Bars - split to handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

TeamDad

What's the difference between doing a split to handstand or just going into a handstand? I've noticed that most, if not all, other girls do a split to a handstand while dd just goes straight up to a handstand with legs together. I asked her what the difference is and she said that it's just the way she learned it. Just curious why most girls would learn the split to handstand and why some would not. Thanks

Hi TeamDad,

I don`t know for sure, but according to Bean (ever resourceful 10 year old) the straddle cast to handstand is easier to do as it provides more momentum. Last year Bean and another little powerhouse were the only 2 (of roughly 25 at her gym) who did a leg together cast handstand. This year she`s the only one as the other girl retired.

Hopefully someone who`s more in the know can provide more info, for both of us;)

Straddle cast handstands are easier; the length of the lever is shortened and thus requires less force to rotate. However, I've heard that straddle cast handstands are being devalued to an A, while a regular cast handstand remains a B in levels 8+. In L7, a straddle cast handstand will still count as a B. I'm not 100% that's correct, but I'm sure someone here knows. Anyway, to answer your question, straddle casts take less brute strength but because their technique segments the body, they can seem to disrupt the flow of a routine. Before the value change it was all a matter of preference, now it may be safer to learn a straight body cast if possible.

I learned a regular cast handstand(I thought it was easier) but when i moved to my new gym they wanted to teach me the stradle up to handstand. Its really just a prefrence and how she was tought it. I, however can do both.

A straddle cast and a straight body cast are worth the same, although they probably shouldn't be. Another thing to point out is that for weaker bars swingers, straight body casts often get more form deductions than straddle casts-- you'll see a lot of girls arch up or bend their knees to get up with a "straight" body.

In the FIG code, straddle is an 'A' regular is a 'B'. I have no idea on the JO code value/rules. At one point the rules permitted only one straddle cast per routine. That appears to be gone. I think all gymnasts with hopes of going elite are probably working the regular cast. The straddle cast is a lot easier for most gymnasts (Tweeters explained why), hence why you see more of them.

My gymmie does a straddle cast and those are the ones you see more than not in optional bar routines. I think she was just taught to do it that way and never really learned to do a straight body to handstand although know I think she could handle it. I also see the reason for doing them as going straight hs cast could bring in more deductions on form unless you are really tight and strong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back