5'11 gymnasts and 5'1 coach

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

:confused: I have a 5'11 beginner gymnast (she's 10 yrs old!) that is trying to learn a front punch. The 1st two attempts have ended in her knees cracking her in the head bc she won't pull up. Now she's scared. Any advice?

Dive rolls getting progressively higher onto a mat stack until she's less afraid & will try to punch front onto it?

yep...volleyball.:)

Quite productive :p

As above, dive rolls will help a ton! In particular, work on doing an elevated dive roll that ends in a "tucked" candle stick, so she feels the rotation and height of the skill.

Also, the good ole fashioned front flop will help (front layout to their back).

And, I have lots of fun with it anyway, hand spotting... bigger does not always mean unspottable.. If she is strong and using her muscles how she is supposed to be, the spot should be easy. This means, hand spot after doing dive roll progressions.

i would stick to dive rolls up- that is one tall gymnast-no matter how big the coach is! I wouldnt do front tucks with a beginner gymnast no matter the size however..

height shouldn't really matteer, as long as the spotter is strong enough and nows what shes/he is doing. I am about the same height as my my coach, an weigh about 10 pounds more (haha thats a bit embarrasing, but true) an she still spots me just fine

guys and gals...pay attention. it's not just that she's 5'11". she is only 10 years old. her body is not going to be stable enough at this age to do something like a front flip. and not without getting hurt.

volleyball, basketball or swimming would be best suited for this child. basic fundamentals of gymnastics would be good for her coordination. basic as in 'on the ground' stuff...not leaving the ground and somersaulting.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back