WAG DD is interested in following Elite path...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

myeyeson_u

Hi. So my dd aspires to be part of an elite team in the future. She's still in the beginning stages of gymnastics, but made it clear to me that she wants to become an elite gymnast. I read somewhere that athletes that are interested in following this path, should start early in their gymnastic career. I also saw that it would be best to go to a gym who trains and/or has an elite team. Can any coaches out there confirm or deny this? Also give me some suggestions. She's not in TOPS, and I know you have to be selected for that bunch. Should I wait until the compulsory stages of her gymnastics are about to end, then transition over? Or do it as soon as possible? I like the gym I'm at. And we have one elite gymnast at our gym. But we don't have an elite team.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

you don't need an elite "team". you need a coach that can coach at that level. sounds like you do as you state that you have "one elite gymnast at our gym". :)

so, if your daughter has the tools and what it takes, then possibly she'll be the '2nd elite at your gym'. :):)

I know you've said your DD is XCel silver and has only competed in two meets. I'm not sure how old she is. If she's on the older side, keep in mind that while anything can happen, it is a LONG road to make it even to the upper levels of optionals, never mind elite - especially if they're on the older side. I would say you're in a good place at your gym if they have an elite now. For now, my advice would be to relax and see how it goes. Your DD is still so very new to competition, and so many things can change their paths.

I would express interest that you can and would like to commit (since you came new to the gym and had never competed before, sometimes they aren't sure). You could ask the head coach to evaluate for TOPs. It depends on their standards. But google it with your gym name, I think they have done it recently, but it seems like a gym where you need all the requirements to test, most likely. I don't remember how old your daughter is, but TOPs only goes up to age 10. I know she is quite powerful and not fearful so for now I would focus on getting her into a more rigorous level and training. I'm rooting for her!

I know you've said your DD is XCel silver and has only competed in two meets. I'm not sure how old she is. If she's on the older side, keep in mind that while anything can happen, it is a LONG road to make it even to the upper levels of optionals, never mind elite - especially if they're on the older side. I would say you're in a good place at your gym if they have an elite now. For now, my advice would be to relax and see how it goes. Your DD is still so very new to competition, and so many things can change their paths.

She's 9. And I'm relaxed, very much so. But some kids have a passion to do gymnastics for many years to come. My dd practices 14 hours a week. She comes home after a three hour practice M-Th and F 2 hrs phys abilities class, and is still doing gymnastics stuff. She's always trying to learn new skills (aside from what they learn at the gym). She just has a passion for the sport.

you don't need an elite "team". you need a coach that can coach at that level. sounds like you do as you state that you have "one elite gymnast at our gym". :)

so, if your daughter has the tools and what it takes, then possibly she'll be the '2nd elite at your gym'. :):)

Well, there is a coach that trains/coaches the TOPS crew at our gym. And that elite gymnast is part of that group, though she isn't in the TOPS age bracket.

She's a bit on the older side for her level, but I suppose if she has the drive and the talent, and your gym regularly lets girls who have the skills skip levels, then it's possible! I guess you could have a chat with the coach about her potential and express an interest in going as far as possible...I would just be worried that if I mentioned "elite" I might come off as a CGM...that's just me though!!

Just as a note to this thread, her daughter has the skills strongly for level 4 including straight arm kip cast. She had never competed before so I assume that is why they placed her at Xcel silver but her skill level is much higher than silver. She can also do a back tuck so I would say she is about average age for her skills now, not really on the older side. Under 10 for level 4/5 is fairly young, but she would want to get more serious training in dance and form now.

Did the director/head coach ever reply to you? I thought I remembered you had emailed them.

She's a bit on the older side for her level, but I suppose if she has the drive and the talent, and your gym regularly lets girls who have the skills skip levels, then it's possible! I guess you could have a chat with the coach about her potential and express an interest in going as far as possible...I would just be worried that if I mentioned "elite" I might come off as a CGM...that's just me though!!

I agree she is. And in my opinion and from comments I've received from coaches that haven't worked w/ my dd and saw her vids, she should be competing L4 and L5. The coach placed on Xcel Silver because she'd never competed. Her old gym she was old L4. So I'm hoping she'll be placed in L5 when the season is over.

What is a CGM?

I would express interest that you can and would like to commit (since you came new to the gym and had never competed before, sometimes they aren't sure). You could ask the head coach to evaluate for TOPs. It depends on their standards. But google it with your gym name, I think they have done it recently, but it seems like a gym where you need all the requirements to test, most likely. I don't remember how old your daughter is, but TOPs only goes up to age 10. I know she is quite powerful and not fearful so for now I would focus on getting her into a more rigorous level and training. I'm rooting for her!

Her coach & I kind of bumped heads recently because of some questions I was asking him. More about her placement, kinda sorta. I felt & still feel that my dd is too skilled for the level she's in. I'm afraid she's going to get bored. But I want her to keep her confidence and experience the competition season w/ her team. So I do want to express interest and let them know I'm committed. But I'm waiting for things to cool down. He's stated many times that my dd is very talented and has natural talent. But I think that he thinks I'm not pleased w/ his coaching. And that isn't and has never been the case. I honestly feel like my dd is where she's at because of them. She's polished and disciplined, thanks to them. And she's 9. She turned
9 in September. He's asked her many times her age. And I've always wondered why he inquired that.

Just as a note to this thread, her daughter has the skills strongly for level 4 including straight arm kip cast. She had never competed before so I assume that is why they placed her at Xcel silver but her skill level is much higher than silver. She can also do a back tuck so I would say she is about average age for her skills now, not really on the older side. Under 10 for level 4/5 is fairly young, but she would want to get more serious training in dance and form now.

Did the director/head coach ever reply to you? I thought I remembered you had emailed them.

Thanks for this. You're not the only one who's asked me why she's competing Xcel Silver. And I have to explain the story to soooo many people :(

Are you saying/suggesting she take a dance class? And yes, he did. I will msg you.

Sounds like she's ready for more...I would try to mention that to the coach, but still would not mention elite. If there are coaches at her gym that coach elite, they will notice her potential.

CGM = Crazy Gym Mom ;)

I have such mixed feelings about questions like this. I am thankful my own DD doesn't seem to have elite aspirations, because they are not realistic for her. She does LOVE the idea of college gymnastics, and that appears to something that could be very doable for her, but we are just taking it year by year.

As parents, we want to tell our kids that they can do anything they set their mind to. We want to tell them that if they work hard and don't give up, anything is possible. While that sounds like a wonderful sentiment, it just isn't true, especially in sports- and especially in gymnastics! While there are many feel-good, come-from-behind success stories of scientists, athletes, politicians, authors, musicians etc, they are the exception. Most kids grow up to be regular folks, working a regular job, raising their average kids, and hopefully finding satisfaction, fulfillment, and joy in a "regular" life.

So, I guess as a parent I want my kids to shoot for the stars, but also find joy in the little things. I want them to pursue their dreams, but I also want them to be grounded and realistic. I want them to work hard, but realize that hard work doesn't always get you where you want to be. I want them to enjoy the work.

So, I guess my answer to your question would be- stay where you're at for now. The coaching sounds good. Your DD is loving gymnastics, enjoying success, and developing a passion that may or may not lead her to elite. Set smaller, achievable goals and work like crazy toward them, and celebrate like crazy when they are achieved! One thing I've noticed in talking to the parents of the level 10's at the gym is that none of them set out to "make it to 10" until L7 or L8. Before that they were just having fun and working hard. Enjoy the ride!

@happychaos

I don't think I ever mentioned on this thread that I was force feeding the elite idea to my dd. She had actually taken a hiatus from gymnastics because it got to be a bit overwhelming (beginning of 2012). I'm not one of those gym moms who make it an all or nothing kinda thing. It got to be a bit much, I listened and pulled her out. She watched the Olympics and that's what got her back in the gym. I did question her many times to make sure it's something she wanted to do, because it's a commitment. And I'm not the type of mom that is going to support you always quitting. I just don't feel you can be taken seriously in life if you're always quitting something. And she knows this sport will require a lot of her time. And she's ok w/ that. It's something she loves to do. She has high hopes and dreams. And yes, I tell her she has to work very hard. And if it's meant to be, it'll be. But I don't mind getting information along the way, if in the event she is still serious about following this path later down the line.

I agree she is. And in my opinion and from comments I've received from coaches that haven't worked w/ my dd and saw her vids, she should be competing L4 and L5. The coach placed on Xcel Silver because she'd never competed. Her old gym she was old L4. So I'm hoping she'll be placed in L5 when the season is over.

What is a CGM?
Crazy Gym(nastics) Mom

@happychaos

I don't think I ever mentioned on this thread that I was force feeding the elite idea to my dd. She had actually taken a hiatus from gymnastics because it got to be a bit overwhelming (beginning of 2012). I'm not one of those gym moms who make it an all or nothing kinda thing. It got to be a bit much, I listened and pulled her out. She watched the Olympics and that's what got her back in the gym. I did question her many times to make sure it's something she wanted to do, because it's a commitment. And I'm not the type of mom that is going to support you always quitting. I just don't feel you can be taken seriously in life if you're always quitting something. And she knows this sport will require a lot of her time. And she's ok w/ that. It's something she loves to do. She has high hopes and dreams. And yes, I tell her she has to work very hard. And if it's meant to be, it'll be. But I don't mind getting information along the way, if in the event she is still serious about following this path later down the line.

Wow...did you ever misread the intent of my post. Guess that's the problem with the internet. Sigh.

As parents, we want to tell our kids that they can do anything they set their mind to. We want to tell them that if they work hard and don't give up, anything is possible. While that sounds like a wonderful sentiment, it just isn't true, especially in sports- and especially in gymnastics! While there are many feel-good, come-from-behind success stories of scientists, athletes, politicians, authors, musicians etc, they are the exception. Most kids grow up to be regular folks, working a regular job, raising their average kids, and hopefully finding satisfaction, fulfillment, and joy in a "regular" life.

I get what you're saying, but I feel like my parents put a bit too much of the "be realistic" thing into me, and there are several aspects of my life where I could have achieved much more, but didn't because of that mindset. To be fair to my parents, they came from poor families in small, rural towns, so it was very much reality to them.

Do what you love, and do it with all you've got. Pursue your dreams, because you'll regret it if you don't.

That is great that your DD is so committed to gym and that you are such a supportive mom. Kudos for that!
I just wanted to comment on the TOPS piece. You indicated that there is a TOPS program at your gym and that the girls are selected for that. If that is the path that your gym uses for elite development (and there is lots of controversy as to whether or not that is the best way to Elite) then you may want to see if you can get your DD involved in it. For TOPS she is considered 10 years old and in her last year of eligibility. She would be testing this Summer on MUCH higher level skills than she is currently competing in addition to the physical skills that include 10 cast to handstands, 30 second handstand hold, rope climb in a pike position, 10 press handstands, etc. There are videos on USAGymnastics website that can help you understand the tests. Basically, if she goes that route she'll have about 6 months to get ready for her first and last TOPS testing chance.

Hope that helps and best of luck!

Hmm, many gyms don't have elite teams but groups of training to be elite. My old and boss and friend defines ELITE as national team and could care less if you are training for elite because there are 200 other girls doing that.

Gym is probably fine if they have one training elite but she probably needs to get out of XCEL and looking at HOPES.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back