on/off. If she had any sort of handstand, her giants are good. Stupid puberty, bars are such a struggle right now had a cast to handstand in the summer now not even close. I asked her about the toe hand on HB she said she is terrified of doing it in highbar. Has only done it on strap bar.

Why not a second Clear hip on high bar? DD did that and had 10.0 start values...but her casts were all to HS (NOT out of the clear hip, those were about 60 degrees usually - she took hits, generally scored 8.9-9.2 on bars...).

anyway, my point is the 2 B circling elements can be the same one, and don't have to be in a row, so she could do one on each bar...not sure if that would be worse for her if she can't cast well yet...

puberty sucks for girl gymnasts!

Update to previous thread. DD did clear hip/clear hip flyaway Gave up on the giants for now. Scored 8.6 which was much better than the 7.5's she was getting. She really wants that 35AA to qualify for regionals at state. Her score tonight with the higher SV was 34.8 so much more achievable now. I may have mentioned this change to her. But I think they were going to change it anyway. She is really happy to get rid of the 8.6 or 8.8 SV. I think she said it is now 9.4. Thanks to all who posted suggestions. I will let you know how it goes at states.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back