WAG Back extension on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
DD's coaches want her to include a back extension-BHS combination on beam and DD began working them yesterday. She is having fun because she likes working skills she doesn't see a whole lot. However, in the mean time, she is tearing the heck out of her skin on her upper back in the center.

Is there anything I can do to help protect that area? DD isn't complaining but I can see the abrasion and can't comprehend how she can't feel it. I can't see how she is going to be able to obsessively work this skill (and she will because she is very close to getting the extension) without bleeding by next Wednesday. Would a thin piece of gauze and tape do any good without interrupting the feel for her? Or does she just need to build up a "back callous"? LOL

I don't want to bother our coach with this because she is getting a TON of parental flack over move ups right now so I'd rather just stay out of their way and leave our poor dear coach alone about the little stuff.

As I looked in the other post to see what the skill was for I noticed someone said the girls use sting mats. Maybe that might help? Or maybe KT tape as barrier (its flexible tape). It does look like a cool skill and so far I have not seen it at any of the competitions my dd has gone to.

I'll look for the tape. DD doesn't like using mats on the beam for skills she almost has because she says they "mess with" the feel of the beam for her. I just wasn't sure if it would be a good or bad decision to put something back there for some cushion.

She came home last night very excited about the skill and instantly went to YouTube. She found a video of a little girl named Sarah McKay that does the skill and then saw a progression where Sarah does a handstand, straddle down to back extension. It does look really neat.

I was trying to imagine the skill.... I've not seen a back extension on beam. That is a cool sequence in the video.... Glad your daughter is having fun with it!

I watched a video on Youtube and there was a girl doing back extension rolls on beam. She was wearing a long sleeved tight t-shirt over her leotard. Maybe you could ask the coach if your daughter could wear one when she is learning this particular skill?

A little of topic, but I have been considering to make one of my gymnasts start learning this skill. She can't do back walkover because the pain in her back and doesn't have a back handspring step out (fear issue). She needs a backward skill for her beam routine. The problem is I have never taught back extension on beam and I'm not sure if it's hard or easy skill to teach and learn. This gymnast is 14 years old and has a straight armed back extension on floor. Any advice or tips? We have a foam beam so I was thinking about making her work on it on foam beam first.

Yes, I too noticed the shirt and at first I thought maybe she was wearing it to protect her back. But then I noticed the two girls in the background were also wearing shorts and t shirts so I think that maybe that is just what they wear. However, I do think I will ask DD what she would think about that.

As far as teaching it, I am only qualified to tell you what I saw. Coach started DD on the low beam, no pads and started by having her do candlestick rolls. Then DD started pushing up to handstand from candlesticks with coach yanking her up by the ankles. The next step was the whole skill with coach yanking ankles. At that point, I left to run an errand but when I got back, DD was up on high beam doing the skill so I can't say what took place to get her up to high beam. However, I was only gone about 15 minutes so they couldn't have done much.

You said your gymnast was 14. I don't know your physical limitations as far as height or strength. DD was spotted by our smallest coach (maybe 5'2 and can't weigh more than 125 pounds) but DD is also small (4' and 50 pounds). The coach didn't seem to have any issues with grabbing DD's ankles with enough force to pull her off the low beam.

As far as easy versus hard....that feels very subjective. The part that DD is inconsistent with is the the entry into the back roll. When she doesn't make the skill, it is because she rolls right off the beam.

'Would a thin piece of gauze and tape do any good without interrupting the feel for her?'
Yep, that has worked fine on occassion. After time it will get better, and then it won't be needed. Glad she is motivated! :)

For skills like that, I often find that just letting the gymnast out on a teeshirt while they learn makes a huge difference.

We also keep carpet squares in the gym. They are literally the sample carpets you get at a flooring store, about the size of a door mat. For my girls working back extensions, we sometimes throw one of those over the beam right where there shoulders/back will hit,. It's thinner than a full sting mat,

I think I'll try a combination of t shirt and gauze/tape. Earlier this year she was messing around with them at home but was wearing regular clothes and didn't have any problems. Of course, she wasn't doing the repetition at home like she will do at the gym.

No advice, just wanted to compliment a very unique combination of skills. I love to see new stuff. Very cool!

Yes, I too noticed the shirt and at first I thought maybe she was wearing it to protect her back. But then I noticed the two girls in the background were also wearing shorts and t shirts so I think that maybe that is just what they wear. However, I do think I will ask DD what she would think about that.

I think I'll try a combination of t shirt and gauze/tape. Earlier this year she was messing around with them at home but was wearing regular clothes and didn't have any problems

The t-shirt works, but there's something better. First thing is understanding that the abrasions are being caused by her leotard sliding against her skin. Adding a layer transfers a portion of the shifting to the outer layer (t-shirt), which chafes against the inner layer which hardly moves at all.

I gave up long ago on mats and pads for this skill, but still let the kids try using them so they get frustrated with the setting up, the shifting of the sting mat as they roll though their middle back, and beam pads that shift slightly from side to side. What works better than a t-shirt is a lycra leotard and a sweatshirt that's two to four sizes smaller than they'd normally wear. It should fit snug enough that cutting the sleeves off and turning into a tank top sweat shirt leaves the waist band between the hips and bottom rib.

That's what made it easier for my kids when working this series.

About the gauze tape. I'd forget about it because the outer surface of the tape is going to grab onto the shifting leotard and pull on the skin while the leotard pulls on it. I haven't thought about the tape under a leotard with a sweat shirt outer layer, so maybe that would work, but don't be surprised if your dd decides it takes too long to run off and have a team mate (never a popular thing with the coach) put a bunch of tape on her back.

Good info! My daughter is working towards this skill/combo as well. But she complains if the back pain from it. Will have to try the sweatshirt tank top trick.

That's interesting about the Leo. I has assumed the abrasion was from the texture on the beam but on second thought you are spot on about the abrasion being just above the seam of her Leo.

Thank you for the sweatshirt suggestion. Off to find a hoarding friend who might have one.....

Sent from my LGL55C using ChalkBucket mobile app

My LIttle Pony gives you magical beam skills.

Really....... Here I am training My Little Mermaid for next season to dominate beam (world wide mind you), and now you tell me My Little Pony would give her a competitive edge. I line her up as a junior adjunct assistant coach.... like yesterday because MLM is having a hard time getting 180 on her full turning switch leap.....:eek: :D

Wow, I thought that a back extension roll would look awkward on beam, but that is way cool!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back