Different scoring systems

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi! I have watched a lot of USAG compulsory level routines from youtube. It's fun to see other systems and compare them to our Finnish system :)

One thing that I have noticed is that in US almost every gymnast got 9s and their all-arounds are 34.00 or more. Here in Finland there is just a few girls in the one meet who get 9s... I think that our scoring system must be different.

Here in Finland you are allowed to move up level if you get 32.00 or more all-around. Almost every gymnast spend 1-2 years in one level and then they move up if they have got 32.00 or more. It seems that in US you got 9s even even if it was your first meet. In here the girls often got something like 7.8 if their routines are pretty good and they can do all the skills without falling or spotting but in US you can get 8.5 even if you fall twice or something... If our girls do a really really good routine they get 8.9 or something like that. Besides that the judges doesn't show the score accurately but with 0,5 scale (If you get 7.8 it's 7.5-8 in the scoresheet and if you got 5.8 it's just "6 or less").

Previously you had to move up level if you get 36.00 because it was "too much". Nowadays we don't have that kind of limitations but I think that it wasn't a bad restriction.

I have heard that in US the falling deduction is 0.5. In here it's 1.0. And if the coach spots you the deduction can be even 2.5!

I don't know if there is judges here but I would like to show one Finnish level B floor routine (I think it's like your level 2-3). I would like to hear what would be the gymnast's score if you could decide! I know that it's hard to judge because of you don't know the requirements so I tell you the skills that are required:

1. Leg lift (90 degrees)
2. Handstand roll
3. Straight jump-straight jump with half turn 2x
4. Scale position (no time limits)
5. Two jumps/leaps (i don't know what is the right word in english!) with bended knees
6. Pirouette position (no time limits) and half turn with two foot
7. Leg lift (90 degrees)
8. Cartwheel
9. Backward roll

And there is the video:

[video=youtube;i0BWvJj3Xyc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0BWvJj3Xyc[/video]

I will tell you her real score after reading your opinions :) Please don't be mean, the girl in the video is very young and she's still working.

the gymnast in the video probably got something near a 4.5. your code used in finland is modified FIG. in the USA, FIG is only used for the elites, boys junior olympic and ncaa boys although ncaa boys is modified just a bit.

Using FIG and being harsh (because I am not sure on requirements) I got 5.9

5. Two jumps/leaps (i don't know what is the right word in english!) with bended knees
We would call these step hops in attitude position

I have watched a lot of USAG compulsory level routines from youtube. It's fun to see other systems and compare them to our Finnish system :)

One thing that I have noticed is that in US almost every gymnast got 9s and their all-arounds are 34.00 or more. Here in Finland there is just a few girls in the one meet who get 9s... I think that our scoring system must be different.

I have noticed the same thing comparing videos with what I've seen in competitions here in New Zealand. I see the USAG routines that score in the 9's and they look quite untidy to me (I'm mainly looking at the lower levels). Here you have to be very good to score in the 8's and almost perfect to score in the 9's. Very few gymnasts score in the 9's here, some score in the 8's and many will score in the 6's and 7's.

that's cause the FIG scoring system is much more exact and difficult than our JO way of doing things.

7.8 using our deductions from Australia. If you start with a 10.0 start value.

Thank you all!

We don't use FIG here in Finland when it comes to levels B-D (they are like your levels 2-7) but the scoring is based on FIG. I'm a judge myself (I am allowed to judge all compulsory levels). I don't know the FIG so I was a little bit amazed when you told that she will score like 4.5! Can I ask which were the biggest errors of the routine?

Our start value is always 10.

I just watched some routines from youtube and I saw this one:

[video=youtube;TfW-GfpnEZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfW-GfpnEZI[/video]

I think that the girl in the video is very good gymnast and she did well, but 9.8??? It means "almost perfect". What did the judges think about? If I had been the judge, I would have given like 8.7 or something like that.

pihlajat, if you stated that a fall is 1.0 then you are using FIG. USAG JUnior Olympic rules have a fall at .50.

how about an out of bounds? are you at a .30 deduction? ours is .10.

and the video above certainly is not a 9.8. i agree with you.:)

Dunno:

No, we don't use FIG in its entirety (I'm sorry, english is not my first language so I don't have the right terms to explain what kind of our scoring system is...! It's quite complicated). For example the split requirements are different than in FIG. An little out of bound is 0.10 and bigger (like 20-30 cm) is 0.3 and very big bound is 0.5. You have your own system for lover levels and I think that we have one too. But it's a little bit stricter than yours but not as strict as FIG is (I guess)

I think that the girl in the video is very good gymnast and she did well, but 9.8??? It means "almost perfect". What did the judges think about? If I had been the judge, I would have given like 8.7 or something like that.

That video is Level 3 here in the US, and I think a lot of times (not always) Level 3 is judged a little more leniently than Level 4 and above. And I agree that even with my untrained eyes that didn't seem like a 9.8. My daughter is doing Level 3 here and has done some in house competitions. She always gets mid-8's to 9's but I guarantee that if it was "real" judging for these little ones that she'd probably be getting 5's or 6's.

Here in the UK we use the FIG code.
For 'levels' gymnasts do optional routines with set requirements - for example, for level 4 (age 9) floor a gymnast must show:
A dance passage of 2 different elements, at least 1 showing 180 degree split (0.5)
1 acrobatic line including 2 different saltos (0.5)
2 saltos in different directions (0.5)
Dismount, A or B salto only (0.5)
Double salto is given (0.5)

The 8 highest elements count towards the score - 5 dance and 3 acro maximum

Certain elements are banned, such as 540 degree twist, double saltos, leaps, jumps and hops with turns and hops jumps and leaps to front support.

FIG deductions are taken.

A typical level 4 routine would be:

Punchfront step out, roundoff bhs tuck back salto
Straddle Jump
change leg split leap, split leap, w hop
Full Spin

That routine would meet all requirements (provided all skills counted) and be marked out of 12.9 (if my judging brain is switched on!)
All FIG deductions apply.

'Grades' are slightly different in that they have compulsory skills and provided they all count, routines are marked out of 13.5. FIG deductions apply. As some skills required are not coded, they have their own deductions, but it is generally based upon the FIG rules eg bent legs can be 0.1, 0.3 or 0.5 depending upon severity of the bend.

Our 'Novice' routines are usually marked out of 10 provided all requirements are met and skills performed correctly. I think a modified scoring system is used. scores are usually in the 7s or 8s. Gymnasts can use bonus skills to be marked out of 10.5 or even 11 so then some routines score in the 9s and 10s but not too often!

It is interesting to hear about other scoring systems.

I think if you're watching videos on youtube you're going to see a lot of high 8's and 9's because parents don't generally post the 6.5's! But even watching the videos that people post here on CB, I've seen such a wide range on the scoring (just within USAG)... from routines that look to me (not a judge, or a gymnast... just a mom who has had to sit through a lot of meets) to be practically perfect and get low scores to routines that look like they have a lot of room for improvement and get super-high scores (like that one level 3 routine posted). I think it can be frustrating to parent, gymnast, and coach alike, but I suppose it's the nature of the beast.

I know it's ethno-centric of me, but if I see a post on CB that talks about some other scoring system, I usually ignore it. I am so befuddled by the USAG system that to throw anything else into the mix (what do you mean you got an 11????) just makes my head spin.:confused:

If you are looking at lower levels - for example level 3 - these are scored VERY generously. My little bird got a 37 @ her last meet. I expect next year at level four to receive scores more like 27! Lol. These lower levels are nonsanctioned and for fun.

Dunno:

No, we don't use FIG in its entirety (I'm sorry, english is not my first language so I don't have the right terms to explain what kind of our scoring system is...! It's quite complicated). For example the split requirements are different than in FIG. An little out of bound is 0.10 and bigger (like 20-30 cm) is 0.3 and very big bound is 0.5. You have your own system for lover levels and I think that we have one too. But it's a little bit stricter than yours but not as strict as FIG is (I guess)

hey there...don't apologize. i understand you completely.:)

I have no idea what system we use here, but out of bounds is 0.1 here. Hardly anyone gets a 9.8 over here. Looking at the video routine, as I am not a judge I can't score it but my general impression is that here she might score in the 6's. I mean there are some obvious deductions even to untrained eyes, bent arms, legs apart and so on. I am getting judge training soon (yay!). (Oh, and our novice competitions which are recreational are judged a lot more leniently.)

I think if you're watching videos on youtube you're going to see a lot of high 8's and 9's because parents don't generally post the 6.5's! But even watching the videos that people post here on CB, I've seen such a wide range on the scoring (just within USAG)... from routines that look to me (not a judge, or a gymnast... just a mom who has had to sit through a lot of meets) to be practically perfect and get low scores to routines that look like they have a lot of room for improvement and get super-high scores (like that one level 3 routine posted). I think it can be frustrating to parent, gymnast, and coach alike, but I suppose it's the nature of the beast.

I know it's ethno-centric of me, but if I see a post on CB that talks about some other scoring system, I usually ignore it. I am so befuddled by the USAG system that to throw anything else into the mix (what do you mean you got an 11????) just makes my head spin.:confused:

oh, wow...I totally agree with this!!! Even here in the states!! lol! My ds started competing, and he actually warned me NOT to cheer out loud if he got a 10!! I said, why not??? after all, for my dd, 10 is a perfect score, right? Well, come to find out, the boys score out of 15...16 with bonus, so a 10 is a pretty low score...

can't you just see me now, screaming "MY son got a 10!!! yippie!!!" and him bowing his head and shaking with embarassment...? tee hee... :D

We had that when we first switched from the 10 to FIG scoring. A mom who really wasn't clued in saw her dd's score flashed up a 10, she whooped and hollered and her dd was clearly embarrassed. A 10 ain't so hot when it's out of 14.4!!!

Over here we have a difficulty score too, usually it is 5, 6, or 7, added to the execution score, so the total score is out of 15, 16 or 17.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back