WAG Possible Gym Switch *Parent & Coach Advice Appreciated*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom1006

Proud Parent
Hi, my daughter is going to a practice tonight at a new gym that some of her school friends go to.

She is currently at a small gym, on preteam. She's been asked to move to team, but they don't base the team on levels, just train as they go. They have 2 coaches for about 18 girls(with the new girls moving up), and they are all various levels. My daughter has some level 3 and 4 skills, but when evaluated at the gym she is practicing at tonight they said they would put her on pre-team, because she doesn't have skills like windmill, handstand on beam, etc. I'm at my wits end with this decision, and really tired of thinking about it, and would like advice. My daughter is only 7 and says she wants to go to college w gymnastics. I don't want to go broke taking her to an elite gym, but want to give her the opportunity if it's possible.

My choices are:

Current gym, she will be training 12 hours. The coach has said she MIGHT let her compete level 3 usag this fall if her skills are perfect. She doesn't feel they should compete usag unless she feels they would place, due to it crushing their confidence if they don't. I don't agree with that, but I'm not the coach. This coach has also said that all the girls will have to compete either level 3 or 5, because that's all they have time for. I don't know if the girls will be held back in the future or having to compete levels over due to them not having time to take them to meets.

Potential new gym. She's been evaluated and they said they would put her on pre-team until she gets the level 3 skills she needs, but they don't think it would be very long due to her strength. I've emailed the head coach to ask about their team program. They have only been open 3 years, so they only have girls up to level 7 currently. She said they compete the teams at level 4 and generally 1st year level 6's compete USAG Invitationals and TAAF, and they will enter into USAG solely at level 7.

I know I read somewhere that in USAG they have to start competing at Level 4. Is that true? I'm probably way overthinking all of this, but I want to make sure we make the right decision. We can't go back to her current gym if we leave. Any advice is appreciated.

They have to compete level 4 & 5 USAG, but could just go to one meet to score out. Are those your only two choices for gyms?

What is the highest level your current gym has girls competing at?

USAG has levels 1, 2, 3, etc. It just depends what level the gym chooses to start competing. Level 4 is the first level that they have to actually score out of. That's why it seems odd that your current gym won't be competing level 4. Not only is that a "required" level, but it's also a level that typically has a lot of kids. Our level 4 group is, by far, the largest group at our gym.

It sounds like your DD will be on pre-team at both gyms. Neither gym sounds like an "elite" gym, though maybe the new gym has plans to go that route? That's certainly not something I would worry about at this point though.

How do you feel about your current gym? Is she loving it? Getting good coaching? Making good progress? I guess, unless there are glaring issues with your current gym, I might be inclined to stick it out a bit longer while the other gym finds its way. I switched my DD to a brand-new gym... signed her up before the mortar on the last concrete block in the pit was dry. But that was a case of really NEEDING to get out of the previous gym. No regrets, but there have definitely been some growing pains. If you can't switch back to current gym and those are your only two options, I would want to be 100% sure before you burn any bridges.

No neither one of these is an elite gym, but the new gym said they will go up to level 10 as the girls progress. The current gym has girls that competed level 4 & 5 last season, and they are all doing 5 this year. A few of them competed level 4 for 3 years. I'm not sure if it's due to skills or the coaches time. There are a few issues with our current gym. I just don't know how they are going to coach a team of 16 girls of all different levels with 2 coaches, and our coach is only 16, and the head coach is in college. My daughter actually wants to switch, but she wants to go to an elite gym in the area. She's kind of at a standstill at the moment.
We know we will need to switch at some point, as they have no pit, things like that. My husband thinks we should switch now because if they invest 12 hrs a week in her, then we leave they will be very upset.

We have other options, but they are elite gyms, and I just don't feel comforatble with that at her only being 7.

It wouldn't hurt to look at the elite gyms. Not because you want your child to become elite. A vast majority of kids attending an "elite" gym are not now, nor ever will be, elite. These gyms might be really great choices for your DD. They may be the super-intense gymnastics factories you are imagining when you think of "elite gyms" or they may just get girls to elite by being fantastic gyms with amazing coaches and great equipment.

Now that you've said that your gym doesn't go past level 5 and keeps girls at the same level for multiple years in spite of them putting in long hours (I think 12 hours for pre-team is pretty long hours), I agree that switching is probably a good idea. Definitely look at the new gym, but also visit other gyms in your area, even the "elite" ones. Make a wish list of what you and DD are looking for in a gym. Ask lots of questions. Watch practices. Ask about try-outs. Ask about cost and booster clubs and hours and everything else you can think of. Hopefully the best choice will make itself obvious. Good luck! :)

The pre-team hours are only 4. The team hours are 12. That's the only 2 options. They want her to move up to 12 hrs next month, but can't say if she would compete level 3 or not. They also do a non USAG program that just competes what they can do. That's why I think her level skills are all out of whack. She's training cartwheels and back walkovers on the beam, but her ROBHS isn't good. She's competing right now they call developmental. Two of her meets her coach spotted her on her ROBHS, then her last meet her coach told her while she was warming up on floor that she wan't doing her ROBHS in her routine. I think it upset her, but she just says she's fine with it, but I could tell she was upset.

Thanks for your guys imput.

Don't discount the elite gyms as they usually have very skilled coaches. Just because they train elites doesn't mean that is all they coach. If that were the case, they would'nt be able to stay open for very long as the number of girls at that level is so small.

What exactly are you looking for? Do you think that your dd will be in it long term? Do you see her doing high school gymnastics, college gymnastics, the big O? What are you willing to sacrifice for her gymnastics? Are there potential gyms other than these two close by? Sometimes a gym just a little bit further can be good. You see, you are already asking questions about second gym also and you haven't even started there yet. If your dd is only 7 and she already has been picked for pre-team/team, that's good, you can still do jo track. Don't do anything else. Go and get an eval at the elite gyms, get an idea, then make up your mind. There's no harm in getting an evaluation.

I do see her doing this long term. She loves gymnastics. The gym she really wants to go to is more than double what we currently pay. It's an elite gym, that she went to an open gym thing once. They have 4 or 5 elites there that are on the national team. I don't know if she's star struck or just really liked the gym. They do have very good coaches there. We just can't do it right now. Maybe in about a year. We currently are looking to buy a house.

That's why I'm so confused. I don't know if I should just leave her where she is for another year, now that she will go up to 12 hours, but don't know if the training will improve. Or try the new gym, and have her basically start over at basics. She did a trial class there and liked it, but it wouldn't be a longterm gym. I just don't want to keep switching her.

Sounds like her hopes are big - so I would make sure that the training she gets in the next 1-2 years is strong on fundamentals - form, strength, progression - etc....not because you actually expect her dreams to come true - but to keep the doors open even a crack for at least high level optionals...let her dream some!

A kid working BWO on beam without a reasonable ROBHS is a red flag to me - as ROBHS is an "easy but essential" floor skill that so much builds upon.. and BWO on beam is really only used in L5 (and as part of a series in L6-L7) and shouldn't be overtrained due to back issues. However, every kid has their strengths and weaknesses - my kid can do an overshoot to handstand but still misses her giants some times...

Main idea is that what level (L3 or L4 or none) she competes this year is less important in the long run than good solid training on basics in a place she has fun and feels valued - where she learns to work hard, deal with disappointment and fears, etc. I would be very hesitant of staying/going to a place where they only compete what they can medal in (NOT REAL LIFE or REAL GYMNASTICS) or repeat repeatedly possibly due to coaching issues. If the new gym has ACTUALLY coached L10 in the past - then their plans to do so again are legit - otherwise, well I'd like to do a lot of things really well - but I wouldn't advertise that I do so until I actually do so....capiche? And gymnasts need to be seen as individuals to succeed....you are paying a lot on this already, I'd wager, so its fine to expect that your daughter work on/compete at the level she needs, not some predetermined level the gym "has time for"....obviously a gym like that won't lead to much progression (can't imagine them doing L10 with a girl for years even without anyone else over L8 - which "good" small gyms do all the time...)

This is why many experienced parents are suggesting you look at the "elite" gyms even now. I realize that money is an important part of the equation. Looking at one or more of those gyms to see what they think of where your DD is with skills would still give you a sense of what such a program would "do" with her - and may help you decide what to do while you are seeing if this passion lasts enough to be worth the family sacrifice....they also might put her in less hours due to things that need work - which MIGHT be more affordable, I don't know...but if you honestly told them you aren't sure you would like her to train there, but can't tell without her trying it out - I'm sure they'd understand. "Good" or "Elite" gyms have kids do this all the time....

I do know that there is one gym in our area that has coaches who really don't coach well over L4 or L5. Kids there repeat often - or are advanced without fundamental skills and get hurt or are the team that the other coaches won't let their girls watch due to how scary they are in meets. Kids who transfer to the other 2 gyms in town usually have to step back a level or end up coming in as "L7" and sitting at L7 for 2-3 years while they learn the skills/form they missed in earlier levels. This path is something few girls can make themselves work hard through - takes special coaches to make a girl still feel good about herself when she has to work on her kip for months even though she used to compete "giants"....etc. This stuff may seem so far in the future it doesn't play into your decision - but it really is the important stuff - not L3 or L4..

Good luck and remember to let it be fun no matter what!!

Thanks gracyomalley. I was reading that thread about BWO's and back issues the other day. I had no idea it caused such issues on the back until I read that.

I do see her doing this long term. She loves gymnastics. The gym she really wants to go to is more than double what we currently pay. It's an elite gym, that she went to an open gym thing once. They have 4 or 5 elites there that are on the national team. I don't know if she's star struck or just really liked the gym. They do have very good coaches there. We just can't do it right now. Maybe in about a year. We currently are looking to buy a house.

Hmm, are you sure about the fees for her level at that gym? I just ask because usually gyms have pretty similar fees for similar hours/groups in the same area, so more than double would be unusual even if it is an elite gym. Maybe you got a fee for a higher group that goes more hours? It might be worth it to check again and make sure.

Hmm, are you sure about the fees for her level at that gym? I just ask because usually gyms have pretty similar fees for similar hours/groups in the same area, so more than double would be unusual even if it is an elite gym. Maybe you got a fee for a higher group that goes more hours? It might be worth it to check again and make sure.
It's possible that her gym is a YMCA or other "not for profit" program. Sort of sounds like it could be from her description. Our gym fees more than doubled when DD switched from the Y, though the cost per hour was about the same, or even a little less when you figure in the fact that she was required to be a Y member.

It's possible that her gym is a YMCA or other "not for profit" program. Sort of sounds like it could be from her description. Our gym fees more than doubled when DD switched from the Y, though the cost per hour was about the same, or even a little less when you figure in the fact that she was required to be a Y member.

That's true, if it's not a private gym then I understand. But most of the other private gyms might be almost as expensive.

Her current gym is in a rec center, so that's why. The gym she wants to go to is $470 for level 3. I've checked on prices at a few other private gyms, and they are less. But, I've heard that at the elite gym you don't have to pay meet & coach fees, so it might all even out. I don't know how accurate that is though.

does the elite gym have a competitive xcel program she could possibly do for a couple of years and then switch to the Jo track. Xcel is for girls who cannot give the time and/or money as the Jo track. Check with them first if they have Xcel and if she can score out and go to Jo levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back