WAG DD is interested in following Elite path...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@Clover, thank you. She is so committed and she works very hard. She has come a very long way.

As far as if the gym uses TOPs to go the elite path, I don't know. I just know they have about 7 girls on TOPs at the gym. I don't know what their intentions are for her for the next season. I've chatted w/ her coach about where she's at now. But he wants her to finish the season where she's at (not thrilled about it, but respecting his decision). I just hope for the next season, she's not in the xcel program. My dd did tell me they learned a different bar routine. I asked her was it a Gold or L4 bar routine. Lol! I feel guilty asking, but not really. :oops: I really don't feel like she belongs in Xcel anything.

I would get out of xcel since more often than not your best coaches are coaching the jo groups.

I've been places that this wasn't the case but that was bc these were jo girls competing xcel for particular reasons.

If she wants elite, I think she needs to get out of xcel and into JO.

Did you have a video posted earlier? I thought I watched some of your daughter but didnt' have time to respond before. Don't see the video now??

Not all gyms have their girls go to TOPS but still have Elite/Olympians.

Your coaches need to have the ability to train an Elite path gymnast.

Does your gym have girls who have gone to Regionals/East/Westerns/Nationals? If they have the ability to coach girls to that level then that's a good sign.

I think you said your daughter is 9 or 10. It's a long road and I think it's good to have a goal but also good to enjoy the moment. A LOT can happen between Level 4/5 and Level 10 or Elite (teen life/HS and boys, among other things)

so if she has the drive now, get her in a place where she can learn and perform. If that gym isn't the right place, find one that will help her get to where she hopes to be.

Good luck!

Thanks for this. You're not the only one who's asked me why she's competing Xcel Silver. And I have to explain the story to soooo many people :(

Are you saying/suggesting she take a dance class? And yes, he did. I will msg you.

A ballet class would only help her if you can find one that is technique focused enough. It's definitely an important component to training. I recommend classical ballet.

@shelovestoflip I agree w/ her needing to get out of Xcel. However, her coach has already stated that she's going to finish the season where she's at. So I'll wait until the season is over to see what happens.

I have a youtube link, which is probably how/where you saw her vids.

There is an elite gymnast at our gym already. So the ability is there. And Regionals, yes. The Elite gymnast at our gym was at the P&G Championships last year. I don't know what that is. So I take that as a good sign.

She's 9. But I agree w/ the rest. Def enjoying the moment. And I think where we're at is a good spot. But I'm new to the gym so at least that I know of, it's a great spot to be. We'll see what happens as she progresses. Thanks for the feedback!

@shelovestoflip Let me correct myself. I know what the P&G Championships are as far as what I saw on the TV. But I don't know if that's a Nationals competition or not. I assume it is, but I could be wrong. And I don't know what an East/West is. I don't think our gym does that. But again, I've only been w/ the gym not even a year. So I could be wrong :)

@shelovestoflip Let me correct myself. I know what the P&G Championships are as far as what I saw on the TV. But I don't know if that's a Nationals competition or not. I assume it is, but I could be wrong. And I don't know what an East/West is. I don't think our gym does that. But again, I've only been w/ the gym not even a year. So I could be wrong :)

You said your gym had someone go to Championships but you don't think they do Easterns or Westerns....how many upper level optionals are there (who would go to Easterns/Westerns[L9] and JO Nationals[L10]) in your gym? I would ask about the existing JO program to see what's already in place and how they've done. I would think a gym with a TOPS program on one end and an "elite training" gymnast on the other would have a decent JO program but you never know, so that's what I'd ask about to make sure the foundation is there..

The gym you are at is a very good gym with a history of having top level girls I'm almost positive. NorthStars and GA Allstars also have Elite and TOPS; but I'd think you should be fine where you are.

Just as a note to this thread, her daughter has the skills strongly for level 4 including straight arm kip cast. She had never competed before so I assume that is why they placed her at Xcel silver but her skill level is much higher than silver. She can also do a back tuck so I would say she is about average age for her skills now, not really on the older side. Under 10 for level 4/5 is fairly young, but she would want to get more serious training in dance and form now.

Did the director/head coach ever reply to you? I thought I remembered you had emailed them.
See @VaultbeastMom, I'm not the only one who thinks this... and now, with her in the beginning of training Front Layouts - WOW! He REALLY, REALLY needs to let her score out of L4 so she can compete L5 / L6 next season (after she scores a 31+ @ L5, she can go back and forth between the regimented L5 and the OPTIONAL L6 (to prevent boredom)... or just go right into L7 once she has all the skills for that :)

I would get out of xcel since more often than not your best coaches are coaching the jo groups.

I've been places that this wasn't the case but that was bc these were jo girls competing xcel for particular reasons.
At our gym, the Xcel girls are coached by the same coaches as the JO girls. We are a team. L6+ and Xcel all practice together...
but she does need to get her daughter into JO... just because she is ready... could easily score out of L4 and L5 and go into L6. With uptraining, she could be in L7 by next winter (at 10 years old).
Her floor routine has some of the L4 moves in it, so it should be easy to learn both the L4 and L5 routines.

Yeah at my gym Xcel and levels aren't coached the same at all. There is movement between the two at the lower levels of both. We have relatively high standards but the conditioning is not quite the same by necessity and a 9 yr old with a straight arm kip wouldn't be there so there's really no issue with that. Region 8 Xcel does seem a bit different, like more gyms go in and out of it for girls they intend to continue in the level system with.

I know which gym she's at but have been out of real 24/365 coaching for so long that I can't speak to anything but generalities and offer my impressions.

The gym has a definite history of bringing kids up through level 10 and has produced a minimum of one genuine article of an elite gymnast. That's something that cannot happen by accident or good fortune, so I'd say it's safe to assume the gym's team coaches know what they're doing and are motivated to move kids as quickly as they feel is in each child's best interests.

My inclination as an elite and national level literate (well at least a long time ago) coach would be to leave her there and leave it all to the coaches with respect to training and level placement. You'll diminish their view of your daughter's collective potential by asking questions to which you cannot understand the answers because......

.......coaches with the ability to get a kid to elite nationals want to focus their energy on the kids they train, and every question a parent asks about training criteria, strategy, and competition level gives them something to question about you. Are you going to follow where where your child leads them, will you support them when your child has a bad week, or month, or struggles with a key skill?

They need to feel comfortable that you'll trust them enough to leave every coaching matter to them, and that you'll reassure your child they have her best (gymnastics) interests at heart. I guess I'm trying to say that you can't bless them one moment with the support that's necessary to train an elite, and at the next moment ask questions that leave them wondering if they can satisfy your needs, allay your child's frustrations, assess her potential for the long term, and train her for both the future and present.

Your child has obvious talent that can be seen from as far away as you tube. I'm sure they've (coaches) seen it too, and are anxious to see how far will grow under their guidance...... it's what every ambitious coach lives for, and I can't be persuaded to believe that there ever existed an elite level coach who didn't have plenty ambition.

Oh, and no she's not missed the happy train to elite land by age default. That entire issue is way over rated. True, you can't train a kid to the elite level if they walk in with zero experience as a 12 year old, but I've seen some amazing things from a few kids who got a late start and didn't get seriously coached until they were way past 9 years old.

Age is just a teensy part of the formula. Natural ability is a small requirement, grace and athleticism are important, but conceptually speaking, those four elements pale in comparison to the need for a girl to believe she's an elite five years before she gets there, and to work as if every practice and every choice made is a contribution to that effort...... and to do so with nothing less than complete enthusiasm and love for what she's doing, the way she's doing it, and total trust and respect for the adults surrounding her with their support.

In a practical sense, it's the kids who decide if they're elite material. All the coaches do is to go wherever that rare child leads them....... if you know what I mean.

I completely agree with Iwannacoach. The kid has to want it.

However. I've watched your youtube links (and please, please, stop her doing RO BT in your house, that's and accident waiting to happen, and she is learning awful form). Here, in the UK, I doubt she would find a coach to take her to elite.

That's not to say she can't make elite, but she is going to have to commit 100% every practice, put in more than everyone else, and battle with coaches who, as you say, "are not wowed" by your DD.

As a comparison- this is where an 8/9 year old (2005 born) future elite would be expected to be here. Although I have said there are many things wrong with the UK system, and I think the JO scheme offers more opportunity to those who mature into their form later.

My DD also wanted elite- she's the same age, and very like your DD, strong, powerful and fearless. She ended up leaving gymnastics as she wasn't getting where she wanted to be, but, as I have said, the UK system is very very different.

My inclination as an elite and national level literate (well at least a long time ago) coach would be to leave her there and leave it all to the coaches with respect to training and level placement. You'll diminish their view of your daughter's collective potential by asking questions to which you cannot understand the answers because......

.......coaches with the ability to get a kid to elite nationals want to focus their energy on the kids they train, and every question a parent asks about training criteria, strategy, and competition level gives them something to question about you. Are you going to follow where where your child leads them, will you support them when your child has a bad week, or month, or struggles with a key skill?

They need to feel comfortable that you'll trust them enough to leave every coaching matter to them, and that you'll reassure your child they have her best (gymnastics) interests at heart. I guess I'm trying to say that you can't bless them one moment with the support that's necessary to train an elite, and at the next moment ask questions that leave them wondering if they can satisfy your needs, allay your child's frustrations, assess her potential for the long term, and train her for both the future and present.

This.

If you have confidence in the coaches, leave them to it. They're not going to let a potential elite gymnast slip past them because they didn't feel like asking or pursuing it. It's a rarity; they won't ignore it, if it's in their own gym.

I can't quite work out from your posts how old your dd is. I think 10 this year and 2004 born? In which case she would need to be at least a level up from the girl in the clip Faith posted above to be on track here. How frustrating for you that she has such big dreams (don't they all!) and the moves seem to have disrupted her progress and chance to compete so it feels as though she's being held back.

How much longer does the season go on for? Have they given an indication that they will have her on the JO team for next season and what sort of level? I'm sure they must have given that some thought if they think she has potential and they can see she has ground to make up.

I would second a ballet class of some sort. Maybe the gym can recommend one? It would help her get her split jumps and leaps sorted out and get the toes pointed. I imagine under JO those things would be heavier deductions, so there's a chance to work on that in the meantime.

It sounds as though she's in the right place, with the right coaches/experience to get there. And as others have said, I can't imagine any coach holding back a potential elite from getting where she wants to go. That's not in their interests. Maybe they just need to see how she handles a season and how well she settles in the gym and how her support system works. So work with them and if she has it she will get there. Good luck.

@iwannacoach Wow! I had to read your post twice. It made me sit back and put myself in her coaches shoes, and re-evaluate things. I know that my dd has talent. I'm not one of those moms who believes she does because she's my dd. I've also heard it from several other people. And I love and appreciated her old coach, still to this day. But I didn't like how they ran things and still run things at that gym. They have kids repeat a level. And I think that's wrong if the kid has potential. My dd was L4 at the old gym. When USAG made the change, they were going to move my dd to L3 because of the change. But fortunately for us, we moved. I could've taken her to another gym, but she loved the gym. And I wanted to be patient and let them be a coach.

My point in all of this is I don't want my dd to be held back with the talent she possess. Nor do I want her to get to a point where she's bored, and throws in the towel. Even if she decides later that the elite path isn't for her, at least she was able to get through the levels because of her skills. And not because a coach/gym wants to have you repeating levels for their satisfaction, or so they can continue to be on top. Or just because. And I'm not saying my dd's current coach does that. Just speaking on what I've experienced.

A good gym and a talented gymnast is never enough.It has to be the right gym for the gymnast.

There's a lot of potential with this little girl.What a girl can do is rarely as important as to how she does it.

Either there's a huge communication brakedown and mom and coach are talking past each other.
Or this kid needs a coach that is willing to take a talented but"older"gymnast to her full potential.This kids full potential goes beyond Xcel.

Hi @Flossyduck. My dd is 9. She'll be 10 in September. As far as the kid in the vid @Faith posted, that isn't in the US, as you know. And I don't know if that kid has had any elite training. I also don't know how the training and standards there differ from here in the US. I'm sure they're not all the same. Like here in the US, for young kids w/ potential, they go through TOP's/HOPES/Elite (older kids). My dd hasn't had any of that. The gym we were at (a different state), they don't have that program at their gym. And not to say they were bad and didn't produce any quality athletes, because they have had some and still do. I don't think she was given a chance to gain that confidence and lose the fear to be able to want to try different skills. I watched her practice a lot, and only saw uptraining during the summer. We've been at our new gym since the summer of last year. And she's gained a TON of more skills since the move. They also up train A LOT at our gym.

I know the fact that she hadn't competed until recently has set her back. But hopefully after this meet season is over, she can get on the right path. She has the potential. I'm no coach. And can only speak on behalf of others. And at our gym, optionals and Xcel competition season runs from Dec - May (hers ends in April after state). Compulsory goes from Aug - Nov I believe. I've spoken to her coach about level placement only because of questions that were brought to me that I couldn't answer. So her coach was kind enough to talk to me. He did mention she could compete Xcel gold (the next level from where she's at), but his goal isn't to put her there. He's looking to put her in L4 or L5. That's the direction the conversation went. But none of us will know where our dd is going until the season is over. I'm hoping my dd will be able to score out of L4 and move straight to L5. We don't compete L6 at our gym. And I will look into the ballet class.

I'm glad that I did inquire about this. More so because I was able to assess the situation w/ my dd's coach and I, from some of the comments I've received. He may feel as if I don't trust his abilities as her coach. And that was never my intent. I just want the best for my dd, as all parents do. But I appreciate your feedback :)

@Faith Thanks for your honesty, and no disrespect, but she's not in the UK. So I'm not really concerned w/ that, as the standards there are different. I don't know the requirements that are needed for coaches eyes to be set on a potential gymnast for the elite route. Also, my dd has had some setbacks. She isn't on her team/level now because she lacks skills or is afraid of doing certain skills or whatever the Xcel program is for. We moved from one state to another state. And she was placed there because she hadn't competed. And we don't have a L3 at our gym. So that is where she had to be placed. Now that she's competed and they see what her potential is, they can reassess and go from there.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back