Parents Are warm ups and bags usually required?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I thought leo prices were bad until I was chatting with a friend who's dd is a competitive swimmer. He pays $400 for a swimsuit that lasts for 1 (YES ONE!!!) swim meet. After that, it has lost its "sheen" and a bit of elasticity and it is no longer used for competitive meets.

This kid swims year round. Now, this parent is a bit of a blowhard, so it is possible he is exaggerating to some extent, but even if she wears it to a few meets, he is likely spending $2000+ per year on swimsuits.

I don't know about that. I would assume pro and Olympic swimmers wear new tech suits for huge meets like the Olympics, but I think he was probably exaggerating. Also tech suits aren't used in every level of swimming meets.

I agree. My dd is a competitive swimmer (and former gymnast). The tech suits only come into the picture once your kid starts qualifying for higher level meets or is 11yo+ (ridiculous to pay $$$ for these if they are just starting out or are very young) and they aren't used for every meet. only the big championships (at most there could be 3-4 per season) and you can usually get a few meets out of them. They cost about $150+. We'll probably have to buy one for the summer championships this year now that DD is getting there.

That being said, I think once your kid gets serious about any sport, it's going to cost $$$$ (maybe not as much as gym, hockey, or competitive dance). Once DD starts going to swim practice 5 days a week next fall, the cost will rival gym. For soccer in our area, travel soccer starts out relatively cheap (younger DS currently on U9 team)-- about $250 for registration for fall and winter, uniform fees (including jerseys, shorts, socks, bag, sweatshirt) about $150, and winter indoor fees about $150. Fast forward 3-4 years and now your kid is rostered on 2 teams (town travel and private premier league) and costs start to skyrocket (lacrosse and basketball are similar). Obviously hockey is even pricier. Competitive dance (I've heard through friends) is absurd with the costumes, warm ups, tuition, choreography, and privates.

@raenndrops that sounds like awesome savings, but it seems that the "all groups use same leo" preference is combined with going about 4 years with the same leotard. I'm still not sure I'm sold on it being a cost savings for gyms that replace team leos more frequently, though.

To add to my original post in this thread, the leos we've purchased have all been on the less expensive side of things (closer to $100 than $200). Even when looking at the most expensive versions, they're under $200. Maybe that skews my perspective?
Our most expensive leotard was $125... But that was the one that the rep knew was going to be a "special order" the next season and actually discontinued 16 months after we ordered them. The 2nd year, people had to pay $160. We were lucky that HC had the issue of having an extra leotard and 2 new girls and OG growing at the same time.
The rep had sized all the girls that first year in regular sizers... Not mystique, which we all know fits differently. She sized YG as a CM. We had her try on the CL sizer and the rep convinced HC that it would be way too big. If team leotards would have been nylon or even velvet, I would have agreed, but I knew a CM mystique leotard wouldn't last 2 seasons. I was right. The last few meets, we struggled to get her into the leotard and had to peel it off her at the end of the meets.
The last time she wore it, she had it on for 30 minutes (small "mock" meet with about 6 girls). I still had to peel it off her because she couldn't get it off. We borrowed one from an injured gymnast for the final meet. The borrowed one was AXS and fit fine. If we had gotten the CL the first time, she would have been fine.
The leotard before the expensive one was $80.
Our leotard after the expensive one was $85.
The current leotard was $90. It is 3/4 sleeve whereas all the others were long sleeve.

We see no need to get a new design if the current one is still available. We appreciate the cost savings - especially for the families with more than one on team (6 families this year... and as many as 8-9 next season).

My dd's leotard (level 1), and all the levels, are so sparkly I call them the Electric Leos. Because even when they stand still, it looks like they are wearing twinkle lights. I know some people think the bling is totally unnecessary for little girls on low levels, but I think it makes it special. Being on the team IS special, even at Level 1, so I'm okay with it.

Not like it hasnt been covered, but yes, expected expenses and they do need those.
At our gym, the bag is "optional" but everyone has it.
We stagger, use the leo design for 2-3yrs and the same with the warmups but we try to not do a completely new one for BOTH any given year. We do have a "uniform swap day" after everyone is sized properly to try to keep costs down is at all possible. Compulsories, Xcel and Optionals have different leos.
As far as dance costumes.... whoever said they have never paid more than $40 for a costume got off dirt cheap. ;) I have never paid less than $100 for any dance costume that I was forced to purchase (I am also a seamstress so when possible, I make the costume and obviously save money doing that, but sometimes costumes fees are inevitable). Competition costumes are minimum $125, and we are in a VERY reasonably priced area. I have several friends in a more metropolitan area who pay much, much more. :) Solo costumes generally run $200-700... i always make DDs, but not everyone can do that. And you better believe that we also have mandatory warmups and bags in dance, and they are actually pricier than the gym ones..! ;)

I thought leo prices were bad until I was chatting with a friend who's dd is a competitive swimmer. He pays $400 for a swimsuit that lasts for 1 (YES ONE!!!) swim meet. After that, it has lost its "sheen" and a bit of elasticity and it is no longer used for competitive meets.

This kid swims year round. Now, this parent is a bit of a blowhard, so it is possible he is exaggerating to some extent, but even if she wears it to a few meets, he is likely spending $2000+ per year on swimsuits.

This is the truth. I have a child who swims competitively, and the tech suits are several hundred dollars and can only be used a few times (1-3). That said, these (at least in our club) are only used for "big" meets- think regionals. it goes on right before swimming and off right after. You have to be REALLY careful to not nick or tear the fabric too. I laugh with my husband and we joke that those suits even the cost out a little bit between the two sports!

My dd's leotard (level 1), and all the levels, are so sparkly I call them the Electric Leos. Because even when they stand still, it looks like they are wearing twinkle lights. I know some people think the bling is totally unnecessary for little girls on low levels, but I think it makes it special. Being on the team IS special, even at Level 1, so I'm okay with it.
I'm pretty sure our optionals will be getting new leos this year, and they are definitely looking for sparkly!!

Yes, they are required for us, but we use them for several years. Honestly, I'd rather $180 for a leo that will be worn 20+ times than a dance costume that will be used once (we used to do dance). Our bags and warm-ups also get lots of use.

My DD switched to ice skating. I look back nostalgically on gymnastics days.

She is on a synchronized skating team as well as competing freestyle. The Synchro team requires matching warmups ($80) bags ($50), and performance dress and practice dress ($500), matching hair, accessories, makeup, tights, and undergarments!

4 competitions ( all travel, minimum 3 hours away, and practice ice is the day before competition so at least 1 hotel stay per competition) .

Now I'm sorry I started listing it....

She is on a synchronized skating team as well as competing freestyle. The Synchro team requires matching warmups ($80) bags ($50), and performance dress and practice dress ($500), matching hair, accessories, makeup, tights, and undergarments!

4 competitions ( all travel, minimum 3 hours away, and practice ice is the day before competition so at least 1 hotel stay per competition) .

You forgot the skates;)

I was a figure skater who also did synchro...I can't believe my mom forked over the amounts she did, and our team would take at least one trip a year that would be a flight away, and a hotel stay for almost a week.
I was one spoiled kid :p

ps - our team girls, regardless of level or whether they are JO or Excel wear the ***same leo***. it makes for an impressive team photo come photo day. our boy's team is the same way. all levels have the same uniform. i also don't know of any team around here (MA) that doesn't have one team leo for all.
I'm in MA and our gym has different leos for Xcel and JO. The Xcel leos are actually more sparkly than ours. Both leos are the same colors though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back