Confidence while Competing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
How can I be confident while competing? I get so nervous during floor and beam (my two weaker events- vault and bars aren't usually a problem) and it drives me nuts since they're quite strong in practice.

It may be an experience thing- I have only competed one year and I'm just beginning my third year in gymnastics. We have been doing routines under pressure at gym and they have been going okay.

What can I do to be more confident while competing?

I'm not a gymnast and never have been, but when I've been in high pressure situations (earlier in sports, later in things like job interviews), I always found the use of calming breathing techniques to be effective. They work pretty well for my daughter as well. The simplest one is taking a slow deep breath in, holding it for five seconds, and then letting it out slowly. Repeat 2-3 times and focus on slowing your heart rate. You can also envision yourself breathing in confidence and breathing out anxiety. But gaining experience should help a lot too!

Also remind yourself that your job is to go out and do the best routine that you can at that moment, in that meet. It will go as it goes. Any meet is just a meet, one out of many you will have in your life. The important thing is what you take from your experiences, and you should always try to find something good or useful to take from the experience, whether it's good or bad.

Just don't sweat it. Tell yourself that you're going to go out there and have fun, and do the best you can do. Try not to get so serious about it that it's not fun anymore.

Unfortunatly it takes experience and time to get use to it. Just like any other thing you do in front of people. Like everything else it will come eventually. Just keep telling your self you can do this and you will. My DD has been doing this since she was 6yo, she is 14 yo now and she still gets nervous too but she says it helps her and gives her that extra boost to push her self harder.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back