floor routine choreography

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shadow

Coach
This summer, i know i will have at least 6 floor routines that i have to create for our girls. I'm fairly new at this... i made 2 last year and i help with the dance like if the routines needs some fillers or things, but i think this year i may have some trouble. Where would i get inspiration for dance moves? I'm worried that the routines are going to looks too similar because i can't think of anything different? Is there any other choreographers out there that could help?

My DD watches you tube videos and then tries to do the dance moves she sees on there. That may at least give you some inspiration! We have seen some really cool moves on You Tube !!

i guess i could try you tube^^ it just makes me feel like i'm "stealing" others routines even though i'm only taking little parts. it just makes me feel better when the girls have a routine that no one else has but it is so hard!! so i will try you tube^^

Also you could ask the girls if they have anything they want in their routine, sometimes they come up with some rally intresting and cool stuff

Try watching videos from So You Think You Can Dance. Nice variety of dancing from ballet to hip hop and alot in between.

at our old gym our coach always had 10 min on friday at the end of practice put on some music of various varieties and had the girls just go for it. She would make notes as to what the girls were doing make notes and the gym hired a choreographer who would make the dance parts of the routines in between the tumbling. Coach was able to use the notes to see if the girls were more of a classical music, rock music, big band music, etc. She would have the girls listen to the CD's and choose 3 songs they liked and would ok one of them (usually the girls pick out something that suites them - if not the coach had her own picks) Coach would sit with Choreographer discuss the personalilties of each girl about 6 weeks prior to girls getting their routines then one girl a day would work with the choreographer to get their routines while parents videoed the routine so girl could watch it over and over. One with just the choreographer, one with girl and choreographer and one with just the girl. You could work with a local dance studio coreographer at least until you feel comfortable doing it yourself.

At our new gym the coach is also a dance teacher/choreographer so not the same set up.

Hi!

like others have said, you tube is always good - even if you just get ideas for how to get down low to the ground, or out of a spin etc. Watching old routines really helps as the dance was so much better back in the 80's!

I always start with the starting position, and quite often the end position too. Then put the tumbling/skills in and work on a floor plan. I try to use the rule that the gymnast should use as much floor as possible, and get down low to the floor at least once. I like to give the gymnasts as much time as possible to finish their skill before the next bit of dance too. Having said this, if I listen to a piece of music and it just doesn't inspire me, I cannot choreograph a routine to it for love nor money (not that I get any money!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back