curious about the correlation between centre splits and frog splits

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bobby

I've noticed that my elder DD can't do frog splits (with knees bent) even though she can do centre splits all the way (not oversplits though).
My younger DD's knees are flat on the floor in frog splits even though she can't do centre splits (well I don't think she can based on when she does have a crack at copying big sis).
I'm just curious. Is that very common?? Does it matter? Any special reason elder DD should focus on improving her frog splits?

It's when you sit down, with the soles of your feet pressed together drawn all the way in towards yourself, and you push your knees to the floor. They also practise this position whilst lying on their stomachs.

I don't think it matters to be able to do one, but the "frog split" as you call it also involves all of the ligaments and tendons in the knee. The knee is not much of a factor in a regular split.

I was never required to do these in gymnastics, so I tried it just now to get a feel for what's going on. Frog splits HURT my knees, it's not even a pulling sensation, just pain. They pull harder on the hip flexor and the rotation of the hip in the socket feels more forward than center if that makes any sense. I didn't feel it at all in my hamstrings. I could see this being useful in creating better extension, but the knee pain is a killer for me. You can create the same extension over a longer period of time by oversplitting center splits without as much knee stress. Frog splits are popular in dance for aiding in turnout, but it was never required while I was in it. Since gymnasts do not have the same turnout req's as a dancer, I wouldn't worry about being all the way down if center splits aren't an issue.

This is purely going off feeling, I didn't google for a technical explanation but I'm sure there is one!

Bit off Topic, sorry, but I think its so interesting to hear what things are called in different clubs! We call the stretch described as 'butterflies'. We also do 'froggy sit' where a gymnast lies on their stomach and bends both knees up and out to the side so that their knees are in a straight line with their bottoms - Just box splits with bent legs I guess!

In ballet we do frog splits on your stomach to work turn-out and open up the hip. Frog splits are usually done to also help stretch a center split. When sitting up with feet together and knees pressed down to floor we call a butterfly. I feel like this stretches the groin and inner thigh.

I could always do a butterfly stretch with my knees down to the floor, but never a good frog split or center split... I don't have good natural turn-out of my hips (always really bothered me in ballet). I've never been asked to do a frog split in gymnastics.

oh, I see... for the one where you are sitting on your bottom, we call it butterfly as well, the one where you are on your stomach (the froggy splits), we call cinnamon. When we do the froggy splits, though, we make sure our feet are pointing straight back (perpendicular to our hips to knees) so they don't hurt our knees. They hurt my knees when I try to put my feet together in this stretch.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back