advice for standing back handspring with bad form

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mindygym

Coach
Gymnast
I'm an adult gymnast training for a level 6 compulsory meet in 2 weeks and my standing back handspring on floor is just ugly. My round off back handspring is still strong, but the standing back handspring is so hard now that I haven't been training for a couple years. Basically I can't do it without bending my arms and it's slow and looks like I'm putting a lot of effort into it. I'm not sure how to fix it. I've tried jumping higher and undercutting and that helps a little but my arms are still bending. I'm not sure if it's a matter of technique or strength. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Please post a video of your BHS.

Work handstands, handstands, handstand. LOTS of handstand work. This will help the strength issue considerably. Along with that i would work it of a springboard, or a tumble track until you refine the movement. There is no magic here, bent arms on impact could be 2 things 1- Lack of strength, 2, Slow turnover. To fix the turnover you need practice the movement until it is refined (along with your conditioning regiment), and if you are able to generate a good push and turnover, but still bend, well then it can only be lack of strength in the shoulder girdle, shoulder joint, and elbows. These areas can easily be targeted by doing Handstand holds, walks, blocks, you name it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back