WAG COACHES- Boys or Girls....what is the best gift???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

munchkin3

Proud Parent
It is that time of year where us parents and families can give something to the coaches who work so tirelessly with our children. You work all week, travel to meets, deal with their nonsense.....You get them to do AMAZING things when I cant even get them to pick up their room!!LOL

What do you like to receive? PLEASE don't be humble and say anything......
A bottle of wine? A scarf? A gift card? or just good old CASH?

I will preface this by saying I don't expect gifts from my kids, it's a nice gesture, but not a necessity. And while there are some things I like more than others, I do appreciate the gesture, even if it is something I will never use. That being said, I really appreciate personal things, just something that shows they put some thought into it and that they made an effort to know who I am as a person. I spend a ton of time with their kids and love getting to know them as people- who they are, what they like, what they're good at outside of the gym- it's nice to know that the parents see that and try to do the same on some level. Even if it's something simple and inexpensive- a card, a picture, a drawing.
Last year I received a gift certificate but it was super general (could be used at a number of restaurants) and really could have been given to anyone. I used it, got some good food I didn't cook or pay for, so no complaints, but not super memorable either. Though it was a step up from the year we got movie tickets and a restaurant gift card- I got a single movie ticket and the restaurant of choice was a super obscure Italian place that might be nice for a coach with a spouse or significant other, but not a place I would go as a single person for a meal out by myself or with friends. I never used it and felt bad. I'm also not much of a movie watcher. But they were discounted at Costco.
One of my kiddos made a picture album for me at the end of last season which was very sweet and a favorite of mine- pictures of the team and one of me and the girl on the front. Probably one of my all time favorites.

#1 on my list are gift certificates - I do get them quite often from my gymnasts and I can always put them to good use. I prefer gift cards for the local mall or Amazon to ones for specific stores. I also like getting gift cards to a nice breakfast place or restaurant.
#2 would be sth. like tea or coffee combined with a nice (maybe even personal) cup - of course you'd have to know the coach's tea or coffee habits. ;-)

Personal gifts are tricky. I've received picture frames but I have a small apartment and I don't wanna put up my gymnasts when I don't even have the space to put up my parents. ;-) Picture albums are a really sweet idea though. I've gotten one one time and I wouldn't mind getting more.

Not a coach. But no coach or teacher, has ever returned cash/general gift card. It has never been the wrong size, flavor, interfered with diet, a personal program or medical issue.

It is always accompanied by a nice handwritten and personal thank you.......

I am thinking cash.......lets be real, who would not like to receive a $100?.....Not from one person (although that would be nice) but from a group.....
If everyone give 10 bucks to pool, the coach could get a decent little bonus.....something I'm sure he/she would appreciate.
Me dd will still make the card and the personal touch gift.....actually my dd felt wine was appropriate for those tough training days! LOL

Not a coach. But no coach or teacher, has ever returned cash/general gift card. It has never been the wrong size, flavor, interfered with diet, a personal program or medical issue.

It is always accompanied by a nice handwritten and personal thank you.......
I think the handwritten/personal note is the big thing here, at least for me. Gift cards are great, provided some thought was put into the type and included is something personal- a note, something the gymnast has made, etc. And it's not too hard to find out what coaches like- coffee, tea, wine, sweets, books, movies, etc.- so you can at least get a thoughtful gift card. I just feel like that's the way to go if giving gift cards, rather than just grabbing whatever is offered for a discount at Costco.

Something personal from the child is always a winner. A picture of the athlete & I at a competition, a picture of the team signed by the girls, a hand written card. One year when I suggested something personal to the booster club president they had all the girls sign a team photo and had it made in to a blanket, although I'm no longer at that gym the blanket is still on my bed!

I love a note from the kids, but I have to say my favorite gift is a gift card: coffee, a department store, Amazon, local lunch place. I'm a student as well, so these are always greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!! I think we will take a cash collection and try and give each coach a decent cash present, AND they will get plenty of gift cards here and there.....I plan to give them each a gift card and my gymmie will make them a card......happy holidays everyone!!!!

I just got asked to go in a gift with my daughter's new training group. $40 each. Ouch.

On my own, I would have probably spent $20. Last year, I didn't even do Christmas gifts, I bought a gorgeous mum for HC at Thanksgiving instead with a thank you letter.

I hate things like this. I mean, I only spend $50 on my closest family members.

I'm going to cough it up, but I'll be prepared next year with "Aw darn, I already got them something."

Its not that they aren't deserving, we're just on a tighter budget than most others in our gym.

PS: Sorry about throwing my slightly off topic gripe in here. I never did answer the original question. Gift cards do indeed seem to be the most popular. They're kinda boring but always safe. Coming up with a unique delivery method can be a fun thing, though. Such as attaching them to a cool Christmas ornament, cute pair of socks, pair of earrings, box of seasonal candy or something like that. That's what I do for teachers and any others to whom I give gift cards.

I just got asked to go in a gift with my daughter's new training group. $40 each. Ouch.

On my own, I would have probably spent $20. Last year, I didn't even do Christmas gifts, I bought a gorgeous mum for HC at Thanksgiving instead with a thank you letter.

I hate things like this. I mean, I only spend $50 on my closest family members.

I'm going to cough it up, but I'll be prepared next year with "Aw darn, I already got them something."

(Its not that they aren't deserving, we're just on a tighter budget than most others in our gym.)
WHAT?! How many coaches is that buying for? Maybe if it's getting gifts for 3-4 coaches I could understand. I would guess my girls are asked to chip in around $10-$12 each to be split between 2 coaches. As a coach, I would hate to know families were being asked to chip in that much. I think your planned $20 is beyond generous.

I get gifts from the gymnasts I coach AND also buy gifts for my daughter's other coaches, so I will give you my perspective.

I do love the personal gifts and seriously have saved handmade ornaments from gymnasts I coached when I was in college (the angel on top of my Christmas tree was made for me by a gymnast in 1992). A family card with a nice note also makes the top of the list. I've gotten cash in an envelope with a card that wasn't even signed (seemed kind of cold), and I've received cash that came with a funny poem that the gymnast wrote suggesting how I might spend it (very memorable). I like getting gift cards to restaurants that are right around the corner from the gym, because that's where I grab a quick bite when I'm coaching on a long day. Even if it's not my favorite restaurant, they come in handy. I can't really use all the lotions and other stuff I receive from Bed Bath and Body because I generally get a lifetime supply of lotion and candles from my gymnasts each and every year, lol.

For my daughter's coaches, I try to get something personal. For one it was a funny t-shirt that was funny to that coach because of a personal memory/moment they had with my daughter. Another was always cold at the gym, so we got her matching leg warmers and slim gloves in her favorite color to wear while coaching. One was having back issues so we got her a gift certificate to get a massage. When I can't think of anything personal, I have gone with a bottle of wine and/or a food gift.

Honestly, any gift is great when the child had something to do with it. I've had kids hand me an envelope/bag who have no idea what's even in it. When I comment about how much I appreciate it, they respond by shrugging their shoulders and making a comment about how their mom told them to give it to me because that's what they always give their coaches/teachers. So whatever it is you go with, include your child in the process :)

$40 is steep especially this time of year. But $20 for 3 coaches is much more reasonable.......many people will make the gift IT.....and putting everyone's $20 together means a nice wad for the 3 coaches....
Would a coach prefer this rather than going out and getting a $10 or $20 gift for each coach......a pile of $10 gifts, or cash? Maybe I'm just too practical......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back