Coaches What's up with these grips?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

twisting007bigflip

Coach
Proud Parent
I coached two kids tonight that this is happening to. They say their grips feel good and that they have a good grip on the bar and everything is normal. I haven't told them that it concerns me, but....it does....

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1373334389.521050.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1373334416.670871.jpg
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1373334209.501598.jpg

The kids are telling me that this doesn't bother them, but if you look at the pictures, you can see that her little finger isn't able to touch the bar. These kids have been swinging bars with grips for 2 years. These particular grips are new grips (about 3 months old) and the girls haven't complained one time and claim to love them, but...I'm just not sure that they fit.

When you look at the palm of their hands when they have the grips on, they don't look too wide, they look like they fit. But then when they swing, the grips slide sideways and their little finger ends up on the leather.

Have them try pulling it tighter around their wrist. Often, kids leave them too loose, and then when they swing, the grips slip to the side.

Ok. I didn't get to work with this group tonight, but I did mention it to their regular coach. I had the girls tighten the wrist buckles and that seemed to help a little, but not entirely. I suppose it isn't impossible that the grips are too long, BUT when we sized them again tonight according to the guide from the manufacturer, their measurement is
6 1/8" which is size 2...and then, according to the guide inside the package they come in, the grips are almost too short??? It says to position the grips on the wrist where the kid would wear them and buckle them. At this point, the length of the grip should come within 1/8 of an inch of the tip of the middle finger, but should not extend past the tip of the middle finger. If I size the kids this way, the grips are too short - the end of the grip is touching just above the crease where their top finger joint is...more like 1/2 an inch from the tip of their finger. I don't know. These are level 6/7 optional kids. They say their grips feel good and that this isn't a problem for them...I'm just not warm and cozy knowing that their grips are this way when they swing giants. I just keep imagining some scary stuff happening. Do I trust the size chart? Or do I make the parents but smaller grips?? I have never had an issue sizing kids for grips, ever, and neither has the coach that sized the kids for these particular grips. I don't get it.

How wide is the leather?
Some brands have much wider leather than others. One I can think of is Reisport. With narrow hands that can be a problem.
However I would try to tell the kids to turn the grips inwards at the wrist more than they normally would. Then see how many skills they can do before the grips slip back into that position.

I don't have anyone on my team wearing a size 2. Size one or smaller, I also don't have any tall girls either.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back