Conditioning w/ a Grade 2 sprained ankle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Last night I hurt my ankle while doing a backtuck dismount off beam. My foot got stuck inbetween two mats and rolled. My coach thought it was broken when he saw it but after the pain wore off after icing it I could move it back and forth and didn't hurt to point it but it did when i pulled it back.
This morning I couldn't put pressure on it and had to go to the doctor.
No break but I Grade 2 sprained ankle.
I have to go to physical therapy and wear a boot for a while though I don't know how long.
I want to know some conditioning I can do without making my ankle hurt.
As well as what can I do to strengthen my ankle

This article includes suggested treatments and exercises to use during rehabilitation:

Management of Ankle Sprains - January 1, 2001 - American Family Physician

Since the best predictor of an ankle injury is a previous ankle injury, and you will be at increased risk for another sprain for the next year (and because about half of recurrent ankle sprains result in disability or chronic pain), you should be interested in this article, which discusses how to mimimize your chance for reinjury by using an exercise program at home:

Help patients prevent repeat ankle injury — The Journal of Family Practice

There's more in this Chalk Bucket thread:

http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/skills-drills-forum/24814-ankle-strengthing-drills.html

Good luck.

You may be able to regular standing squats in the air or wall sits. I'm pretty sure rolling back to candle and squatting or squatting on a single leg won't be an option.

For now, I'd stick with wall sits or air squats. You should be able to do partner leg curls though I'm not sure if you could do floor glute hams due to the boot. You may be able to work glute bridge slides with feet in a frisbee or on a swiss ball.

You should be able to do anything else as far as conditioning goes besides the obvious running and jumping but be careful of landing from rope climbs or coming down off a bar for pullups/leglifts.

When you get your boot off you can work ankle stuff such as wobble/balance board and tons of heel and toe raises. Perhaps even working ankle walks on the inner and outside of the foot for stability.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back