Compulsory Floor Routines

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I am from Canada, so I am just curious about splits being included in the floor routines for L4, L5, and L6. Our club is going to the US for a meet next year and lots of our girls that will be compulsory levels, don't have splits all the way down, some aren't even close.
What about those girls that are very unflexible? What do they do in their floor routine?
Thanks

If your club is serious about taking their girls to the US to do compulsory routines they need to spend a huge amount of time looking at routines on youube. The detail is important, and the splits is a tiny part of that. Most Canadian clubs only take their optional, as is P3 and up, gymnasts to the US as it is impossible to train the routines well enough to score well.

Thanks, I am P3 and am competing L7 or L8 but lots of our club that is P1 and P2 is going. I was just curious as to what they would do. And our club serious about going, we have fundraised of $30, 000 so far and trying to fundraise all the girls and coaches trip. My coach has ordered stuff for choreography of those routines and all the information about them.

Girls who don't have their splits just slide down as far as they can go. There's probably a deduction for lack of split, and maybe another tenth if the turn to get out of it is awkward, which it probably would be if they aren't all the way down.

My only other suggestion is for the coach to look for a meet that has preop optional as well as USAG levels. P1 isn't even L3, and many meets do not have that level as it is not USAG sanctioned. I really cannot imagine spending all that time learning compulsory routines for one meet, a real waste of time. WHen clubs from Quebec got the the US, the inly take girls who can compete L7 and up.

We have looked at doing prep op meets in the US and I think they are great for our girls as they can just adapt their routines. THose compulsory routines are all about the detail.

My only other suggestion is for the coach to look for a meet that has preop optional as well as USAG levels. P1 isn't even L3, and many meets do not have that level as it is not USAG sanctioned. I really cannot imagine spending all that time learning compulsory routines for one meet, a real waste of time. WHen clubs from Quebec got the the US, the inly take girls who can compete L7 and up.

We have looked at doing prep op meets in the US and I think they are great for our girls as they can just adapt their routines. THose compulsory routines are all about the detail.

I think this is the best suggestion. Most of the big invitationals are starting to have PO sessions. Rules vary a little by state, but tend to be pretty flexible level wise. More invites have PO sessions then have L2/3 sessions. To compete in L4 they'll need RO BHS, and in L5 kips on both bars.

Well after watching the L4 routines, all of our p1s could do most of the routines with a little work. Most have or are close to RO BHS on floor, all have the same vault. They have more than needed on beam. Its just bars were they will struggle with the front hip circle, and mill circle.
I agree its a waste of time to learn the compulsory routines for one meet, but for us to go its more of an experience than an intense competition. And for girls that compete L7 and up there are like 5 or 6 of us, so its not really worth it.
For competiting Pre Op. we cant because we already have chosen a meet, and its all worked out pretty much. I'm just glad I will be optional.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back