WAG Wrist switch in back giant

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
When I hit the top of my giant, my wrists and hands are still underneath the bar.

What can I do to fix it? Could this be a reason why I have trouble hitting handstand?

Work your tap with more energy and follow through (with energy) into a deeper set of shoulder and hip angles. The idea is to give you some momentum to work with and make it easier to flip your wrists.

What do you do with your wrists on other skills that circle backward...... like clear hips and toe circles?

Work your tap with more energy and follow through (with energy) into a deeper set of shoulder and hip angles. The idea is to give you some momentum to work with and make it easier to flip your wrists.

What do you do with your wrists on other skills that circle backward...... like clear hips and toe circles?

I don't know what a toe circle is, but I believe I flip my wrists correctly in clear hips! I also tend to do a tiny cast before my giant (hardly horizontal) if I don't kip cast HS before the giant, which may be a reason why my tap doesn't have enough energy?

My giant as a whole is A LOT better when I kip HS before it.

When I hit the top of my giant, my wrists and hands are still underneath the bar.

What can I do to fix it? Could this be a reason why I have trouble hitting handstand?

BaldingGuy and anyone else that read my other post in giants. this is why and where you would have the athlete do baby giant to clear hip support> immediate clear hip to 3/4 handstand or handstand.

to answer your question, AllChalkedUp, yes, this is why you can't hit a handstand. practice baby giant to clear hip support>clear hip to handstand or near handstand. if you don't learn to shift your hands between the 2 skills, then it will take you forever to figure it out just doing a giant.

additionally, you can also practice 3 clear hips in a row hitting clear support on each one. this is an easier drill that teaches the same thing...wrist shift! :)

BaldingGuy and anyone else that read my other post in giants. this is why and where you would have the athlete do baby giant to clear hip support> immediate clear hip to 3/4 handstand or handstand.

to answer your question, AllChalkedUp, yes, this is why you can't hit a handstand. practice baby giant to clear hip support>clear hip to handstand or near handstand. if you don't learn to shift your hands between the 2 skills, then it will take you forever to figure it out just doing a giant.

additionally, you can also practice 3 clear hips in a row hitting clear support on each one. this is an easier drill that teaches the same thing...wrist shift! :)
Great! Thank you. Not sure if I understand the baby giant to clear support to clear hip drill. Is this just baby giant>clear hip? An I supposed to begin a clear hip as I pass over top of the bar? Sorry for the stupid question!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back