back tuck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I've been working back tucks on floor and I REALLY want to get one for high school next year. But my coaches never let me try it myself. They say there's always something wrong with it, and it feels fine to me. That coach who spots me too much, whenever I do a back tuck and don't get enough power so I don't actually throw it, I can feel how hard she's grabbing me and the spotting is really what messes me up because it gets in the way. I could probably do a perfect one if no one spotted me. The truth is, I'm willing to risk breaking my neck and never doing gymnastics again if I could just try it myself. It looks really good on the trampoline. Speaking of the trampoline, I was too scared to do a back tuck on tumble track last year because they replaced the old mat behind it with a really hard mat. I was so excited to go to igc so I could do them into the pit, but my floor coach was really picky and he wouldn't let me do a back tuck off a TRAMPOLINE, into the PIT, just because my feet went a little to the side or something! He even said, "I don't think you'll get to back tucks this week." I had done them a million times before they got that hard mat! I think I was messing up because he spotted everyone too much, too! He grabbed you so much, he even had to jump into the pit with you! I was ready to cry. So as you can see, no one is really fair to me about back tucks, when really the spotting is messing me up. Any advice? Thanks!

It's your coaches' JOB to spot you and teach you a correct back tuck (and if you're doing all the work, no one is going to fall into the pit with you. Even if you and your coach are the same time, their feet will stay firmly planted as you go sailing over their heads). My advice to you is to do what they say instead of blaming your current inability to do a skill on them.

It's not about 'fair'. It's about safety and correct technique. Coaches are supposed to be picky, & we are supposed to look out for our gymnasts' safety no matter how irritated they get about it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back