WAG Double tuck help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
My double pikes are perfect, nice and high and great form. My double tuck, not so much. Ugh I can't figure out why... Everyone I know is the other way around. My double tuck travels too much and I either land short or fly backwards... By am I doing this??

Can someone help?

Just guessing......You're probably extending your hips as you punch for the pike, and that extended position shifts your weight slightly forward. When you shift your weight forward it gives you a feeling of "balance" as you elevate, and it's that balance that allows you to initiate the pike motion.

I call this a balanced set because it puts a brief brief moment into the take-off where you can get into the right posture as you leave the floor to initiate either a twist or a salto. It doesn't really balance like a ball on a seal's nose, but it does allow for better control.

If you don't have a balanced set for the tuck in will allow your shoulders to lead the skill and "fall back" as you extend out of your punch. This creates a bad situation because your legs, specifically your shins, have to "catch up" before they start circling your traveling center of gravity.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back