Parents Beam dismount?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rapunzel

Proud Parent
Dd1 has been working on a front walkover off our footstool at home (which i try to stop her doing, as I dont like her doing that sort of thing at home) and at gym last night she did it off the beam - so she goes into a handstand at the end of the beam, arches over and lands on her feet. Is this a real dismount move? And if so what's it called?

I could imagine done like that it's actually pretty difficult- add in the height of the beam and stopping the forward rotation when the feet hit the floor could be tricky. Forward it's a blind landing where you can't see the floor or where you are going to put your feet.

It's more commonly done as a half or quarter turn I think- kick into handstand, then turn to face the beam and land.

She'd been doing it at home & when I picked dd2 up at the midway point dd1 had to show me and did her new trick off the full height beam. It was by no means perfect, messy legs and she hoped forward on the landing but I think with practice she'll tidy it up - or perhaps move into the turn you mention.

Bad for her back.

Tell her to stop the walkover off the stool, and provide some sort of consequence if she continues to do them...... or an incentive not to do them.

The dismount....... I wouldn't have kids doing it because of the potential for them to remain arched as they land.

Thanks iwannacoach, I'll make her stop that one then! I haven't caught her doing it today. I'll tell her it's bad for her back, which should deter her.

She just tried to move the poof again so I stopped her and she listened to me! I told her what she couldn't do at home because I don't know how to correct her and I don't want her to hurt herself but said she could carry on with the handstands and conditioning exercises like plank, leg raises etc. and she seems happy with that but wants me to do planks with her.

We have girls on our team who compete a FHS dismount on Beam ... and others who do a Round Off dismount. The FHS is not so arched as a FWO dismount (and safer too, imho).

Dd1 has been working on a front walkover off our footstool at home (which i try to stop her doing, as I dont like her doing that sort of thing at home) and at gym last night she did it off the beam - so she goes into a handstand at the end of the beam, arches over and lands on her feet. Is this a real dismount move? And if so what's it called?

Take away the footstool...I've never seen anyone arch over a handstand ( on purpose) as a beam dismount so this move is going nowhere and is just an unnecessary risk for injury..

Take away the footstool...I've never seen anyone arch over a handstand ( on purpose) as a beam dismount so this move is going nowhere and is just an unnecessary risk for injury..

I actually just saw this dismount for the first time at xcel meets. There were quite a few girls doing it, actually looked cute... :) No idea what they call it though.

I actually just saw this dismount for the first time at xcel meets. There were quite a few girls doing it, actually looked cute... :) No idea what they call it though.
It is SUPPOSED to be a front handspring dismount... we have a few doing it in our gym. My OG competed it a few times last year, but also has a RO dismount and is working a FT or BT dismount depending on the day, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back