Best fast food pre meet meal

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

momof5

Proud Parent
Ok so DD has only one local meet this year and so we will be on the road a lot. Fast food will definatley be coming into play before meets. I worry about the grease just sitting at the bottom of her stomach before a meet. What are some good choices for pre meet fast food meals (or a good as I can get at a fast food resturant)?

We go for a whole grain bagel with cream cheese and a fruit yogourt parfait at Tim Hortons, don't know that you have those though.

Starbucks have oatmeal pots that are really yummy, that with a banana (they sell those too) would be great.

An egg McMuffin wouldn't be terrible, as it does have protein, carbs, dairy etc, but it might be a bit fat laden.

I would avoid high sugar stuff, as that will give her a big high, followed by a big low! Save the sugary treats until after the meet.

I usually pack home made trail mix and peanut butter wraps in her bag too, so she can chow down when she gets the urge.

My daughter craves protein on meet days. Subway is a good choice. Also, grilled chicken from any number of places. Breakfast burritos are good if you stick to egg and a bit of cheese and not the super-greasy sausage or bacon that most have.

Panera, Subway, and Quiznos are all pretty good options when you are on the road, but all of them do have some not so great things on the menu. Just make sure your DD knows her limitations, maybe pick out a few things ahead of time to provide her with what she needs to get through the meet successfully and let her know that she needs to choose from those options. McDonald's has a new oatmeal dish that I've heard is pretty tasty, I'm not familiar with the nutritional information though.
I know getting out the door to meets can be hectic, but you can also think about packing a few snacks just in case you can't find someplace with something decent on the menu or are running behind and don't have time to stop. Things like a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter or fruit can be good and can last without a fridge or a place to heat them up. Things like trail mix (be careful about the ingredients though) can also be good for a pre-meet or in the gym bag snack just in case.

My daughter eats mashed potatoes, steak and asparagus before every meet...no matter what time...requires some creativity!!

Chick-fila is a good option. DD likes the grilled chicken sandwhich and a fruit cup.

I wouldn't take/eat any peanut butter, it is a common allergy (I have it myself) and some people can get very,very sick just by smelling it or touching it (Such as myself again). It make get on your daughter's hands and on to the apparatus. Hummus is very good alternitive, and very healthy!

I wouldn't take/eat any peanut butter, it is a common allergy (I have it myself) and some people can get very,very sick just by smelling it or touching it (Such as myself again). It make get on your daughter's hands and on to the apparatus. Hummus is very good alternitive, and very healthy!
Thanks for mentioning that, gymgirl, that didn't even cross my mind. It still might be an okay in the car snack, provided she cleans her hands really well after eating, but a lot of people are allergic. That can be an issue with trail mixes, granola bars, so many things!

Not a problem. My coaches/parents/teamates are all super paranoid, so I figured I would mention it. And I forgot to mention, there's this stuff called "Free-Nut Butter". It's made of soy and tastes like the real thing, only healthier, organic and lower in sugar and fat!

There is also Nut-Less Butter made from hemp seed. I've never tried it, but I've had jam made from hemp and it's very good. It might be another option for gymmies who have nut allergies or are on teams with strict food guidelines due to allergies.

You could go to Panearas, Subway, Quizznos, or you could get a sald from Wendys or the fruit and Walnut salad from McDonalds!

A couple other lighter items from McDonalds...their chicken snack wraps. You can get them with grilled chicken & request no sauce. Also, their fruit & yogurt parfaits. My daughter's "lucky" pre-meet snack is apples and peanut butter. I always keep a pack of baby wipes in the car, so she can clean up.

My daughter eats mashed potatoes, steak and asparagus before every meet...no matter what time...requires some creativity!!

Where on earth do you find this at 6am on a Sunday morning??? LOL! I think I need to move countries as that would be an awesome BF. I think I am lucky if I can find coffee.

If you are staying at hotels coose ones with breakfast included they usually have some good options we also look for rooms that have some type of kitchen like Residence Inns so we can just cook what we want. If not then for breakfasts usually any Dunkin Donuts will have beagles, muffins etc. Along with those egg crosant sandwiches etc. My DD likes these and they aren't too heavy. I have a hard time getting DD to eat anything for an early AM meets no matter where we go if she thinks its too heavy in her stomach. Its usually a banana or some type of fruit and maybe toast or a muffin. Alot of times I will get Lunchables with the crackers, cheese, bologna (or other meat) a fruit drink and a small desert. For lunch and dinner options we will look for Arby's she loves their roast beef sandwiches. My dd usually won't eat the fastfood items like burgers etc. but if she had to eat at one other than arbys it would be wendy's she loves their salads and baked potatos. At Mc D's she will get the "real" chicken strips not the nuggets with a small salad. She doesn' like subs so quiznos and those are out. and she hated panara bread's bread except for the sweets so she will pull the meat from the sandwich and just eat that. Won't do soup. She does like "Boston Market" which isn't as greasy as most fast food and seems to be more like real food but I think they are only in New England.

Souper Salads is an all-you-can-to-eat soup and salad bar restaurant. They are located across the southern and western United States. They have lots of healthy choices including chopped egg, cubed turkey, green salad, cheese, cottage cheese, fresh veggies, soups, and fresh fruit. These restuarants are inexpensive and very good.

I just need to say that this thread has me wanting Panera Bread and there is not one for hundreds of miles out here. I didn't get to go while I was at home for Christmas so now I need to wait to get my fix!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back