Parents Competitive Gymnastics tuition costs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I pay for our 6 year old grandson's pre-team program. I pay $250 US dollars per month for 4 hours of training per week.

Thanks for the analysis! Did you switch gyms for financial reasons? Are you happier with the new gym?
Partly financial partly looking for a different fit. I love the smaller gym we are currently going to. It has been the right move for our family for sure.

My DD trained in Canada for 7 years, left at Level 6, training for 18hrs at $450/mo canadian.

I think it will depend on where u are located. Tho we are in a big city, but not metropolitan like Toronto. It gets pretty pricey when you are in a bigger metropolitan. Our gym produces eastern, national athletes. And I always appreciate how fair they charge.

We do a lot of fundraising to help cover the cost.

Hey gang,

I’m in Canada and for our boy who’s been invited to our gym’s MAG Developmental Program (Compulsory), for a total of 4-6 hours a week, it costs about 400$ a month in tuition ( like 290 USD ).

i personally find it super expensive but, he likes the sport and assuming he progresses, was wondering if one, our gym is charging a high price for only those hours (he’s only 5 too), and two, how much has your gym charged for your kids tuition as they’ve progressed in gymnastics with same or more hours. I’d like to know what were getting into in case DS sticks with it for a bit lol.

Thanks gym community!
Also in Canada - my daughter currently trains 12 hours a week and we pay $340 a month, in addition we pay competition fees, and various other fees throughout the year (fundraising fees, admin fees). I added it up and for the whole year not including comp fees we pay like $5500 and change..... which is a lot but she loves it and thankfully her dad and I split it. I have three other children - one was in competitive cheer (also expensive) until an injury meant she had to stop and one is a competitive soccer player, the other isn't into sports but is a competitive chess player - so we've spent a fortune over the years on sports - we do sacrifice to make it happen but it's worth it- it keeps them active, it helps team them time management and team work and it's created a whole group of friends for them and me. I know her fees will increase as her training hours do so I'm trying to already work it into my monthly budget and I can always do some side gig work if needed. :)

WAG level 5, 12 hours a week, $340 a month (Australian), so about $230 US, $310 CAD?
Plus comp fees are from about $100 to $1000+ depending if we have to travel (because we split the cost for the coaches time and travel too).
Though most are around the $100 mark, and there is usually only 3 - the interstate ones are optional.
The tracksuit/comp leo/training leo/backpack all up was around $600 or so too. Luckily we've just been able to swap it for a larger size as she's grown mostly. Plus consumables (chalk, gloves, bar loops, grips).

Only a drop compared to the figure skating costs (both of mine do this too, only one does competitive gym) with coaching fees about $60 an hour (our coach is on the cheaper end too), rink entry around $20 each time, and boots costing $500 plus every year (though we get 2nd hand which helps).

But a lot compared to the cost for junior roller derby (my youngest does this). $45 a year for insurance and $15 for a 1.5 hour training session once a week (though she could go twice). Plus skates I guess which can get expensive but at least the rest is cheap!

Level 3 Team Urban PNW
$345 a month 12 practice hours a week
$310 a month toward clinics, guest judges, coach fees at meets, meet registration, holiday party and gift, end of season banquet, annual practice leo, and whatever else. (We used to have a booster but moved the gym handling it directly)

Competition leo and warmups are out of pocket every second year. I don’t have the final price yet for the new set this year but “deposit” was $500.

WAG level 5, 12 hours a week, $340 a month (Australian), so about $230 US, $310 CAD?
Plus comp fees are from about $100 to $1000+ depending if we have to travel (because we split the cost for the coaches time and travel too).
Though most are around the $100 mark, and there is usually only 3 - the interstate ones are optional.
The tracksuit/comp leo/training leo/backpack all up was around $600 or so too. Luckily we've just been able to swap it for a larger size as she's grown mostly. Plus consumables (chalk, gloves, bar loops, grips).

Only a drop compared to the figure skating costs (both of mine do this too, only one does competitive gym) with coaching fees about $60 an hour (our coach is on the cheaper end too), rink entry around $20 each time, and boots costing $500 plus every year (though we get 2nd hand which helps).

But a lot compared to the cost for junior roller derby (my youngest does this). $45 a year for insurance and $15 for a 1.5 hour training session once a week (though she could go twice). Plus skates I guess which can get expensive but at least the rest is cheap!
Oh wow! Was always interested in the price of figure skating. My friend pays over 10k a year for hockey for her daughter and she mostly says it’s due to to “ice time”. Does that apply to figure skating too? Especially since its just one kid and not 20 other kids?

Also in Canada - my daughter currently trains 12 hours a week and we pay $340 a month, in addition we pay competition fees, and various other fees throughout the year (fundraising fees, admin fees). I added it up and for the whole year not including comp fees we pay like $5500 and change..... which is a lot but she loves it and thankfully her dad and I split it. I have three other children - one was in competitive cheer (also expensive) until an injury meant she had to stop and one is a competitive soccer player, the other isn't into sports but is a competitive chess player - so we've spent a fortune over the years on sports - we do sacrifice to make it happen but it's worth it- it keeps them active, it helps team them time management and team work and it's created a whole group of friends for them and me. I know her fees will increase as her training hours do so I'm trying to already work it into my monthly budget and I can always do some side gig work if needed. :)
Thanks for sharing! This sport looks like it takes a lot of sacrifices for families. Glad to get a glimpse of what were getting into.

Thanks!

Hey gang,

I’m in Canada and for our boy who’s been invited to our gym’s MAG Developmental Program (Compulsory), for a total of 4-6 hours a week, it costs about 400$ a month in tuition ( like 290 USD ).

i personally find it super expensive but, he likes the sport and assuming he progresses, was wondering if one, our gym is charging a high price for only those hours (he’s only 5 too), and two, how much has your gym charged for your kids tuition as they’ve progressed in gymnastics with same or more hours. I’d like to know what were getting into in case DS sticks with it for a bit lol.

Thanks gym community!
We’re paying about AUD$360/month for 16 hours/week. Our squads train 47 weeks/year. My converter says that’s about CAD$330.
At our gym, for 4hrs/wk, 47 weeks/yr would be about $143/month.

We’re paying about AUD$360/month for 16 hours/week. Our squads train 47 weeks/year. My converter says that’s about CAD$330.
At our gym, for 4hrs/wk, 47 weeks/yr would be about $143/month.

I need a gym that charges Aussie prices but not in Aussie lol

Thanks for all the replies, y'all are great! Hopefully other parents can get an idea of sport tuition as well.

Follow up questions:

- Is it common for gym families to sacrifice some lifestyle decisions to afford the sport? Ex: Vacations, eating out, bills, etc?

- Would you consider gymnastics to be lower/upper Middle-Class friendly?

- Are you expecting anything to come out of the sport? Scholarships, National Team, etc?

Cheers
Its about $400/month for 12 hours per week (USD), plus uniform cost, and meet fees (which includes coaches' expenses) of around $2000 for the year.

It is definitely common to sacrifice some lifestyle decisions to afford the sport. In our case, working second jobs, cutting cable, extra money pays for gym instead of bigger vacations/travel. However, I also know some of our families who are much more well-off than ours who don't seem to need to sacrifice as much.

Gymnastics is not lower middle-class friendly. Its expensive. Understandably so, in many ways--very specialized coaching and equipment needed, and high insurance costs. But in a sport (and I'm speaking to men's gymnastics in this generalization) that needs MORE boys, it is a major hurdle to increasing participation in the sport.

Am I EXPECTING anything as far as scholarships or National Team? No, because I've been involved in coaching women's gymnastics for nearly 2/3 of my life and know that things can change in a split second. Injuries, puberty, social lives, changes in interest, etc. But I'll support my son as long as he's invested in it. We've got him in a program with coaches who have proven they can get kids to the highest levels. He has shown some natural ability and potential in the sport. He doesn't complain about going to practice or about anything about the sport, really. If that ever changes, then we make different decisions.

Its about $400/month for 12 hours per week (USD), plus uniform cost, and meet fees (which includes coaches' expenses) of around $2000 for the year.

It is definitely common to sacrifice some lifestyle decisions to afford the sport. In our case, working second jobs, cutting cable, extra money pays for gym instead of bigger vacations/travel. However, I also know some of our families who are much more well-off than ours who don't seem to need to sacrifice as much.

Gymnastics is not lower middle-class friendly. Its expensive. Understandably so, in many ways--very specialized coaching and equipment needed, and high insurance costs. But in a sport (and I'm speaking to men's gymnastics in this generalization) that needs MORE boys, it is a major hurdle to increasing participation in the sport.

Am I EXPECTING anything as far as scholarships or National Team? No, because I've been involved in coaching women's gymnastics for nearly 2/3 of my life and know that things can change in a split second. Injuries, puberty, social lives, changes in interest, etc. But I'll support my son as long as he's invested in it. We've got him in a program with coaches who have proven they can get kids to the highest levels. He has shown some natural ability and potential in the sport. He doesn't complain about going to practice or about anything about the sport, really. If that ever changes, then we make different decisions.
Wow thank you for that!

As an avid fan of Men's Gymnastics, I agree, boys would benefit a lot from the sport and it's a shame that it's never even considered for most families to enrol their boys in gymnastics.

I like what you said about scholarships and such and I completely agree. I asked because with some sports where tuition can easily run up to 10k a year, a lot of parents excuse the cash as an investment towards college or going pro. I grew up in the hockey world so I've been around lots of parents like that, and was wondering if it's common w/ gymnastics.

This thread, despite the costs, has encouraged to make the jump to team and we're currently in a trial period to see how he likes it. So far, he likes the facts that there's no girls in his practices lol.

Thanks for being honest about the sacrifices stuff too. I definitely see myself as the type to get a side-gig if it's too let my kid do what they love. Seeing others in the thread do the same, in some way, Is what I consider the sport 'middle-class' friendly. Not the fact that it's necessary to do it, but that some families do it, period.

UK: seven-year-old in the WAG development squad, six hours a week, £166 (US$214, CAN$293) a month. Which at £6.90 an hour is cheaper than most childcare options... Extra costs include competition entry fees and competition leotard (£95, and of course she keeps on growing), and some of the world's most expensive petrol to drive her 30 minutes in each direction twice a week.

“Thanks for being honest about the sacrifices stuff too. I definitely see myself as the type to get a side-gig if it's too let my kid do what they love. Seeing others in the thread do the same, in some way, Is what I consider the sport 'middle-class' friendly. Not the fact that it's necessary to do it, but that some families do it, period.”
I work the front desk at our gym a couple days a week to offset the bill somewhat. The general manger is lovely to work for and I like being a little on the inside if what’s happening at the gym.

Oh wow! Was always interested in the price of figure skating. My friend pays over 10k a year for hockey for her daughter and she mostly says it’s due to to “ice time”. Does that apply to figure skating too? Especially since its just one kid and not 20 other kids?
Yes, if you want to hire out the rink for yourself it would be a lot, our old rink (1/4 olympic size) was around $200 per hour. But that closed down. The new one we go to I have no idea - but a 1 hour figure skating session (early morning and limited numbers) is $20 for an hour. Mainly my kids train in public sessions ($20 for all day) but they spend a fair bit of time dodging other people and it can get pretty busy sometimes. But to practice routines properly you do need the ice to yourself sometimes! Coaches fees are on top of that of course.

This breakdown of costs is fairly accurate IMO. Our personal breakdown isn’t exactly the same as she has listed in this chart, but we’re definitely close to $30k/year all in.

*image taken from this post

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpeg
    IMG_1441.jpeg
    239.8 KB · Views: 11
We do 6 hours a week for $320 for Xcel gold (it's the most affordable gym within 90 minutes but it is in an expensive area). About $900-$1000 in meet fees (not including travel). $80 backpack, $160 jacket (it's hideous too, no rhinestones or anything), $80 leggings, $260 leotard with sleeves and a small amount of rhinestones so about $580. The total cost for one season would be $5400 (not including coach fees, travel, etc)

This is not gymnastics related, but out of all of your kids sports, which one was the most expensive? My DS really likes soccer too so not impossible that we may venture into that one. Chess is also a pretty impressive extra-curricular wow! I wanna do that myself haha

Ah the question I always wanted to ask and would love to know within my city….
We are a single income, homeschooling household and receive heavy financial assistance for gymnastics from family who are passionately supportive of my daughters gifts. We are working to increase income to cover more as well as the increase in cost as levels increase.
$300ish per month for 12 hour weeks. Dues which amounted to an additional $500 monthly for a few months. I cannot fathom how other families are paying for this and other kids sports on their own. Fundraisers are credited towards dues. Selling things no one wants to buy.
We came from another gym that was more affordable but the quality was seriously lacking.
Did you know that Rebecca Andrade, the Brazilian Olympian, had a single mother of 8 kids who worked as a maid and they practically never paid for training because of scholarships including leaving home as a child to train full time in another city? Scholarships for kids will never happen in America. I hope we are able to get my daughter as far as she needs in this sport but it is stressful.

Just for comparison, it is way cheaper in our country (Europe). Our competitive team pays 65€ per month (training ranges from 9 to 15 hours depending on the level, but they pay all the same, also prior to competitions there are some Saturday trainings but the cost remains the same).
At the beginning of the year there is an extra "inscription" fee that goes to the insurance (this for all levels)+competition license+fee for the two main competitions of the year (1 local+ 1 regional meet). That's around 150-200 €. Then travel/other competitions fees. Coaches are paid for they meet hours by the club (money that comes from tuitions) and only when the meet requires to travel with the athletes the coaches costs are then divided and added to the cost of the travel for the girls.
Our gym has also let some talented kids pay less money if they couldn't afford the whole thing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back