Parents Suspected broken toe

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
Had the call we all dread, please can you collect DD from training, she's injured herself :(

Turns out, she hit her foot against the wall bars. Looks ok, but got a relative who works in A&E at hospital (ER for the non brits) to check her out. She suspects broken toe, but says the hospital won't xray because it's not get big toe, and they don't do anything for broken toes anyway. So DD is currently sporting a lovely set of taped toes to see how she goes over the next few days.

Luckily DD isn't competing now until the autumn, but she's desperate to still go to training. As her next day in the gym isn't until Saturday now what with the easter holidays, I've said we'll see how she goes between now and then.

Would you let your DD/DS still go to training in this situation, even if just for strength and conditioning work?
I have never broken a bone before, so I don't know what level of pain she's actually in, so it's really tricky to know whether she's playing it down or not!

Yes for conditioning if she is happy to. If it is a really long session maybe pick her up after a couple of hours.

Wearing trainers or crocs is a good idea to stop it getting knocked the first few days.

My dd broke her toe next to her big one just before Xmas the hospital did x ray it luckily the nurse we saw in triage was another parent from our gym so sent for X-ray otherwise I think we would have been told the same as you. She did go to gym that week but didn't do much and then we were closed for 2 weeks went back in the new year as normal it took her about 10 days to stop complaining about it hurting her.
My biggest problem came from her school who refused to have her in school without crutches! I mean seriously lol ended up getting some off amazon

Did you go to a&e?

When I took dd with a finger injury, they also said they don't normally x-Ray. However because she was a gymnast they did, mainly for ongoing management.

If it had been broken it would have been a specified time off to allow the bone to heal. No break meant she could return to training straight away, but be guided by her pain, so not to do anything that was painful.

i also *dont* give painkillers. They have been shown to hinder healing (the inflammatory response is there for a reason, and is part of the healing process). Same for ice. I also don't want painkillers masking the problem, so she does more on it and slows the healing. If she can feel it she can stop if it becomes painful.

Yup. Buddy tape. My DD did the exact same thing in the fall. We did have it xrayed because my mom works for an orthopedist so why not... They gave her a boot to wear but I don't think she NEEDED it. It probably just protected it at school ect. She missed one day and went right back practice and competed 6 weeks 6 days later. Good luck!!!!

Our gym would not allow my dd to miss anytime due to injury. It would be lots of conditioning for her. Which is what she needs anyway. It's getting to move up time. So it couldn't hurt

Well, good news of sorts. We left DD have a sofa day yesterday, minimal walking, just to get some rest to see if that would help the pain levels. And by last night, she could walk for about 10 meters before feeling any pain (though it was sore after that!)

The top of her foot is still a little swollen, so once that swelling goes down, she may be ok. Fingers crossed!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back