Coaches slow front hip circle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Stay straight a little longer before piking to go around. It will shorten the distance she has to rotate along the circumference of the circle and the longer straight body fall before the pike will give her more circle energy to work with.

Stay straight a little longer before piking to go around.

+1.

I see/hear many coaches speak about starting in a high arch and pushing your shoulders forward into a straight shape and then a pike to complete the front hip circle. It works for them. It has not worked for me. I do enjoy the straight shape tip and feel that this helps the athlete learn to tip forward around the bar for even more advance skills. Simple shape changes and simple timing - easier for the athlete to accomplish. Best with this skill, SBG-

When I started with my group of 7 L3, 3 of them had their FHC, now they all do :) I tell them, push up hollow to the mid thighs, the second they start to fall forward, they need to arch and get the feet up high, while pushing down on the bar. Once they get their head past horizontal (them knowing this angle takes LOTS of drills (tick tocs. ect...) they need to bend in a hard pike. If the arch is not there or the pike is to early, or the pike is not enough, the FHC will be slow and they will fall right down to the ground under the bar... Once they learn how to get that speed, they also NEED to know how to stay hollow at the end of the FHC or they will arch and fly over the bar, which is very scary for them! Good luck!

The compulsory book specifically states that there is no arch in the front hip circle. It is a straight-hollow lean (initiated by lifting the heels, not by dropping the chest), followed by a pime and pushing down on the bar.

That is correct. Arching is a body shape deduction. They can fall just as fast in a straight hollow shape.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back