Different Equipment

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lilgymnast7

During my competition season I had to travel to many gyms. I am not sure if this is just me being picky, or an actual problem. When it comes to vaulting at away meets I struggle. At my gym my FHS vault looks fantastic. However, when I go to different gyms and use their vaults, it looks horrific! I crunch my legs up to go over and I dive right into it instead of going up and driving my heals up. I am quite confused on why this happens because shouldn't it look almost identical to my vault at my gym? The vault used at my gym is not exactly like the others, but a vault is a vault. My gym's vault is on the softer and squishier side, opposed to the other gyms with the harder vaults. Does this affect my vault? I am just very frustrated because it really brings down my score. I am not scared or anything like that, I just approach the vault the same way I usually would but for some reason if its not a home meet things won't work out. Any advice or tips? Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks for helping, and this question is directed towards anyone, so post away! :)

One last thing..

I also want to point out that my problem is just with vault. Floor, beam, and bars are generally fine and similar to how they are in practice.
(also wanted to add in that I love the new CB look, its a lovely color, now if I can only figure out how to search things as effective as the last search bar :) )

Okay, make sure you measure your spot for wear to start running from at the gym. And are you using the same hardness of beat board. If it is too hard or too soft it can mess up your entire vault (it sucks when they dont have the right hardness for you). Maybe talk to your coach and see if they are willing to bring a beat board to the competition (used to do that all the time).

Other than that just calm down and dont be nervous. It could also be pressure though. But dont worry my vaults used to be horrendous and now they are nearly perfect you just have to figure it out and get used to added pressure especially if you are newer to competitions or this level.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for your help! I usually start at the same starting place and the same number every time, but I am on the newer side to competing so I probably just need to adjust. Maybe its just a mental thing, who knows lol! Thank you again for all of your help, I really appreciate it.

You can adjust the springboard generally by removing and adding springs, and your coach most likely knows that. Other than that, make sure the board is the same distance away from the table every time, this makes a HUGE difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back